Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 12:26 AM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times

Advertisements

If you go to a bar late in the evening and the barmaid tells you that a glass of beer costs $200 US dollars, a glass of wine $300, etc., etc., you're in a brothel. LOL! The bartender told us to tip her and she would buy us a drink. It was a very nice looking place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2014, 08:07 AM

4,221 posts, read 4,745,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
If you go to a bar late in the evening and the barmaid tells you that a glass of beer costs $200 US dollars, a glass of wine $300, etc., etc., you're in a brothel. LOL! The bartender told us to tip her and she would buy us a drink. It was a very nice looking place.
Ok...lol

Old 11-14-2014, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billl View Post
You can wear jeans if you want, but you will look like an American.

For visiting the museums jeans are probably fine. But when you go out in the evening for dinner you may feel out of place.

We dressed "business casual" when we were in Paris and we felt like we fit in.

Is that bad? lol

I had already started planning out my outfits...I guess I'll revisit that.

Old 11-14-2014, 08:53 AM

3,262 posts, read 5,001,986 times
It's not so much that you don't want to look like an American, it's more like you don't want to look like a tourist. Obvious tourists tend to get ripped off more often.

Here's an interesting article about attitudes, dress, and behavior in Paris: French Etiquette: (How not to Act Like Such a Tourist).

Since you're going to be there in December, be prepared for some cold, raw weather. It may be rainy, so make sure you have a warm raincoat and take an umbrella. You'll probably be spending a lot of time outdoors, so you want to be prepared. Also, you'll probably notice that all the French women (and most of the men) will be wearing scarves. Want to look like a vrai Parisienne? Wear a scarf.

French women do wear jeans, especially younger women. But they tend to be nice, well-fitting jeans, and they're worn with very nice jackets, shoes, and scarves. Did I mention the need for a scarf?

Old 11-14-2014, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
It's not so much that you don't want to look like an American, it's more like you don't want to look like a tourist. Obvious tourists tend to get ripped off more often.

Here's an interesting article about attitudes, dress, and behavior in Paris: French Etiquette: (How not to Act Like Such a Tourist).

Since you're going to be there in December, be prepared for some cold, raw weather. It may be rainy, so make sure you have a warm raincoat and take an umbrella. You'll probably be spending a lot of time outdoors, so you want to be prepared. Also, you'll probably notice that all the French women (and most of the men) will be wearing scarves. Want to look like a vrai Parisienne? Wear a scarf.

French women do wear jeans, especially younger women. But they tend to be nice, well-fitting jeans, and they're worn with very nice jackets, shoes, and scarves. Did I mention the need for a scarf?
Well, I've got that part down already...here in Chicago I wear scarves every.single.day.

Old 11-14-2014, 09:37 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
Since everyone including me seems to think you're female, I'll offer up another ' How French women dress' article:

Tips for Dressing Like a French Woman - Condé Nast Traveler

Comfortable shoes that are not sneakers are pretty key- one of the reasons Parisian women stay thin is because they're walking or standing on a metro car for two hours every day, and ones they're past about 20, they're only going to break out the stiletto heels for very special occasions.

Old 11-14-2014, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Since everyone including me seems to think you're female, I'll offer up another ' How French women dress' article:

Tips for Dressing Like a French Woman - Condé Nast Traveler

Comfortable shoes that are not sneakers are pretty key- one of the reasons Parisian women stay thin is because they're walking or standing on a metro car for two hours every day, and ones they're past about 20, they're only going to break out the stiletto heels for very special occasions.
Thanks for the tips...and yes, I am a female I could not see any of the pics in the link above, but I did read the tips. I will be putting back one of my dresses I had planned on packing (it's going to be too short to wear there based on what I've read ). Luckily, I have a lot of black in my closet. I had planned on purchasing a pair of all black Nike wedges for this trip (they're called the Nike Dunk Sky High Mesh in Black if anyone's interested in looking at them since CD doesn't let you post pics), but I think I will pass on that for now based on how everyone is saying to dress.

Luckily I have a lot of black in my closet

Old 11-14-2014, 10:10 AM

Last clothing question...as far as pants, besides jeans my closet is almost exclusively leggings by the company "Hue".

In particular, I own the Hue corduroy leggings (you'll have to Google them since I can't post pics on CD). Will they be appropriate or seem tacky? I think if I wear a long enough blouse and a scarf with simple accessories I should be fine. I own them in neutral colors (black, tan, grey, etc.). I was just wondering if those would be the same as or worse than jeans....

Old 11-14-2014, 12:52 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,310,364 times
Jeans and the dunk wedge would look fine in Paris. Younger people look similar to those in London or NYC or cool kids in Chicago. Look at the look books for a store like Colette or brand like APC. APC is super french and they do a collab with Nike ever year. Last summer every woman under 30 was wearing a romper and white Stan Smiths. Americans are slobs but the notion that Parisian fashion is unique from other global cities is obsolete. Everyone reads The Sartorialist and all the same fashion tumblrs and instagrams now. I'd post a link to my friend's very french wife but her instagram is on private. Right now in Paris she's wearing a tan trench coat, black skinny jeans, a black turtle neck and white sneakers. He is wearing jogger pants, a camo jacket, fancy trainers and a camp cap. I can't think of what would make someone look more like an American tourist than "business casual." LOL.

Last edited by rzzzz; 11-14-2014 at 01:00 PM..

Old 11-15-2014, 10:50 AM

556 posts, read 946,500 times
You will be fine in jeans, just stick to clean, dark wash denim that fits well and does not have rips holes. If you wear dark skinny/fitted jeans, and sweater in a color that flatters you, and shoes that aren't sneakers, you will fit right in. Boots would be especially nice given the season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel