Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 07:54 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,875,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
I'm still confused on why visiting the beaches is not recommended . . .?
That's my opinion:
This is the reason...this is the thing: Everyone wants a relaxing beach vacation but people in the U.S. have a choice of fantastic beaches, be it in Florida, Texas, California, or the coast of the Carolina's. For the majority of the population it's within a day's drive away, and it's relatively inexpensive. These beaches for the most part are superior to European beaches, which tend to be rocky, a bit dirtier, narrow, and overcrowded. Now, if I go to Europe, with all it's unique cultural and historical sights, it's not going to be to sit on a lawn chair, get sunburned, and stare at the same ocean scene (just in an inferior form) that I can just as well get in the US. Nope, I want to spend my valuable time, well, seeing historical and cultural sights.

The southern beaches of Portugal attract the British in droves. For good reason - the beaches and weather in England (the north sea) are not really ideal for sunbathing and relaxing, and forget swimming. They don't care about the culture, that's not what they are there for, they want to relax in a cheap beach area. This is Daytona Beach to them. So that's another problem - there are so many Brits in South Portugal coast that it turns into a mini-Britian. Everyone is british except for the service workers. Any sense of the Portuguese culture is replaced by businesses catering to the British. That unique Portugues resteraunt will be replaced by, you guessed it - the English staple of fish N chips.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2014, 08:01 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,714,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
That's my opinion:
This is the reason...this is the thing: Everyone wants a relaxing beach vacation but people in the U.S. have a choice of fantastic beaches, be it in Florida, Texas, California, or the coast of the Carolina's. For the majority of the population it's within a day's drive away, and it's relatively inexpensive. These beaches for the most part are superior to European beaches, which tend to be rocky, a bit dirtier, narrow, and overcrowded. Now, if I go to Europe, with all it's unique cultural and historical sights, it's not going to be to sit on a lawn chair, get sunburned, and stare at the same ocean scene (just in an inferior form) that I can just as well get in the US. Nope, I want to spend my valuable time, well, seeing historical and cultural sights.

The southern beaches of Portugal attract the British in droves. For good reason - the beaches and weather in England (the north sea) are not really ideal for sunbathing and relaxing, and forget swimming. So that's another problem - there are so many Brits in South Portugal coast that it turns into a mini-Britian. Everyone is british except for the service workers. Any sense of the Portuguese culture is replaced by businesses catering to the British. That unique Portugues resteraunt will be replaced by, you guessed it - the English staple of fish N chips.
good analysis. It sounds stupid to fly 10 hours to lie on a beach you already have within 2 hours from your home, especially when there is so much culture and history to see that is completely absent in your home town.

Don't agree "everyone wants a relaxing beach vacation" though. I used to live 20 minutes drive from the California beach and never spent more than 20 minutes on those beaches. I still don't do "beach vacation" whatsoever now living in Canada. I just don't like wasting time on a beach achieving nothing except acceleration of skin ageing. If I want to relax, there are 100 better ways to do so.

Old 11-03-2014, 08:44 AM

1,882 posts, read 2,078,223 times
Of the areas we've visited in Portugal, the Alentejo was by far our favorite. Big sky, lovely villages, lots of history. We would go back to the Horta da Moura near Monsaraz in a heartbeat. Nothing short of splendid.

Old 11-04-2014, 06:56 AM

8,863 posts, read 8,434,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardyloo View Post
If you've been to anywhere in Asia(except for Japan), you'd realize that all those "rude" drivers in the west are ultra civilized and polite.

Old 11-04-2014, 07:23 AM

587 posts, read 915,211 times
Just curious, what draws you to Portugal vs. Spain?

Old 11-04-2014, 07:28 AM

1,409 posts, read 2,739,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harlowvart View Post
Many answers to this question, but doesn't have to be "versus", they are both amazing destinations. Portugal is different, less touristy, more traditional and "untouched" in a way (I guess the Algarve isn't.) It's also a lot cheaper, very reasonable. Spain is a very large country, and the regions are very diverse. True in Portugal too, but to a lesser degree, and the regions are closer together, so less travel.

Old 11-04-2014, 07:55 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,714,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harlowvart View Post
my motivation is there is a ticket sale for C$500 (US$450) round trip to Lisbon, while to Spain it is over $800. Portugal is not Spain, and one shouldn't assume the two are highly likely.

Portugal is a much older country than Spain, and I am sure there is a lot to see. Plus, it is kind of cool to visit a country that is not that popular (like France/Italy).

Old 11-07-2014, 02:06 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,006,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
I'm still confused on why visiting the beaches is not recommended . . .?
I think it depends where you go. I loved the beach I visited in the surf town of Ericeira. The town was all whites and blues. The beach was breathtaking beautiful, crystal clear water, and just 30 minutes from Lisbon.

I've spent a lot of time in Spain, 2 weeks in Greece, and about 10 days in Portugal. I visited Portugal the summer of 2013.

I simply loved it! Spain was a good value, Portugal was a *great* value. Friendly people, superb food (especially for the money) amazing architecture (visit the monastery in Belem) and great live music in the Alfama.
Lisbon was sort of a ramshackle San Francisco. Great street scene. It felt so alive and friendly.

Do not miss this museum: Gulbenkian Museum
Even if you're "not a museum person" it is an amazing collection.

We also visited a wolf sanctuary which was a pleasant 30 minute bus ride through the rolling hills outside of Lisbon. It was a very natural setting, the workers there were knowledgable and spoke English.
Grupo Lobo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel