U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 12:28 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,583,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman249 View Post
lol! Really?

English speaking Canadians are well aware that you cannot expect service in English in much of Quebec. I would assume that most Americans that travel to Quebec would have done some research or would have some knowledge of the fact that Quebec operates mainly in French. How someone can DEMAND service in a foreign language beats me ...

But then again, stupidity has no limits ...
Yes, it was unbelievable. The shopkeeper spoke no English, and the woman kept yelling in English like the lady would understand if she spoke loudly enough.

My French is pretty much limited to saying hello, goodbye, yes, no, please, thank you, ordering a meal or glass of wine, and asking for a toilet. When I need assistance I will say in French, "Bonjour, je ne parles pas Francais, pouvez-vous me aider?" While in Quebec I have yet to not have someone either switch to English or get someone who speaks English. I have had people in Paris look at me like I was the Devil and walk away though.

That said at least you know it's a different language. In Newfoundland you know they are speaking English, but don't have a damn idea what they are saying.

Last edited by annerk; 11-06-2014 at 12:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2014, 12:51 PM

2,935 posts, read 4,765,694 times
Quote:
But that's true! Everyone does love USD. You can get away with paying in USD in much of the world. I have even done it Western Europe and Asia.
Why? In almost every case I can think of where USD are accepted in other countries, you're getting ripped off on the exchange rate. I would never pay in USD if I didn't absolutely have to, unless it's a country that uses USD like Cambodia or Ecuador or something.

Old 11-06-2014, 01:28 PM

35,324 posts, read 25,165,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
On a small cruise on the Amazon, a passenger commenting on the water (which is brown), "it's dirty."

They are correct. It has a very large amount of sediment (dirt) suspended in it.

Old 11-06-2014, 01:30 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,994,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
Why? In almost every case I can think of where USD are accepted in other countries, you're getting ripped off on the exchange rate. I would never pay in USD if I didn't absolutely have to, unless it's a country that uses USD like Cambodia or Ecuador or something.
I agree. I never pay with USD unless I absolutely have to or if I am getting an exchange rate better than that available at the banks. Sometimes, hotels might give you a cash exchange rate that is better than the bank exchange rate.

But these days you can use your credit card and get excellent exchange rates for most currencies without any fees. So I don't have to carry much cash or exchange a lot of money anymore ..

Old 11-06-2014, 02:02 PM

8,002 posts, read 16,055,973 times
I was a lifeguard in college at a popular beach in New England.

I had a visibly panicked woman from the midwest come up and tell me, "a crab bit me." I said, "ok... are you bleeding or in a lot of pain?" She said, "No, I'm not bleeding, but is it poisonous?"

I have no patience for that type of question, so I told her that it was probably poisonous and that she should get it checked out at the ER. I can only imagine that there's an ER nurse out there with an equally funny story about a poisonous crab "biting" a woman at the beach. I would feel bad, but it takes a heaping dose of stupidity/ignorance (both?) to think that a pinch (crabs don't "bite") from a crab at a New England beach may be poisonous. Beyond that, 90 percent of crab pinches at that beach were actually people stepping on broken shells or sharp rocks combined with surf moving the ground beneath their feet giving the impression they were pinched. Rarely was anyone actually pinched (between growing up and swimming at the beach every summer and spending 40 hours a week there, I have never been pinched).

Old 11-06-2014, 02:24 PM

21,940 posts, read 27,338,144 times
Quote:
lol! Really?

English speaking Canadians are well aware that you cannot expect service in English in much of Quebec.
Just because they know it doesn't meant they accept it or gladly "roll with it".

I live in Quebec and witness English-speaking people (from where they are I usually have no idea) being rude to francophone service staff several times a month.

Old 11-06-2014, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Just because they know it doesn't meant they accept it or gladly "roll with it".

I live in Quebec and witness English-speaking people (from where they are I usually have no idea) being rude to francophone service staff several times a month.
I find this kind of behavior to be very strange. Who in their right mind would get angry at hotel staff in China because they don't speak English?

Old 11-06-2014, 02:35 PM

21,940 posts, read 27,338,144 times
Quote:
I find this kind of behavior to be very strange. Who in their right mind would get angry at hotel staff in China because they don't speak English?
It's more complex than that. Assuming these people are Canadian, they are still in Canada when in Quebec so they expect I suppose to be able to feel at home (read = in English) everywhere in Canada including in Quebec.

Old 11-06-2014, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It's more complex than that. Assuming these people are Canadian, they are still in Canada when in Quebec so they expect I suppose to be able to feel at home (read = in English) everywhere in Canada including in Quebec.
Yes, I was exaggerating a little with the China example ... and I get your point.

But what Canadian tourist would go to Quebec not knowing that it has a predominantly French-speaking population. I guess some people are just stupid.

Old 11-06-2014, 08:40 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,037,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedwightguy View Post
The look on American faces as their cruise ship stops in Vancouver, British Columbia.
Particularly in the evening you don't see the city due to Stanley Parks' trees until you're under the Lions Gate Bridge.
Your cruise ship turns the corner and there it is, a city you've never heard of lit up like Xmas every night.

"I had not idea a city like this existed in North America outside of the USA.!!!
Americans have heard of Vancouver (well most of the ones I know do anyway), but they often don't realize how fabulous it's geographical setting is... Vancouver is regarded my many to have one of the finest natural setting's of all cities. Snow capped mountains, a blue oceanfront, green pines, glittering buildings. It's like Switzerland and Norway rolled up together. Vancouver and Seattle have that Pacific Northwest beauty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel