Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2008, 07:43 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,253,371 times

Advertisements

I'd like to plan a trip with my Mom to Canada at the beginning of August to Canada, preferably a guided train tour. Can anybody make recommendations? The coast to coast one was a bit expensive so I'm probably going to do a west Canada vacation that starts/ends in Vancouver. I've looked around online but I don't really know what places in Canada I have to visit. If anybody can recommend anything, I'd really appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2008, 10:11 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,247,610 times
Last summer, I went to Whidbey Island (not in Canada, off of Seattle), went over to Port Angeles where you have national forests, and then took a ferry over to Victoria Island, BC. It was a gorgeous trip!

Old 01-02-2008, 11:17 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,748,958 times
If west coast train travel out of Vancouver is what floats your canoe, then check out the Rocky Mountaineer. Rocky Mountaineer Official Site – Canadian Train Travel, Rail Tours

This company offers three different scenic routes through the Rockies from Vancouver. Each trip is all-daylight and is 2 days in length.

Old 01-02-2008, 11:19 PM

Yup, I've checked that site already and it by far has the most impressive tours! I guess I am just having trouble deciding which is the best since the only part of Canada I have visited is Vancouver and Montreal!

Old 01-02-2008, 11:59 PM

44,628 posts, read 61,620,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerguy1 View Post
If west coast train travel out of Vancouver is what floats your canoe, then check out the Rocky Mountaineer. Rocky Mountaineer Official Site – Canadian Train Travel, Rail Tours

This company offers three different scenic routes through the Rockies from Vancouver. Each trip is all-daylight and is 2 days in length.
Thankyou for posting this information. We were just discussing yesterday about a rail trip in Canada this year. You saved us a lot of time and trouble.

Old 01-03-2008, 05:21 AM

17 posts, read 68,803 times
I just did a trip to Whistler & Vancouver this past June and would highly recommend it!!

Definitely try to get to Whistler...I took a train from there to Vancouver....it was beautiful!!

Old 01-03-2008, 08:21 AM

nice, thanks!

Old 01-04-2008, 06:06 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,628,555 times
The Gulf Islands, Vancouver Island ( Victoria is beautiful) and then drive up to Tofino for the gorgeous Pacific beaches.

Vancouver ( which is not on Vancouver Island as a lot of people think) is a lovely city, it has a nice laid-back air about it and there are some wonderful museums such as the Emily Carr museum and the UBC Museum of Anthropology , one of the best museums I have ever been to for First Nations artefacts.

I would also recommend Bowen Island, a tiny Island off Vancouver, delightful and very slow pace. A true little gem. Take some whale watch trips they are really worth it. We saw lots of orcas, humpbacks and bears too.

The Pacific NorthWest Native Canadians have some of the most beautiful art imaginable and I would recommend you see as many good galleries as you can , it is truly beautiful.

The Rockies are sublime too, Alberta is beautiful. I would personally ignore the plains area as I thought it was really boring but you must if you can visit Quebec, Montreal and the St Lawrence area too.

The Maritime Provinces are truly beautiful with stunning scenery and pretty little fishing villages, very quaint. Prince Edward Island is a lovely place not to be missed too.

So pretty much both coasts and the Rockies.

Enjoy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel