Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 06:48 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
I'm always amazed at the tourists who forget to pack their brains when on vacation. They fall over a cliff edge and then say it wasn't posted so it couldn't have been a dangerous cliff. Do they have "danger" signs at every drop off where ever it is they come from?
I'm amazed that you are minimizing injuries and accidents any people have, tourists or no. I would feel sad if a person got hurt falling off a cliff, particularly one that didn't have a warning sign posted. BTW, in AK where I live part time, warning signs ARE posted are high cliff areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
They also don't pack polite manners. It's like they've saved up for this vacation and everyone has to bow down to their whims since they're on vacation. The entitlement is just amazing. They visit in the rainy season and then complain when it rains.
Tourism is a major part of the economic sector in Hawaii. Hawaii has a lot of financial problems and many residents cannot afford even the basic necessities of life. So I would think twice before bitterly complaining about tourists who keep the state afloat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2014, 08:03 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,247,756 times
Not really funny, but a tourist story. I was on a flight to Russia in the late nineties. If you dislike today's flights, this was worse. I was in the last non-smoking aisle until the smoking section started...that sucks.

Anyway, about 10 rows in front of me there was a family and one of the kids was having some sort of health problem. The parents were trying so hard, but the child would break into hysterical tears various times throughout the flight. They had three other kids that were well behaved. About 11 hours into the miserable flight the child broke out crying again. The old Russian women one row behind them got up and started screaming at the parents and the child for like 3 minutes. It was a total break down by the lady. Then one of the family's other children started crying at the screaming lady, then another child started crying probably because two other kids were crying and she was scared. It was actually hilarious, like a bad movie, and sad at the same time.

Old 11-05-2014, 09:39 AM

271 posts, read 532,085 times
Anglo tourists in deep, deep Quebec barging into a hotel reception area demanding someone greet them in English, not bothering to try to attempt to greet the hosts in French first, which is the first language used by 97% of the townships, etc.

(99.99999% of the time, a French speaker would react to a heavily-accented "bonjour" by responding in English... it would be 100% in a hotel lobby)

Old 11-06-2014, 01:54 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,489,671 times
On a small cruise on the Amazon, a passenger commenting on the water (which is brown), "it's dirty."

Old 11-06-2014, 07:44 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
I live near Disney World. Some of the complaints I've heard recently...

"Why can't they do something about the heat?" Uh yeah lady, we control the weather.
"Why don't the locals go to Disney every day?" Uh, we have jobs and lives...

My favorite would be in mid-January...
"Why is it so cold here? We had to go and by long pants and sweatshirts." Uh, it's winter? Didn't you check the weather before you left?

Old 11-06-2014, 11:40 AM

1,706 posts, read 2,435,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illcosby View Post
Anglo tourists in deep, deep Quebec barging into a hotel reception area demanding someone greet them in English, not bothering to try to attempt to greet the hosts in French first, which is the first language used by 97% of the townships, etc.

(99.99999% of the time, a French speaker would react to a heavily-accented "bonjour" by responding in English... it would be 100% in a hotel lobby)
I find that a little hard to believe. What tourist would DEMAND to be greeted in a language not spoken in the region? It's like me going to Spain and DEMAND that I be greeted in English. One might send me to a doctor for a check-up.

If it does happen - it is sad, not funny.

Old 11-06-2014, 11:48 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman249 View Post
I find that a little hard to believe. What tourist would DEMAND to be greeted in a language not spoken in the region? It's like me going to Spain and DEMAND that I be greeted in English. One might send me to a doctor for a check-up.

If it does happen - it is sad, not funny.
Unfortunately I've seen it happen. It's no different than people getting upset because the shopkeeper in Paris won't accept their US Dollars. Yes, some people are that dense.

Old 11-06-2014, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Unfortunately I've seen it happen. It's no different than people getting upset because the shopkeeper in Paris won't accept their US Dollars. Yes, some people are that dense.
lol! Really?

English speaking Canadians are well aware that you cannot expect service in English in much of Quebec. I would assume that most Americans that travel to Quebec would have done some research or would have some knowledge of the fact that Quebec operates mainly in French. How someone can DEMAND service in a foreign language beats me ...

But then again, stupidity has no limits ...

Old 11-06-2014, 12:11 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,716,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Living in Canada, I have witness plenty of Americans complaining about retailers not accepting their almighty USD. One of said" What? Everyone loves USD!"

Old 11-06-2014, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Living in Canada, I have witness plenty of Americans complaining about retailers not accepting their almighty USD. One of said" What? Everyone loves USD!"
But that's true! Everyone does love USD. You can get away with paying in USD in much of the world. I have even done it Western Europe and Asia.

In Canada they take USD at a lot of places - coffee shops like Tim Hortons take USD all the time. Some of them will have an exchange rate written on their display board.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel