Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 07:28 AM

131 posts, read 182,610 times

Advertisements

Many of the relatives (huge extended family) who are meeting at our Grandma's house for Thanksgiving are driving a long way to get there. Most are working on Wednesday, the day before Thanksgiving, and will not get on the road until 7 or 8 PM and end up driving 6- hours to my Grandma's house.

First, I don't get it. I hate driving at night out of town on long two lane roads. By 8PM I am tired, the last thing I want to do is drive until 3 AM to get to someone's house when I know that the next day (Thanksgiving is going to be a long stressful day with lots of social expectations.)

Second, Why don't they stay at a motel or hotel. I think it is rude to show up at a relatives house at 2 or 3 AM and expect them to open the door and talk. Then have this happen until all the relatives who are staying there arrive and get settled.

Finally, it would be more logical to leave on Wednesday AM arrive before 8 PM and get a good nights sleep at a motel in advance of the big day.

Can you relate to the drive all night relatives or my approach?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2014, 07:35 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,025,051 times
It's not your house or your drive. MYOB.

Old 11-17-2014, 07:52 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,269,437 times
I prefer to drive late at night when there are fewer cars on the road, ESPECIALLY on a holiday weekend. As long as someone at the house is willing to be up to let them in when they arrive, I don't see a problem.

Old 11-17-2014, 07:58 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,995,583 times
Many Schools have classes on the Wednesday before T'Day so limits When you can leave.

Also alot of people only get two (sometimes less) weeks of vacations, so planning when to use each day becomes a factor.

Hotel vs Staying with "Grandma" Could be a cost issue, May just be the family dynamic / Custom, of every one stays with family. As for 2am arrival, again, it custom, but @ most it should be few minutes of welcome, then off to bed.

Old 11-17-2014, 09:06 AM

43,631 posts, read 44,355,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Many Schools have classes on the Wednesday before T'Day so limits When you can leave.

Also alot of people only get two (sometimes less) weeks of vacations, so planning when to use each day becomes a factor.

Hotel vs Staying with "Grandma" Could be a cost issue, May just be the family dynamic / Custom, of every one stays with family. As for 2am arrival, again, it custom, but @ most it should be few minutes of welcome, then off to bed.
I agree with the above.

Personally I don't like be on the road at night. But I do know someone who prefers driving at night because the traffic is usually less and in general that person is a night owl.

Old 11-17-2014, 02:44 PM

131 posts, read 182,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
I prefer to drive late at night when there are fewer cars on the road, ESPECIALLY on a holiday weekend. As long as someone at the house is willing to be up to let them in when they arrive, I don't see a problem.
The route to Grandmas goes through mountains on two lane roads and the weather is usually rainy and cold. Better for the day time.

Old 11-17-2014, 02:46 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,717,618 times
I hope grandma herself didn't have to stay up and open doors for these visitors at 3am. Just leave a key somewhere and let them to get settle on their own.

Otherwise, it is their choices, tired or not, it is their own problem.

Old 11-17-2014, 03:04 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,269,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Office Politics View Post
The route to Grandmas goes through mountains on two lane roads and the weather is usually rainy and cold. Better for the day time.
Even through mountains on two lane roads, there can still be a lot of traffic during the day of a holiday weekend. I can still see how others would prefer nighttime. Can't predict if it will be rainy, and cold is only a factor if it's rainy and below freezing.

Old 11-17-2014, 03:52 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,025,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Office Politics View Post
I'm guessing it also goes over the river and through the woods, right?

Old 11-18-2014, 07:07 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,577,943 times
We drove from Nashville to Seattle and back for Christmas in Dec. 2010 and again in 2011. We left Nashville on the 19th of Dec. and arrived in Seattle on the 22nd. Left on the 27th and arrived back in Nashville on the 30th. Did the drive two years in a roll and only had one 4 hour delay on I-80 west of Rock Springs, WY. due to snow and road closure. Great trips!!!

It's the journey not the destination that makes the trip worth while...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel