U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 09:49 AM

9,421 posts, read 17,401,654 times

Advertisements

We stayed at (iirc) Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort a couple years ago for my son's wedding. We loved it. There were around 10 restaurants and bars, several pools and hot tubs (plus a private hot tub on our deck), minimal shopping (would have liked a little more, as my wife didn't pack enough clothes). The rooms were fabulous, food was delicious and varied, hotel staff did a great job, and the restaurant and bar staff was always pleasant and "right there" when you wanted them. The whole resort staff was really pleasant. My wife and I commented to each other several times about how friendly they all were. The beach was lovely and uncrowded. I don't recall ANY special activities. None.

The first night we were there we had a little 5-10 minute visit with our concierge, or whatever they called him. He explained what all was available -- what restaurants offered what, what bars offered what (dancing, etc.), other services that were offered, and a few shopping and sightseeing trips outside the resort that they could handle for us if we wanted. Other than that, there was no push to do anything. Some of our group (of 60-70) went shopping, sightseeing and/or golfing. We just hung out and relaxed.

It was the first time that either my wife or I had ever stayed at an all inclusive resort. I never thought I'd care for one, but we both agree that it was one of the nicest vacations we've ever taken.

It was early-mid October, and the weather was perfect. We didn't want to leave!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2014, 10:47 AM

4,573 posts, read 4,440,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Most if not all of the all inclusives in the Caribbean have this nonsense.
Even the more expensive adults only resort Sandals does it.
Interesting. I've been to several AIs (Mexico, DR, Jamaica) and none had the the level of obnoxiousness OP describes. Yes, there was water aerobics in the morning, in one part of one pool, but I happen to love that. There was never anything else going on in the pool itself. Maybe once a day staff would walk through the pool area announcing some activity like horseback riding or target shooting, but it was just a brief, pleasant invitation.

Old 11-12-2014, 10:55 AM

9,078 posts, read 9,512,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
Interesting. I've been to several AIs (Mexico, DR, Jamaica) and none had the the level of obnoxiousness OP describes. Yes, there was water aerobics in the morning, in one part of one pool, but I happen to love that. There was never anything else going on in the pool itself. Maybe once a day staff would walk through the pool area announcing some activity like horseback riding or target shooting, but it was just a brief, pleasant invitation.

What were the resorts you stayed at?

Old 11-12-2014, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
I can never understand the appeal of all-inclusive resorts. Well I do understand the simplicity and ease, but why would one travel to an exotic foreign spot only to spend time in the pursuit of belly-flop contests and volleyball with the same countrymen you see every day. You can do that at home without travel.
It's just somehow insulting to the ideals of travel.
I hear what you're saying, and in general I now like to travel to "real" places. But I have enjoyed several AI vacations in the past, particularly during periods of high stress at my job, where all I wanted to do was get away, do nothing, and not have to think or plan anything. AIs are perfect for that. Now that I am retired, live in a warm climate, and we have our own pool in the backyard, I kinda feel like life is one long AI experience! So now I plan vacations that let us truly see and experience our big beautiful world.

Different strokes for different folks, or for different times in folks' lives.

Old 11-12-2014, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
What were the resorts you stayed at?
I won't be able to tell you exactly which resort at which place (without doing a lot of digging), but we have stayed at Excellence, Occidental, multiple Riu's.

Old 11-12-2014, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
I won't be able to tell you exactly which resort at which place (without doing a lot of digging), but we have stayed at Excellence, Occidental, multiple Riu's.

That's fine, I am looking more for the brands. This is helpful!

It was Riu that I encountered this and from what I have seen in my searches, this is standard for them to "entertain" you.

Old 11-12-2014, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
That's fine, I am looking more for the brands. This is helpful!

It was Riu that I encountered this and from what I have seen in my searches, this is standard for them to "entertain" you.
That's too bad. I enjoyed the Riu's we stayed at, but like so many good things, they apparently have made some changes for the worse. I haven't been to an AI for about 3 years.

Old 11-12-2014, 01:54 PM

11,563 posts, read 13,630,339 times
Villa Premiere Hotel & Spa Puerto Vallarta in Mexico

Stay there next time. All inclusive, none of the BS and within walking distance of downtown.

Old 11-12-2014, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Villa Premiere Hotel & Spa Puerto Vallarta in Mexico

Stay there next time. All inclusive, none of the BS and within walking distance of downtown.

That place looks awesome! I loved the downtown, too.

We are not going back there, though . Looking to try someplace different, likely Carribean side this time

Old 11-12-2014, 02:53 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,641,231 times
I highly recommend Couples San Souci in Jamaica for all-inclusive. Extremely quiet and laid back. There is some entertainment stuff in the evenings, but nothing even remotely like the OP. Very secluded, only 150 rooms, private beaches, with one being all-nude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel