U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-28-2014, 08:14 AM
 
131 posts, read 150,279 times
Reputation: 147

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Yes, but as several people have already noted, it's a rather unlikely story to begin with.
I am sad that my fellow City-Data posters spent so much time and effort trying to poke holes in my sad BUT TRUE story and spent so little effort trying to come up with a solution to my situation.

Even though you claim that something like this will never happen to you, it WILL HAPPEN to others because people do lose their wallets and all their money and credit cards all the time. Yes, it is easier to handle if you are in a larger City where everyone speaks your language and you have access to a phone, a hotel, and authorities that will work with you.

But in my case, I had no access to anyone who spoke my language, a telephone, a bank or hotel. My wife and I were all alone 50 miles away from our hotel in Cusco Peru without anyhing except the clothes on our back in an Indian Village we went to my local bus on a day trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-28-2014, 10:43 AM
 
3,509 posts, read 5,175,395 times
Reputation: 6535
Quote:
Originally Posted by Office Politics View Post
I am sad that my fellow City-Data posters spent so much time and effort trying to poke holes in my sad BUT TRUE story and spent so little effort trying to come up with a solution to my situation.

Even though you claim that something like this will never happen to you, it WILL HAPPEN to others because people do lose their wallets and all their money and credit cards all the time. Yes, it is easier to handle if you are in a larger City where everyone speaks your language and you have access to a phone, a hotel, and authorities that will work with you.

But in my case, I had no access to anyone who spoke my language, a telephone, a bank or hotel. My wife and I were all alone 50 miles away from our hotel in Cusco Peru without anyhing except the clothes on our back in an Indian Village we went to my local bus on a day trip.
Given your situation, I think what you ended up doing was pretty much your only option. Depending on the local culture, trading your American jeans (or some other piece of apparel) for a local's pants might also have worked. Or you could have attempted to hitch a ride back to the city. As I said before, a simple dictionary would have made a huge difference in helping you explain your dilemma and getting the assistance you needed. At the very least, honing up your miming skills might serve you well, lacking a dictionary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2014, 01:30 PM
MJ7
 
6,221 posts, read 8,641,790 times
Reputation: 6514
I would go to the nearest police station and call from their phones back home most likely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2014, 03:37 PM
 
131 posts, read 150,279 times
Reputation: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
I would go to the nearest police station and call from their phones back home most likely.
Calling anyone would not help me because there was no Bank, Western Union or similar place in that Village to have money transfered to.

Hicking a ride would not work either because the cars were going to/from a number of other similar villages that were the same. (No hotel, bank, or Western Union office)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2014, 04:17 PM
 
Location: Orlando
1,987 posts, read 2,636,397 times
Reputation: 7548
Quote:
Originally Posted by Office Politics View Post
Calling anyone would not help me because there was no Bank, Western Union or similar place in that Village to have money transfered to.

Hicking a ride would not work either because the cars were going to/from a number of other similar villages that were the same. (No hotel, bank, or Western Union office)
If no one spoke English, and you spoke no Spanish, how do you know these things?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2014, 04:17 PM
 
3,509 posts, read 5,175,395 times
Reputation: 6535
Quote:
Originally Posted by Office Politics View Post
Calling anyone would not help me because there was no Bank, Western Union or similar place in that Village to have money transfered to.

Hicking a ride would not work either because the cars were going to/from a number of other similar villages that were the same. (No hotel, bank, or Western Union office)
How could you know where they were going? You stick out your thumb and when someone stops, you say the name of the city you want to go to. Those who aren't' going there or near there will shake their head no and drive off. Sooner or later someone will be headed there and would take you all they way.

Also, you could call your hotel in the big city, where presumably someone speaks English, and they could assist you in getting back. They might even send someone to get you, knowing that you were a paying customer and could reimburse them. Always keep a card with your hotel info on it, but don't put it in your wallet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2014, 04:20 AM
 
131 posts, read 150,279 times
Reputation: 147
This was a village. No taxis or pay telephones. Roads went to many different villages so just getting a ride somewhere with someone who does not speak my language is worthless. I would likely have ended up in a even smaller town. The only option was to somehow get $10 to buy a new bus ticket back to the town my hotel is in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
How could you know where they were going? You stick out your thumb and when someone stops, you say the name of the city you want to go to. Those who aren't' going there or near there will shake their head no and drive off. Sooner or later someone will be headed there and would take you all they way.

Also, you could call your hotel in the big city, where presumably someone speaks English, and they could assist you in getting back. They might even send someone to get you, knowing that you were a paying customer and could reimburse them. Always keep a card with your hotel info on it, but don't put it in your wallet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2014, 06:13 AM
 
3,509 posts, read 5,175,395 times
Reputation: 6535
Quote:
Originally Posted by Office Politics View Post
This was a village. No taxis or pay telephones. Roads went to many different villages so just getting a ride somewhere with someone who does not speak my language is worthless. I would likely have ended up in a even smaller town. The only option was to somehow get $10 to buy a new bus ticket back to the town my hotel is in.
Now you're just making excuses. If it was that small of a village, there couldn't have been that many roads going every which way. And since you came on a bus, there must have been other buses on the road with the name of their destination on the front. At least that way you'd know which way to head. Hitchhiking is an international thing. All you need to know is which direction your destination is in and the name of the city. No other language skill is needed.

And it would be very simple to point to someone's phone, say the name of your hotel and the city and make a dialing motion. Sooner or later, someone would have understood and helped you out.

You came on here asking what we would do and now you are shooting down any suggestions different from what you actually did.

Frankly, I think you should just stay home and read some guides and travel books before you ever venture off again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2014, 06:59 AM
 
3,764 posts, read 3,503,255 times
Reputation: 8938
Quote:
Originally Posted by Office Politics View Post
I am sad that my fellow City-Data posters spent so much time and effort trying to poke holes in my sad BUT TRUE story and spent so little effort trying to come up with a solution to my situation..
Well, for one thing clearly you found your way out of this mess, so it's all purely hypothetical anyway. For another, this is the internet and people will say whatever they feel like, so deal with it.

Lastly, your story sounds suspicious. if you want people to take you seriously, you need to fill in some of the plot holes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2014, 09:46 AM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ > Raleigh, NC
15,070 posts, read 19,013,423 times
Reputation: 24177
If I were to believe your story (which I don't), I would have to also believe that the Peruvian Indians in that small village were dumber than you because they didn't understand basic words and sign language.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top