Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2014, 01:46 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,742,148 times

Advertisements

So for background, I typically tip generously commensurate with service. I waited tables to put myself through college and I'm very sympathetic to those who are dependent upon tips.

My BF and I are going to a nice resort that has both a daily resort fee and a daily parking fee. You can self park for $20/day or do valet for $25/day.

As I expect we'll be in-and-out fairly often, what's the current norm for tipping in this situation? I have a feeling that my BF and I may be butting heads over this a bit; he's kind in shock at the idea of a resort fee plus a parking fee, and had never tipped housekeeping until we started dating and he saw me do it. (He's not a cheapskate, it had just never occurred to him).

On a related note, I can remember when hotels used to have verbiage explaining that the daily resort fee was a convenience so you didn't need to carry a bunch of cash with you to tip at the swim up bar, the pool buy who brought you a towel, etc. My parents taught me that when there was a resort fee, it was essentially "tip already included" but you could tip for above-and-beyond service. Looks like most have dropped this verbiage.

Sigh. Guess I need to run by the bank before we leave and get a bunch of $1 and $5 bills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2014, 02:18 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
My nephew works at a major resort in valet and bell services. (He is trained on both, it depends on their needs which one he does) The valet and bell services people do not get a part of the resort fee or valet charge. Use that info as you will.

PS--Valet's usually pool tips, bell services usually do not.

Old 11-18-2014, 01:08 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,489,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
My nephew works at a major resort in valet and bell services. (He is trained on both, it depends on their needs which one he does) The valet and bell services people do not get a part of the resort fee or valet charge. Use that info as you will.

PS--Valet's usually pool tips, bell services usually do not.
One reason I hate resort fees. People don't know what to do. With a valet fee only it makes sense to still tip in the same way you would tip a valet at a restaurant. Resort fees make no sense to me. You have to pay them as part of your room, why not just include it in the rate, instead of an addition (which you pay anyways?). Annoying.

Old 11-18-2014, 01:34 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,988,586 times
Do the "self parking", and don't worry about tipping!!!

Old 11-18-2014, 09:58 PM

7,775 posts, read 10,152,240 times
When I'm in and out often at a hotel I give the valets $2 each time they bring the car to me. Ask the resort what the "resort fee" covers. Although I have a feeling it's more or less a tax and not for tips.

Old 11-18-2014, 11:22 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,489,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
When I'm in and out often at a hotel I give the valets $2 each time they bring the car to me. Ask the resort what the "resort fee" covers. Although I have a feeling it's more or less a tax and not for tips.
It's not for tips. That is why I believe any resort that adds a resort fee should just suck it up and include the charge in the room fee and stop adding it on as if it's just an extra charge that is debatable.

Old 11-19-2014, 10:06 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post
So for background, I typically tip generously commensurate with service. I waited tables to put myself through college and I'm very sympathetic to those who are dependent upon tips.

My BF and I are going to a nice resort that has both a daily resort fee and a daily parking fee. You can self park for $20/day or do valet for $25/day.

As I expect we'll be in-and-out fairly often, what's the current norm for tipping in this situation? I have a feeling that my BF and I may be butting heads over this a bit; he's kind in shock at the idea of a resort fee plus a parking fee, and had never tipped housekeeping until we started dating and he saw me do it. (He's not a cheapskate, it had just never occurred to him).

On a related note, I can remember when hotels used to have verbiage explaining that the daily resort fee was a convenience so you didn't need to carry a bunch of cash with you to tip at the swim up bar, the pool buy who brought you a towel, etc. My parents taught me that when there was a resort fee, it was essentially "tip already included" but you could tip for above-and-beyond service. Looks like most have dropped this verbiage.

Sigh. Guess I need to run by the bank before we leave and get a bunch of $1 and $5 bills.
I know for many, this tipping business is getting to be a game, but we do still tip both the bellmen, if we need help and the valet people. They do depend on tips for a good part of this income. The resort fee isn't really part of the tipping scene, the only time we do not tip is at an All Inclusive, that is different.

Old 11-23-2014, 04:05 AM

822 posts, read 2,201,758 times
I've worked as a valet at both restaurants and the hotels with the resort fees. The standard valet tip is two dollars. Five dollars will usually make you a rock star. You don't have to give them money when you drop the car off, it's mainly when you pick it up b/c most of the time valets work it to where they will drive a car they are parking and then pick one up for the return trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel