Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2014, 06:00 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I agree. If you don't have a credit card then perhaps a prepaid debit/credit card would work.
They don't work--the issuer won't allow a hold on those. The best thing to do is get a credit card. use it twice a year for a tank of gas, pay it off as soon as the bill comes, and then you won't have to worry about this sort of scenario again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2014, 09:42 AM

917 posts, read 1,383,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
They don't work--the issuer won't allow a hold on those. The best thing to do is get a credit card. use it twice a year for a tank of gas, pay it off as soon as the bill comes, and then you won't have to worry about this sort of scenario again.
It's a prepaid credit card. I dont do banks. I manage my money better that way. I pay in cash and only use this debit card if I order something online & keep an extra 20.00 on their all the time for gas/emergency money.

Old 11-07-2014, 09:42 AM

43,619 posts, read 44,346,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Personally I have a credit card so I have never had to deal with this scenario. But I do know someone who only had a debit card who had deal with the type of situation when renting a car. At that time, this person had bad credit here in the USA and wasn't able to obtain an American credit card (not even a secured one as they simply didn't have the money to put away during those few months).

Old 11-07-2014, 12:00 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Personally I have a credit card so I have never had to deal with this scenario. But I do know someone who only had a debit card who had deal with the type of situation when renting a car. At that time, this person had bad credit here in the USA and wasn't able to obtain an American credit card (not even a secured one as they simply didn't have the money to put away during those few months).
It is one of the costs of having bad credit.

Old 11-07-2014, 12:37 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,605,540 times
I rent cars with my debit card all the time and have never had any problems.

Old 11-07-2014, 01:01 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,268,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
I rent cars with my debit card all the time and have never had any problems.
Perhaps you have enough funds in your account that a hold isn't a problem. Even still, it's safer to use a credit card because you have a better chance to dispute charges if there's a problem.

Old 11-07-2014, 01:07 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissapla12 View Post
Debit card. And that's what theyre telling me.. It's Marriott. (Springhill Suites). I keep getting a different story from everyone.. (even spoke to the manager). We didnt leave the hotel trashed or anything. Just trying to figure out why they wont release the hold. Having the extra person in the room came to mind but I didnt want to ask

Is this the unattentive boyfriend who doesn't pay for anything who decided to bring along a friend without telling you on a weekend trip that was supposed to be the two of you alone because you have a long distance relationship and the friend stayed in the same room as you and the boyfriend and whatever else I don't remember from the other thread?

Call the corporate office of the hotel and speak to the accounting/billing department and pay for the extra person that was in the room.

Old 11-07-2014, 01:11 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
Is there a reason why a hotel wont release the hold on my credit card? it's already been close to 2 wks and they still havent given me my money back. I called and they keep giving me the run around saying there might be an issue as to why they kept it but nothing is coming up on the system. (makes no sense right?)

When i first made the reservation, I only made it for 2 but it became 3 without my knowledge and I had no choice. (Long story ) Not sure if the hotel took notice or if it even matters to them. But I cant get a straight answer as to why they wont release the hold.

Anyone know why it takes so long? Ive called my bank and they told me to check with the hotel..
Quote:
I paid for it in cash. But they asked for a deposit on my credit card. I rarely use debit cards
Quote:
It's a prepaid credit card. I dont do banks. I manage my money better that way. I pay in cash and only use this debit card if I order something online & keep an extra 20.00 on their all the time for gas/emergency money.

How could you call your bank if you don't do banks?

There is never a hold put on my card when I walk into the hotel and pay them cash when I have only reserved the room on the debt card.

When you discovered the third person was going to stay in the room you should have walked right down to the front desk and paid for that person.

In the future either get a real debit/credit card or don't reserve, find a hotel when you get there and pay cash.

Old 11-07-2014, 03:06 PM

4,792 posts, read 8,185,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
Never seen a hotel care in the US.
Many hotels in my area "care". Rate is for 2 adults with 2 children under 12. If the desk clerk sees anymore than that at check in they are required to add the additional charges before issuing the room key.

Old 11-07-2014, 03:38 PM

917 posts, read 1,383,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
How could you call your bank if you don't do banks?

There is never a hold put on my card when I walk into the hotel and pay them cash when I have only reserved the room on the debt card.

When you discovered the third person was going to stay in the room you should have walked right down to the front desk and paid for that person.

In the future either get a real debit/credit card or don't reserve, find a hotel when you get there and pay cash.
It's a prepaid card from Wal-Mart so it would be considered "Green Dot Bank". Thats who I called. I usually use La Quinta when I reserve a hotel and they never put a hold on my card. They just verify the number matches with the card number I used to make a reservation. (I usually make my reservations months in advance). I always pay cash but I know they require a CC to hold the reservation. I am avoiding this hotel from now on. Wasnt all that great considering what it cost. Pictures def fooled me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel