U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 10:04 PM

24,992 posts, read 23,900,059 times

Advertisements

In NYC, I once heard two tourists discussing the number of people on the sidewalks. One asked, "Where are all of these people coming from?" The other responded, "Where are they going?" They sounded very worried about this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2014, 10:57 PM

7,680 posts, read 16,098,271 times
Vancouver is like a giant Hollywood north movie set where the low to middle budget American projects go to film. Sometimes it's hard to remember there's a bigger city there that does more than double for Colorado, Seattle, New York City, North Carolina, Maine...

In Florida road construction often outstrips GPS map updates. My town had a giant flashing "YOUR GPS IS WRONG!!!" sign up for months when they built a new toll bridge approach road and turned the old one into a dead end. And you'd still see a steady stream of cars blow right by the sign and turn right on the old route like their GPS told them to, and a mile and a half later find themselves at a dead end turnaround separated from the bridge they're trying to reach by a ten foot strip of grass and decorative guard rail provided in order to prevent the giant tire crowd from trying to prevent creating their own cut back to the bridge.

Old 11-07-2014, 12:26 AM

1,207 posts, read 2,020,736 times
Heres what i encountered when my travels

Chinese lady complained in Paris why they don't take Yuans

American folks complained in Monaco to cops why they don't speak English but everybody knows Grace Kelly

American guy demanded a car with automatic transmission for a car rental in Ireland and complained how people barely drive with automatic

Old 11-07-2014, 02:00 AM

9,253 posts, read 10,907,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
They are correct. It has a very large amount of sediment (dirt) suspended in it.
Yes, and I suspected someone would comment just this way. Exactly, that is why it is brown, but the passenger was claiming it was polluted, and that was the reason it was brown. They were appalled that they had traveled all that way only to see a brown, "dirty" river. It was silly. That trip for me is one of my best traveling memories, had been a dream of mine for a long time.

Old 11-07-2014, 04:23 AM

1,161 posts, read 1,980,875 times
Many places abroad will take USD but you will be royally ripped off.

It happened to us in Budapest earlier this year. Our last night of the trip we went to a restaurant but the credit card machine was malfunctioning. We had US dollars. We didn't want to run out to an ATM machine to take out local money as we were leaving the next morning. They were not happy but accepted the dollars. And gave us an exchange rate 25% worse than the current rates. I was willing to swallow it for the convenience but I'd never attempt to pay for the entire trip in USD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman249 View Post
But that's true! Everyone does love USD. You can get away with paying in USD in much of the world. I have even done it Western Europe and Asia.

In Canada they take USD at a lot of places - coffee shops like Tim Hortons take USD all the time. Some of them will have an exchange rate written on their display board.

Old 11-07-2014, 06:09 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,583,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace587 View Post
American guy demanded a car with automatic transmission for a car rental in Ireland and complained how people barely drive with automatic
I know several people who have gotten screwed by car rental agencies in the UK and Ireland when they have rented and even pre-paid for a much more expensive automatic car (usually about $100 per day higher!), only to arrive and find the agency has no automatics and only manuals, and tells them they won't refund their money.

I know very few people in the US and Canada who own manual transmission vehicles, and many of my friends who learned to drive stick 40 years ago haven't driven one for 30 years and aren't going to try to remember while driving opposite side in a foreign country.

If I were in the shoes of someone who had reserved an automatic and learned on arrival they had done a bait and switch and only had standards, I'd be ticked and demanding they find me what I reserved as well. It's not like you reserved a red car and got a black one, more like you reserved a car with hand controls and they tried to give one with pedals. It would be just as impossible for many.

(Full disclosure, one of my cars is a stick, so I am very comfortable with it, even in an opposite drive country, although when I have a choice that won't cost me $100 a day more, I'd take the automatic.)

Old 11-07-2014, 06:12 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,583,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallybalt View Post
Many places abroad will take USD but you will be royally ripped off.

It happened to us in Budapest earlier this year. Our last night of the trip we went to a restaurant but the credit card machine was malfunctioning. We had US dollars. We didn't want to run out to an ATM machine to take out local money as we were leaving the next morning. They were not happy but accepted the dollars. And gave us an exchange rate 25% worse than the current rates. I was willing to swallow it for the convenience but I'd never attempt to pay for the entire trip in USD.
We usually only have enough USD when we travel out of the US to hold us over on the return. In other words enough to buy a coffee and magazine. Particularly with the Euro, Pound, and CD we just keep what we don't use for the next trip. I probably have a bit over $400 in varying currencies at this point in envelopes in the safe.

Old 11-07-2014, 07:58 AM

21,941 posts, read 27,338,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman249 View Post
Yes, I was exaggerating a little with the China example ... and I get your point.

But what Canadian tourist would go to Quebec not knowing that it has a predominantly French-speaking population. I guess some people are just stupid.
Yeah, I realize they can't NOT know, but that doesn't mean they are OK with it.

I suppose they think the Frenchness of Quebec should be something touristy and folkloric (like New Orleans) and not something that permeates all aspects of life.

Old 11-07-2014, 09:05 AM

10,510 posts, read 8,428,809 times
I used to volunteer as a guide to the home of a famous 19th century American. it was not uncommon for visitors to comment on the large number of antiques the house contained, but the visitors who took the cake were those who failed to understand why everything was "so old-fashioned"!

Old 11-07-2014, 09:34 AM

8,572 posts, read 12,669,405 times
I used to compile surveys for a company. Some of the surveys were about conferences the company held for its high-end clients (sometimes CEOs of large companies). They would put the clients up in fancy hotels like the Phoenician in Scottsdale. I loved reading the surveys. Most were complimentary of the resort they got to stay at for free. But some of the comments were petty and ridiculous. One I specifically remember was, "The tissues were scratchy."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel