U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 02:22 PM

14,188 posts, read 6,444,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RooCeleste View Post
Good luck with that and yes, with a trip destination like that, every second counts. I had never heard of Little Corn Island but I just googled it and WOW!!! I need to add it to my list. That looks like the diving would be unbelievable!!! Enjoy it and please let me know how it is/post pictures!!!!
Oh for sure! Yes, it's known for it's diving & snorkeling. And no roads!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2014, 02:33 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,281,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
I believe the OP was talking about a connecting flight that came in later than expected & THAT is why they allowed the passengers on. Not that the passengers themselves didn't make it to their flight on time. My initial connection in ATL to Managua was only 45 minutes. Believe me, I was crazed wondering how I was going to make that connection. Delta eventually switched my flight so I now have a 2 hour layover which for whatever reason still makes me a little nervous but way better than 45 minutes. So, if my flight from Milwaukee into Atlanta would've been delayed or late & arrived very close to the departure time of my Atlanta to Managua flight, that would not have been my fault, that is the fault of the airline for having such a stupid flight route that leaves their international passengers with only a 45 minute layover.
Agreed.
It is a connecting flight from the same airline that sold such tickets, then they either will hold or arrange the next flight for free if the delay is too long.

Old 11-03-2014, 02:38 PM

6,353 posts, read 5,170,148 times
Within reason, they should. The airlines have very sophisticated models for determining how to optimize off-schedule operations. The models consider what the cost of missing the flight will be (for example, the passenger might miss a connection to a high-revenue international flight), versus the cost of holding up the flight so the passenger does not miss it. The models also consider the frequent flyer status of the passenger (because frequent flyers are responsible for most of the airline's business), the alternatives (e.g. another flight a couple of hours later vs. waiting all night), and what the passenger paid for the ticket.

Old 11-03-2014, 02:43 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,638,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
short answer is NO. It is the passenger's responsibility to be on time for the take off. You can't expect 200 people waiting just because one person is late. Whether it is the last flight of the day is irrelevant. You can't expect others (not to say many others) to waste time for your own mistake.

I've had planes held for me because MY CONNECTION arrived late. No fault of my own!

Old 11-03-2014, 02:46 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,638,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
Within reason, they should. The airlines have very sophisticated models for determining how to optimize off-schedule operations. The models consider what the cost of missing the flight will be (for example, the passenger might miss a connection to a high-revenue international flight), versus the cost of holding up the flight so the passenger does not miss it. The models also consider the frequent flyer status of the passenger (because frequent flyers are responsible for most of the airline's business), the alternatives (e.g. another flight a couple of hours later vs. waiting all night), and what the passenger paid for the ticket.
As a high status frequent flyer, I have had planes held because my connection was late, been given hotel rooms when the cancellation was weather related, and have had people bumped because I missed a connection they couldn't hold and they wanted to get me on the next flight which was full. When you spend $100K a year with an airline, you'd be surprised the things they will do to keep you happy.

Old 11-03-2014, 03:08 PM

7,686 posts, read 16,124,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
Within reason, they should. The airlines have very sophisticated models for determining how to optimize off-schedule operations.

And these days they're also looking at past late departures and how acceptable or awful the numbers for that metric they're reported to the DOT the past quarter have been.

Old 11-03-2014, 06:49 PM

2,563 posts, read 2,796,477 times
I think yes, especially if it's all on one airline. For example, I once was on a commuter flight to Detroit and then on to Tokyo. Unfortunately, the commuter flight had problems and they had to switch planes a few times before they could find one that worked. I got to Detroit just in time to get to the gate for the flight to Tokyo. If my flight gad been late, I would've been really mad had they not held the Tokyo flight. After all, it wasn't my fault.

Old 11-03-2014, 07:54 PM

1,158 posts, read 1,876,382 times
I've been on two flights that were delayed for departure due to late passengers.

I was leaving on a Continental flight out of San Francisco to Honolulu. Due to weather, many planes from the east were late getting into SFO. I believe there were many people delayed for our flight, myself included, and so we were delayed for departure about an hour. My connecting flight out of HNL to Guam was also held due to the late flights getting in to HNL.

The second flight was from HNL to Las Vegas. This flight was delayed by my wife, a doctor, who was helping out on a medical emergency on our flight from Maui to HNL. Hawaiian Airlines was kind enough to hold our flight out of HNL for a few minutes so we could make the flight after she had released the passenger to the EMTs on the runway.

Old 11-03-2014, 09:36 PM

3,280 posts, read 3,841,663 times
I would say it really depends on the time. If they have to hold it 45 minutes or something, that is probably going to cause everyone else on the plane to miss their connections too.

If it's a hub-hub, probably not. These flights go just about every hour, so late people can just catch the next one.

If it's the last flight of the day between a hub and Tinytown Regional airport, a hold is good.

Old 11-03-2014, 10:58 PM

18,134 posts, read 23,028,696 times
Back around 1985 when my daughter was around 7 years old, she was flying alone on a flight from WA to TN where I was (she'd gone to visit her dad). I kept close tabs on her flight and she was to make a connection somewhere like Dallas, and they always put her with a steward who would walk her to her connecting flight and make sure she was on board and tucked in (she did this several times).

One time the airline said she wouldn't make her connecting flight and I freaked out. They assured me some nice stewardess would take her home for the night. WHAT??????? I lost it on the phone with them, that they better NOT send her home with some stranger, and they better get her on her connecting flight.

They did.

So, when a plane is held for late passengers, I always wonder if there's some unaccompanied child they're making sure gets on the flight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or