U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2014, 02:42 PM

114 posts, read 118,898 times

Advertisements

I had to cancel an international flight in October due to medical reasons. I purchased travel insurance at the time of purchase, at the American Airline site.

I have submitted a claim and supporting documents to the company, including a statement from my doctor saying she advised me to cancel the trip for medical reasons.

I have no idea if the insurance will pay me for the cost of the tickets (me and spouse, $2900 total).

But.....if they do honor the claim, what happens to my 'credit' with American Airlines....does it go away, or is it still there for me to use, less their $300 per ticket re-booking fee?

Just wondering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2014, 02:48 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,993,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by franniejacks View Post
I had to cancel an international flight in October due to medical reasons. I purchased travel insurance at the time of purchase, at the American Airline site.

I have submitted a claim and supporting documents to the company, including a statement from my doctor saying she advised me to cancel the trip for medical reasons.

I have no idea if the insurance will pay me for the cost of the tickets (me and spouse, $2900 total).

But.....if they do honor the claim, what happens to my 'credit' with American Airlines....does it go away, or is it still there for me to use, less their $300 per ticket re-booking fee?

Just wondering.
Well, did you tell your insurance that you received a credit for the ticket less the $300 booking fees from AA? If yes, they will most likely not return the full $2900. They might even ask you for additional information regarding any credit or refund you may have received.

But, to answer your main question - the insurance company has nothing to do with the AA credit. Whatever you get from insurance will be in addition to your AA travel credit.

Old 11-11-2014, 02:56 PM

114 posts, read 118,898 times
The insurance company obviously knows everything associated with my tickets; it's part of their record. They are American's designated insurance carrier that is linked to the AA.com purchase page.

It is a non-refundable ticket; but AA allows you to rebook if you pay $300 per ticket rebooking fee. But you have to use it within 12 months of original purchase date (I purchased in early August)....problem is, we don't really want to be in Sevilla Spain in August... our orginial travel dates were Oct 23 returning Nov. 10. However, AA will not let us rebook beyond the 12 month purchase date.

That said, if I have a $2300 credit, I may consider flying to Sevilla in August, then connecting to somewhere cooler in Europe, rather than let it go to waste. If indeed it is still available to me if the insurance company pays my claim.

Old 11-16-2014, 12:00 PM

4,657 posts, read 7,704,188 times
Insurance would reimburse you the cancellation/rebooking fees as you retain a credit with the airline.

Old 11-16-2014, 12:38 PM

6,312 posts, read 6,962,789 times
I would ask for no credit and get a full refund from insurance, if it is possible. Please make sure before following my advice though, I have no experience with this!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel