U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 07:51 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,839,269 times

Advertisements

Door County, Wisconsin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2014, 08:16 PM

2,971 posts, read 2,757,808 times
Earliest I can remember was (as a child) to Cedar Point in Sandusky Ohio and staying at the Hotel Breakers.

Old 11-13-2014, 08:33 PM

6,344 posts, read 3,596,178 times
It must have been the summer before my first year in school that my parents took me to Mille Lacs, MN to stay in a little fishing cabin near the Indian reservation there. I remember that it was cold, overcast and the large lake was turbulent. Don't remember enjoying it very much.

I remember that we bought a postcard to send to my grandmother that had a cartoon of a whale on the front and said, "Having a whale of a time!"

I did get excited about the chokecherry jelly we had for breakfast and to this day I'm always on the lookout for a jar or two.

This was in the days before political correctness and before we went home they took me to an "Indian Trading Post" and bought me a headdress with raccoon tails and real feathers and a little birch bark canoe.

I thought that was the neatest deal. Don't think you could find those sorts of things for sale there anymore unless they were "artisanal" and cost a small fortune.

By the time I started school everybody was playing Davy Crockett with their coonskin caps at recess but I much preferred my headdress.

Old 11-13-2014, 08:51 PM

12,351 posts, read 7,527,852 times
I got my fair share of family vacation trips as a kid, so I'll go with the first one "on my own".

The regulars here know I've worked in transportation and distributiion all my life, and that I'm an incurable railroad buff. So in September of 1974, after a year an a half in my first real job, I made a trip to some of the big main lines and mountain passes of the Intermountin West; my employer at that time, the long-since-bankrupt Jones Motor Company, was obliging enough to provide free transportation (on the side seat of its 18-wheelers) as far as Chicago.

"Names like "Sherman Hill", "Soldier Summit", "Moffat Tunnel" and the "Wasatch" grade have recognition only among a relatively small fraternity, but at the time, it was the fulfillment of some long-standing plans for me.

Old 11-13-2014, 10:14 PM

6,633 posts, read 3,696,925 times
My dad worked for a railroad and got passes to go to Washington DC by train and then up to NYC (from St. Louis). I was about 8 years old...long before Amtrak...and I've been hooked on train travel ever since. Those were the death-spiral years for commercial passenger trains - we took Pennsylvania, Baltimore & Ohio and NY Central back then. Todays Amtrak is a step up in some ways from those old trains.

Old 11-13-2014, 11:58 PM

30,709 posts, read 33,531,833 times
The first trip I remember taking was when I was about 8 and my family took a car trip to Crater Lake Nat'l Park. I only remember bits and pieces but they were vivid and happy memories. I made the same trip with my own kids 30 years later!

Old 11-14-2014, 12:03 AM

25,112 posts, read 24,004,516 times
When I was three years old, my family vacationed at Long Beach Island, New Jersey. While I'm sure I missed a lot, I remember quite a few things. Mom bought a red bathing suit for me--and red was my favorite color. My afternoon nap was taken under an umbrella at the beach. I got to play in sand and at the edge of the surf every day that we were there. Truthfully, I only remember two naps and two water events. Someone gave me a box of Barnum's Animal Crackers which my mother wouldn't have allowed at home.

Old 11-14-2014, 01:30 AM

9,265 posts, read 10,932,494 times
First vacation that I barely remember would have been to Corpus Christi when I was about 4. A couple of years later was Puerto Rico. My father had a business meeting there and brought the family.

Old 11-14-2014, 03:53 AM

128 posts, read 150,247 times
Venice, Italy when I was 4.

Old 11-14-2014, 08:03 AM

13,827 posts, read 18,832,525 times
Backpacking in Paris France at 17 and after that London . Had a great time and have done some traveling since and I love it .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or