Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 11:35 AM

352 posts, read 324,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
maybe for someone who has never been to a big city...

Yeah, because the city with some of the world's most famous buildings, countless museums and more history than pretty much anywhere else in the country is boring.

You need to get over yourself. I've never encountered anyone who is more of a self-righteous snob when it comes to travel. I've been to 40+ countries and 46 states, and countless cities within those places and DC is one of the places where I never tire of. NYC, SF, DC...those are the three best cities to visit in the US. New Orleans and Boston are also great, but those three are simply spectacular and you'll find few people who disagree about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2014, 12:08 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,722,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HedgeYourInvestments View Post

Yeah, because the city with some of the world's most famous buildings, countless museums and more history than pretty much anywhere else in the country is boring.

You need to get over yourself. I've never encountered anyone who is more of a self-righteous snob when it comes to travel. I've been to 40+ countries and 46 states, and countless cities within those places and DC is one of the places where I never tire of. NYC, SF, DC...those are the three best cities to visit in the US. New Orleans and Boston are also great, but those three are simply spectacular and you'll find few people who disagree about that.
I am glad you are never tired of DC. You can save a lot of money by not traveling outside the US then.

SF is worth a 2 day visit, that's all. If you think it is spectacular, also good for you.

Old 11-05-2014, 04:13 PM

352 posts, read 324,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I am glad you are never tired of DC. You can save a lot of money by not traveling outside the US then.

SF is worth a 2 day visit, that's all. If you think it is spectacular, also good for you.
As I stated above.

I have been to more than 100 European cities, many in other places as well and SF and DC rank in the top 10. You really need to get over yourself, you'll notice that pretty much nobody else agrees with you.

Old 11-06-2014, 03:05 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,379,079 times
If Singapore made it as the best destination country, why NOT as a best destination city?

Singapore is a city state.

Old 11-06-2014, 06:07 AM

3,379 posts, read 5,534,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_moore View Post
If Singapore made it as the best destination country, why NOT as a best destination city?

Singapore is a city state.
I guess this way you can open up a free spot for the list.

Old 11-06-2014, 07:43 AM

Quote:
As I stated above.

I have been to more than 100 European cities, many in other places as well and SF and DC rank in the top 10. You really need to get over yourself, you'll notice that pretty much nobody else agrees with you.
The fact that you think DC and SF rank top 10 among "100 European cities" you have visited shows a lot about your taste. Or maybe it is because speaking English is one of those "must-haves" by your standard. I don't know

just off the top of head

London
Paris
Barcelona
Rome
Istanbul
Prague
Munich
Vienna
Florence
Madrid
Edinburgh
Venice
Seville
Salzburg

all seems to blow DC/SF out of the water. The Smithsonian's or the Golden Gate Bridge are hardly enough to compare, Amalfi coast crushes PCH instantly, and I don't even need to discuss the architecture. Even Montreal is more interesting than DC.

There is not a single UNESCO heritage site in DC/SF, while basically the entire city of Rome is a heritage site. I would gladly take Milan or Brussels, which I consider boring European cities, over SF/DC any day of the year.

But congrats! There is no need for you to explore the world and you will be totally happy visiting fantastic American cities. I am sorry you have to waste so much money in visiting 100+ cities in other countries, most of which are not even as interesting as Washington DC.

Old 11-06-2014, 01:51 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,401,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
Nicaragua and not CR (or even Panama?) ,sounds strange to me...cheaper doesn't always mean "best value", it can also mean "cheap" or "cheapo" (in the figurative sense)!
IMO Nicaragua is a much better destination than both CR and Panama. I am glad they put Nicaragua on the list.

Old 11-06-2014, 02:02 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,534,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
IMO Nicaragua is a much better destination than both CR and Panama. I am glad they put Nicaragua on the list.
Have only been to Nicaragua myself, but I agree. Costa Rica and Panama are obvious, yet Nicaragua offers the same benefits more or less, is way cheaper, and statistically the safest of the bunch. I love that country. I need to get back there soon to see more.

Old 11-07-2014, 12:52 AM

1,161 posts, read 2,447,811 times
More than 100 cities in Europe.... that's hardcore traveling covering the provincial minor cities and larger towns. You'd really have to go out of your way to see many of these places.

I enjoy San Francisco but I'd be hard pressed to nominate Washington as one of the top ten cities. You could probably slip Washington into a top 50 place but top ten is a different story.

In no particular order these are ten cities I'd rank well above Washington:

London
Paris
Rome
Vienna
Hong Kong
Sydney
Melbourne
New York
Copenhagen
St. Petersburg

Washington has excellent museums and some decent architecture and monuments, but it lacks the je ne sais quoi that the major cities (large and small) have. For all the power associated with Washington, at heart it's still a provincial American city.

Quote:
As I stated above.

Old 11-07-2014, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallybalt View Post
For all the power associated with Washington, at heart it's still a provincial American city.
and cold and sterile. lack of any unique culture.
Museums don't make a great travel destination alone. Plenty of folks don't spend many hours just to see each museums. Many don't enjoy them at all. Most flock to Louvre etc just like everyone else without the slightest idea what they heck they saw - it is just one of those "must-go" places to check off a list, that's all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel