U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 10:36 AM

957 posts, read 1,314,613 times

Advertisements

By the way, everyone....
May your holiday be blessed with good company and good memories; hoping you have a safe and joyful Thanksgiving.

Cheers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2014, 03:38 AM

95 posts, read 102,495 times
Do.. check out Lodi Vintners - They're new... but Tyson Rippey is going to make a splash!

Old 11-30-2014, 02:02 PM

13 posts, read 9,967 times
Hi to all my wineaux friends (expensive for wino),

I have a preliminary itinerary for our spring trip to the Napa Valley. This time we will not be staying in Calistoga which has been our headquarters for several years. We will be staying at the Best Western Inn at the Vines in Napa. We don't need a fancy place to stay since mainly all we do is sleep there. Plus, we can spend our savings on wine. Here is the itinerary . . . please make comments, good or bad. All but two will be first time visits for us. I have added some comments in red. Hope it comes out that way.

We are basically Cab drinkers with an occasional Zin thrown in. My wife likes a Chardonnay on occasion.

Day 1 Arrival

Bourassa Vineyards - 190 Camino Oruga, Napa, CA 94558 - 707-254-4922 -www.bourassavineyards.com/ - info@bourassavineyards.com - VIP tasting $35.00

Day 2

Neyers Vineyards - 2153 Sage Canyon Road, St. Helena, CA 94574 - 707-963-8840 - info@neyersvineyards.com - Neyers Vineyards Home - Tasting fee $35.00

Lunch

Hestan Vineyards - 6548 Washington St, Yountville, CA 94599 - 707-945-1002 -http://www.hestan.com/ - emily@hestan.com

Laird Family Estate - 5055 Solano Avenue, Napa CA 94558 - 707-257-0360 ext 26 - Terra@lairdfamilyestate.com - Tasting fee $20.00/$30.00 (reds)

Dinner

Day 3

Morning Free - Downtown St. Helena - Shopping - Several Lunch possibilities

Bravante Winery- 300 Stone Ridge Road, Angwin, CA 94508 - 707-965-2552 - Bravante Vineyards - Home - dave@bravantewine.com - Tasting fee $25.00/$50.00

Haber Family Vineyards - 345 Pine Breeze Drive, Angwin, CA 94508 - 707-965-9177 - ronh@haberfamilyvineyards.com - www.habervineyards.com
We are wine club members here. The tasting is in their home overlooking the vineyards. Ron and
Sue-Marie are great hosts. The wine is excellent. They produce small lots of Diamond and Howell
Mountain Cab.

Dinner

Day 4

Seavey Vineyard - 1310 Conn Valley Rd, St Helena, CA 94574 - 707-963-8339 - wine@seaveyvineyard.com - Seavey Vineyard Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon - Tasting fee $35.00

Lunch

Crocker & Starr - 700 Dowdell Ln, St Helena, CA 94574 - 707-967-9111 - Crocker & Starr - Farmhouse Porch Experience

Paradigm Winery - 1277 Dwyer Rd, Oakville, CA 94562 - 707-944-1683 - Maryann@paradigmwinery.com - Tasting $25.00 refundable with purchase
We have had their wine in a restaurant and thought it very good.

Dinner

Day 5

Calistoga Cellars - Lauer Cabernet - 1007 Washington Ave, Calistoga, CA 94515 - does tasting in his home and Roberts & Rogers Cabernet - Steve Sichel - 707-965-9636[IMG]resource://skype_ff_extension-at-jetpack/skype_ff_extension/data/call_skype_logo.png[/IMG]707-965-9636
A friend emailed me the Wine Spectator top 100 wines in February 2014. I saw this wine listed and it
was rated a 93 or 94 AND IT WAS ONLY $35.00/bottle. I couldn't resist. We took a bottle to dinner a
couple weeks ago and it just about blew us away. I have since ordered a case and have the bottles
in my cooler. The owner is a graduate of Iowa State University as am I.

Lunch

Venge Vineyards - 4708 Silverado Trail N, Calistoga, CA 94515 - 707-942-9100 - Venge Vineyards
This is the second winery on our itinerary that we have visited previously. They have some very
excellent reds and my wife is a fan of their Chardonnay. The tasting room sits high on a hill
overlooking the vineyards just off the Silverado Trail. For you doggie people, they have a black Lab
that loves to chase a ball.

Hunnicutt Winery - 3524 Silverado Trail North, Saint Helena, CA 94574 - 707-330-5445 - Justin Hunnicutt Stephens - justin@hunnicuttwines.com - www.hunnicuttwines.com
This will be a new visit for us. However, we met Justin at a wine tasting in Chattanooga. He invited
us to be his special guests and promised to share some of his wines that are not generally available
to the general public. How could we refuse?

Dinner

Day 6 and out

Sodaro Estate Winery - 24 Blue Oak Ln, Napa, CA 94558 - 707-251-8216 - Sodaro Estate Winery - Sodaro Estate Winery Home - Contact@SodaroWines.com
We have tasted their wines but have never visited.

We used to visit 4 and 5 wineries in a day but discovered about mid afternoon that our palates were shot.Call
Send SMS
Add to Skype
You'll need Skype CreditFree via Skype

Last edited by Hawkeye1736; 11-30-2014 at 02:22 PM..

Old 11-30-2014, 07:20 PM

sounds like a great trip, hawkeye. I don't know any of these wineries, but have enjoyed Inn at the Vines many years ago.

Old 12-01-2014, 11:23 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,620,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSE View Post
Don't forget Neal Family, Robert Craig, Dunn and Robert Foley. I don't think that Dunn or Foley does visits, but they have incredible Napa Cabs. Of the ones listed so far, I've visited and enjoyed cabs from Neal Family, Robert Craig, O'Shaughnessy, Outpost, Black Sears and Ladera. There is also an annual event of food and wine during the summer called Taste of Howell Mountain. I haven't gone, but it's on my list of things to do.
Dunn does visits IF you know Randy and Lori and are active on their list. But to the general public? Not going to happen.

Also on Howell Mountain is Lail. It is not impossible to get a visit with Robin, again IF you are active on her list.

Old 12-01-2014, 01:02 PM

13 posts, read 9,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Dunn does visits IF you know Randy and Lori and are active on their list. But to the general public? Not going to happen.

Also on Howell Mountain is Lail. It is not impossible to get a visit with Robin, again IF you are active on her list.
Hi annerk,

I have just emailed Dunn to see if I can arrange a visit. I told them we are members of the O'Saughnessuy and Haber wine clubs, both on Howell Mountain. Howell Mountain has some exquisite Cabs. Will let you know if I hear anything.

Lail can be tasted at Ma(i)sonry tasting room in Yountville. Have thought about going there but have yet to make it.

Old 12-01-2014, 02:29 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,620,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye1736 View Post
Hi annerk,

I have just emailed Dunn to see if I can arrange a visit. I told them we are members of the O'Saughnessuy and Haber wine clubs, both on Howell Mountain. Howell Mountain has some exquisite Cabs. Will let you know if I hear anything.

Lail can be tasted at Ma(i)sonry tasting room in Yountville. Have thought about going there but have yet to make it.
I really enjoy tasting at Ma(i)sonry, some do not. In addition to Lail they also pour Blackbird, which is fantastic juice. Just be prepared for an onslaught of marketing materials in your mail box (both USPS and email) forever after visiting. Keep in mind that tasting at Ma(i)sonry and tasting with Robin in her dining room are night and day experiences.

I actually prefer Vintners Collective as a quirky multi-vintner tasting room. They pour Parallel, Melka, Buoncristiani, Mi Sueno, DCubed, Azur, and Roy among others.

Some other smaller wineries many haven't heard of which are worth mentioning are Playwright, Delectus, Merus, Matthiasson, McKenzie-Mueller, Kobalt, and Winter. Several of those as well as the wines offered at Vintners Collective are all located within walking distance of each other on the south side of Napa.

Old 12-01-2014, 06:20 PM

We have actually had Azur; they poured at the Northwest Food and Wind Festival in Portland several years ago. that is good wine. Hawkeye, I bet you would like them.

Old 12-02-2014, 04:26 PM

1 posts, read 801 times
Howdy y'all! Isn't this going to be nice? And yes, I mean busydesk, thanks for the invite

Hawkeye, the trip looks terrific. Too bad you don't have time on the Seavey day to wander on up the mountain to Buehler and Amizetta. Another time perhaps. And you should definitely make time for Ma(i)sonry one of these days - it's an interesting place and a great chance to taste some wonderful wines. Really enjoyed the Lail and Blackbird wines we tried, and we do still get plenty of mail from them, as annerk mentioned.

In fact, it seems that ANY and ALL of the places we've visited in the last 10 years still have my phone number and email address. I do love that they want to talk to me, but I'm so glad that the phone number comes up - anytime I see area code 707, it's straight to voice mail

I'm excited to see so many new-to-me places being mentioned - gonna have to take some notes for the next trip!

Old 12-02-2014, 11:04 PM

Hi D'!!!
Glad you found us. I think we are all going to get some new ideas here...new friends and they actually contribute to the conversation! Wahoo.
I hope more of the old gang will find us and jump in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel