U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 11:57 AM

186 posts, read 166,085 times

Advertisements

I allow around 3 hours to go through US Customs before connecting the next flight; but then I have the US passport, which does seem to allow expedited processing--though smiles are hard to come by on the immigration officials' faces.
Some other things to consider are the locations of the arrival airport and time of the year: Once I almost missed a connecting flight from Chicago, Ohare to Vancouver, BC because some ice situation in Chicago--the arrival to Chicago was delayed. So even though it was a domestic route route to Chicago, no change of airline, and, I think, the same terminal, and 55 minutes between the flights, we had to run toward our departure gate while the PA system was announcing our names, asking us to reach the gate. We made it within very few minutes of the departure time. All shaken. Everyone else had already been seated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2014, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Yes, a friend who lives in Atlanta who flies often has mentioned how efficient that airport is, apparently so! You're right about their friendliness. Actually, I had no problems with any airline personnel at anytime on my trip.
Both Atlanta and Charlotte are about 2 hours drive from my location but Atlanta's traffic is horrible. So, despite the best serviced major airport, we try to take a flight out of Charlotte unless the $$ is too much.

Old 11-17-2014, 12:17 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,260,811 times
Honestly, one would be stupid to buy a ticket with 90 minutes in total for a connection, knowing he will have to pass the notoriously long lines of US customs. The fact airlines issue these kinds of tickets doesn't mean it is realistic.

In major transit hubs such as Miami, Los Angeles, SF, Chicago and New York, it would be safe to give to at least 3 hours.

Old 11-17-2014, 12:22 PM

14,253 posts, read 15,332,749 times
I have Global Entry.

Arriving in Phoenix on the direct flight from London it took around 30 mins from leaving the plane, getting through immigration and customs (carry on bags only), getting to the skytrain and getting in my car at the long term parking lot.

Old 11-17-2014, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaggy001 View Post
i have global entry.

Arriving in phoenix on the direct flight from london it took around 30 mins from leaving the plane, getting through immigration and customs (carry on bags only), getting to the skytrain and getting in my car at the long term parking lot.
wow!

Old 11-17-2014, 12:36 PM

9,126 posts, read 17,141,418 times
I would not Book Two "Separate" flights to give yourself "more" time.

Since the flights are not connected, if your inbound flight is late or is canceled or you still take to long in customs etc, your could still miss your outbound flight.

To your Outbound flight you look like a O&D passenger, they will not re-book you on the next available flight for Free. You would be considered a No/Show, or Have to change your ticket (to a walk up fare + Change Fee).

Old 11-17-2014, 12:43 PM

21,177 posts, read 11,780,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Office Politics View Post
Everyone says we should have picked a flight with a longer connection. Yes, this sounds good in theory but the airline only offered two options both with short connections. There were limited flights offered and no longer connections were available. By offering only the short connections the airline told us that they were confident that we would make it through immigration, customs, baggage reclaim and recheck and then the TSA line after all that... on time. They set the flight schedules, not me.
No, that is an assumption you made. Sorry for the inconvenience to you but this is not the airline's fault. If you didn't feel the connection was long enough, it's on you to follow up with the airline for more options, or book with another carrier.

Old 11-17-2014, 01:01 PM

14,253 posts, read 15,332,749 times
For anyone flying to the USA from Europe, be aware that at both Dublin and Shannon (Republic of Ireland) you clear US immigration and customs at those airports so that, when you arrive in the USA, it is as if you are a domestic arrival. Because bags clear US customs in Ireland, they can be checked right through to your final destination if you are connecting.

Old 11-17-2014, 01:24 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,595,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Cowgirl View Post
Foadi's advice is the best. I travel a LOT, that's why my location says "38,000 feet" - I spend a lot of time in airplanes and airports. No, you can't go back and change what happened. So woulda/coulda/shoulda is a useless conversation.

HOWEVER - for you and anyone else traveling these days, always have a Plan B. Always think about the What-ifs. There are just NO guarantees on arrival, departure, customs & immigration, baggage, the kind of day the TSA agent had prior to meeting you, or any other aspect of travel. NONE. And the airlines could care less. They are transporting millions of people a day. You are a seat number. Period.

Book flights separately instead of using connecting flights if you can. It may actually save you money. It doesn't save you time to book a direct with a customs stopover from, say, Germany to Minneapolis if you have to stop in a port of entry anyway for customs. You always have to pick up your baggage before going to customs and then go check it back in again for the rest of the flight. If you book your flights separately, you have more control and you can look at the best options for entry into the US. As someone else noted, Miami is a nightmare. I rarely go through their customs if I can avoid it. LaGuardia is bad, too. Hell, they're all a mess, but there are some websites out there that give you an idea of which are less bad. Flyertalk is one that I know of. The hour or so you spend researching flights will save you huge headaches and time later. BTW - the same goes for cruises. The Customs line coming back in from a Belize cruise at Galveston was unbelievable, and worse, I had gotten food poisoning on my last night on the ship, so standing in line there was real peachy.

Always assume the worst these days. You will have a much better trip that way. It's a royal PITA, but if you choose to travel, assume everything will take longer than you think it will. Then, if you happen to hit TSA at a good time with an agent who hasn't been beat up by other passengers, and the Customs guy thinks you look like his best friend, and the airlines are on time and the bags arrive the way they are supposed to, well then, do a little happy dance and go hang out in the lounge or have an adult beverage while you wait (just don't miss your flight!)
I disagree on booking flights separately. A couple years ago my flight was six hours delayed coming back from ATH causing me to my booked separately connection in PHL (4.5 hour layover.) The only thing that got me taken care of was my Chairman's status. I called from ATH when I realized there was no way I'd make the connection and they rebooked me for first flight the next am and put me up at the Marriott. That wouldn't have happened if I didn't have my status. I would have been on a flight at some point, and would ahve paid for my own hotel room. This was all on the same metal, BTW.

Old 11-17-2014, 01:26 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,595,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
I have Global Entry.

Arriving in Phoenix on the direct flight from London it took around 30 mins from leaving the plane, getting through immigration and customs (carry on bags only), getting to the skytrain and getting in my car at the long term parking lot.
Same here coming in from PPT to LAX a few months back. It took under 30 minutes from when I stepped off the plane until I was walking outside to catch the shuttle--including stopping to pay duty on a necklace I purchased. GE is awesome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or