U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 08:11 PM

50 posts, read 85,172 times

Advertisements

My GF and I split a hotel/rental car package via Travelocity. Half of my card, half on hers. I have a Visa Card (United Mileage Plus), and it has rental car insurance coverage as a benefit.

Will I be eligible for this insurance if I only paid for half of the car with my card? Or do you have to pay in full with one card to be eligible for the benefit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2014, 08:15 PM

9,130 posts, read 17,156,839 times
Full Car on your Card....

Old 11-15-2014, 08:18 PM

50 posts, read 85,172 times
so.. i guess i'll need to buy the coverage from the rental car company then?

Old 11-16-2014, 08:32 AM

2,069 posts, read 3,505,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesfenimorecooper View Post
so.. i guess i'll need to buy the coverage from the rental car company then?
Check with your regular auto insurance company. Many of them cover rentals too, which makes the rental company's insurance unnecessary.

I never buy the rental insurance. The one time I did get in to an accident while renting my regular insurance (State Farm) took care of me with no hassles.

Edit: if your GF will be driving the rental then she would need to check with her regular auto insurance company too.

Old 11-16-2014, 09:50 AM

7,685 posts, read 16,115,889 times
Though note that coverage through your auto insurance company typically only covers rentals inside the USA.

Old 11-16-2014, 12:45 PM

6,318 posts, read 6,979,763 times
I had no idea you could split on two cards using OTA. That's cool.

Unfortunately from my previous research my credit card's rental car benefit only kicks in when I use the card in full. This could vary on a card-by-card basis so your best bet is to contact each of your credit card's customer service. fyi, not all credit cards offer this benefit, although it is quite standard.

i agree with the auto insurance suggestion too. If you have good insurance they may cover your rental, it all depends.

Old 11-17-2014, 07:55 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,472,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Though note that coverage through your auto insurance company typically only covers rentals inside the USA.
Exactly. For international rentals, you'll need to book the whole car on your card that has the coverage, but then (at least for all the cards I have) it's just the collision damage waiver that is included. If you want to have coverage for the OTHER cars, in the event you have a wreck and it's your fault, you have to purchase that through the car rental company. When in countries driving on the "wrong" side of the road, I definitely add that coverage!

This is the wording from the plan under my Capital One Venture Card....

The Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver Benefit will reimburse the cardholder for
physical damage to, or theft of, a rental car up to the actual cash value of the
vehicle as it was originally manufactured if the following conditions are met:
1. The rental period may not exceed nor intend to exceed fifteen (15) consecutive
days within the cardholder’s domiciled country and thirty-one (31) consecutive
days outside the domiciled country.
2. The Loss/Damage Waiver offered by the rental agency must be declined by
the cardholder in any state or country except where prohibited by law.
3. The entire rental transaction must be secured and charged to the eligible card.
4. Anyone driving other than the person whose name is embossed on the card
must be listed as an authorized driver on the rental contract.
5. The damage or theft must have taken place while the vehicle is under the
cardholder’s care and control.

Old 11-17-2014, 08:40 AM

7,685 posts, read 16,115,889 times
Going forward, Amex has a $25 PER RENTAL (not per day) optional Super CDW that covers about 98% of the countries in the world where you can rent a car (notable exclusion- Ireland) and by all accounts is a great way to handle the CDW question at a reasonable price.

Old 11-17-2014, 01:16 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,631 posts, read 39,998,659 times
Within USA, I call my insurance carrier and add rental car insurance (~$10 / month) (I only have liability on normal policy)

Old 11-18-2014, 06:24 AM

3,161 posts, read 8,099,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Going forward, Amex has a $25 PER RENTAL (not per day) optional Super CDW that covers about 98% of the countries in the world where you can rent a car (notable exclusion- Ireland) and by all accounts is a great way to handle the CDW question at a reasonable price.
THIS.

As noted, as a US resident my own car insurance covers me domestically. When I travel out of country, I always book with my AMEX and pay the small fee that beachmouse described so I am fully insured without paying through the nose to rental car agencies. Ireland is a pain in the rear for rental car and the only country where I have had to purchase insurance from the rental car agency. After seeing what Irish rental cars look like, you understand why full insurance is necessary
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or