U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 03:00 PM

3,204 posts, read 3,198,606 times

Advertisements

Help.

I'm going to Paris for work but will have a little bit of time to myself to enjoy a few things, but not a whole lot. I need to get a short list of things to do/experience so I can feel like I actually accomplished something while I was there.

Here is my availability outside of work, and a few things I was considering:

Wed-After 5 pm (What to do?)
Thurs-After 5 pm (Shop somewhere...any recommendations on a thrift store I can buy a dress or blouse from?)
Fri-After 11 am (Eiffel tower, See the Thinker at Musee Rodin, go to a show at the Crazy Horse)
Sat-All day (Go someplace I can take pictures of and see really cool street art/graffiti. Need 2 other things to do on this day)
Sun-Only the morning (til 11 am) (What to do? Will probably just walk around and have breakfast.)

Of course I plan to eat a bunch...I'm just gonna load up on croissants and crepes but need all the food recommendations I can get)

Gosh, I really need some recommendations here. Someone help me out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2014, 03:48 PM

13,888 posts, read 25,327,549 times
Here's what *I* would do if it was my first time in Paris. Too bad it's December and it will be dark all the time. But Paris is beautiful year round.

Wed after 5- Take the subway to Montmartre, climb up to see Sacre Coeur. Walk around and have dinner at one of the small cafes and see all the artists ending their day. Hang out around the Place du Tertre area.

Thurs after 5- Take the subway to Opera, see the opera house, Place Vendome, and see the pastries at Mitsukoshi. Window shop at Faberge and see all those amazing shops along the Avenue Montaigne. Then take the subway to St. Michel, walk around and choose a place to eat. This is a really cool area with interesting architecture and tons of cool restaurants that are pretty moderately priced.

Fri after 11am- Take a half day tour of the city. You will see a lot in just a few hours. Will probably include the Eiffel Tower. Ask your tour guide about the best weekend markets for thrifting. This changes from time to time and it would be best to get current info. But the weekend markets are wonderful.

Sat all day- Go shopping and see the markets your tour guide recommended. Most start quite early and you may have time to see a museum afterwards. Or one of my favorite activities, just pick a subway stop in an interesting area and get lost.

Sun Morning- Just walk around and eat. Then shop the duty free at the airport.

Have a wonderful trip!

Old 11-11-2014, 07:32 PM

7,682 posts, read 16,103,744 times
If you can find a tour that includes the Eiffel Tower with it, better to do that than stand in line for far too long to buy your tickets. (The online buy ahead tickets made available usually get snapped up within minutes of going on sale, so you're probably out of luck there.)

Pere Lachaise Cemetery? There's a lot more to it than Jim Morrison's grave.

Montmarte hill is cool. Wish we would have spent more time exploring it.

Yes, Les Champs Eylsees is overrun with tourists and chain stores these days, but pop out briefly at one of the metro stops near the Arc de Triumphe, imagine planes flying through the arch or bicyclists riding the traffic circle on the last day of the Tour de France, pause briefly and solemnly at the French tomb of the unknown, and look around, feel, and appreciate the history the street has and how few places can match that.

Old 11-11-2014, 10:15 PM

1,161 posts, read 1,981,903 times
You are not interested in any of the museums? You mentioned Rodin but only the Rodin statue and not the rest of the excellent Rodin museum. I take it art is not your thing. What about Notre Dame or Ste. Chapelle?

I would not waste time buying clothes in Paris. It will be more expensive than in the US and more or less the same.

Food is something to be a little careful about. Paris has wonderful food and scores of excellent restaurants and bistros and pastry shops, but you must know which ones to go to. There's plenty of unremarkable food in Paris as well. One croissant in one shop isn't the equal of a croissant in the shop across the street.

This is my suggested itinerary for someone who is not interested in the museums:

Wed: Walk around the Marais district. A lovely historic neighborhood. Soak up the atmosphere. Have dinner at Cafe Breizh (possibly the best creperie in Paris). Be sure to have alcoholic apple cider with your crepe. It's wonderful.
Thurs: As the other poster suggested, metro to Opera, walk down to Vendome, then to the river. Cross the river to the Fabourg St. Germain area of Paris. Just enjoy the city life and scenery and admire the view of Notre Dame. Find a pastry at Laduree or Pierre Hermes. Or find a good bistro for dinner. Lots of small little restaurants in the area.
Fri:Eiffel tower is fine, be prepared for queues. See Musee Rodin and I also strongly suggest visiting Musee L'Orangie with the famous Monet paintings. Art may not be your thing but it's a small and wonderful museum and one of my favorite museums in Paris. Have a baguette sandwich from a shop for lunch, take it to a nearby park and sit outside and eat. For dinner I suggest La Regalade Saint Honore for excellent French bistro fare (not cheap but not too expensive either). At some point definitely try to see the insides of Notre Dame.
Sat: You have a whole day. Do you want to do a day trip to Versailles? Or to Chartres for the cathedral? Both are doable on the same day and on the same regional commuter train line from Paris. Chartres is spectacular and Versailles is certainly unique.
Sunday: Check out the large food market at Bastille. It's an outdoor market with stalls selling wonderful food. Great atmosphere. Then go to the airport!

Old 11-11-2014, 10:21 PM

1,499 posts, read 1,190,426 times
The best tip I ever received about shopping in Paris - always greet the shop owner when you enter the shop.

Old 11-12-2014, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire in MB View Post
The best tip I ever received about shopping in Paris - always greet the shop owner when you enter the shop.
Thanks!

Old 11-12-2014, 07:26 AM

Wow, thank you for all of the wonderful suggestions so far. So much to see and so little time.

To the poster who inquired about museums; I am interested as long as the wait is not long or the museum is too packed. I did plan to go inside of the Rodin but wasn't sure if I could fit in any other museums with my schedule.

Old 11-12-2014, 07:28 AM

Dumb question-I have to have a ticket to see the Eiffel Tower?

To clarify, I only need to see it from the outside. I have no time to wait for elevator lines.

Old 11-12-2014, 07:43 AM

556 posts, read 761,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
Dumb question-I have to have a ticket to see the Eiffel Tower?

To clarify, I only need to see it from the outside. I have no time to wait for elevator lines.
You need a ticket to ride the elevators and/or climb stairs to the top. You do not need a ticket to see the tower. There are amazing views of the tower from many places in the city. Champ de Mars and Trocadéro Gardens are good for up-close views without the dense crowds at the tower proper.

Old 11-12-2014, 08:37 AM

Another silly question...I'd been dying to see the Titanic Exhibit. I missed it when I lived in Atlanta and also missed it here in Chicago. Would it be worth trying to hop a train to Brussels to see it there? Or bad/silly idea?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel