U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 04:34 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,337,898 times

Advertisements

I used to live in wichita Kansas. I couldn't wait to get out of that city. I getaway every chance I get. Every winter, I would go to so cal, houston or Tampa area. Now I live in houston. Been here 14 years. Still fun to me, always something to do.

As others have said, houston is not a tourist city. It's big and fun but only if you know where to go and how to get around. The weather, love it. i was in shorts and t shirts this last week. even took out my convertible for a drive. You can do a houston San Antonio Austin trip. Do all three in one week. Galveston is less than an hour from houston...

For winter vacation, I would definitely avoid NE. I've done that before. It's miserable and expensive.

I d recommend Tampa st Pete for winter vacation. Last Christmas, I flew into wichita, picked up my parents and drove to Orlando. Also visited Tampa. I think the drive was about 20 hours, not sure. I am familiar with Orlando and Tampa. So no time was wasted getting around. That helps save time and money on gas.

But if I had a choice between NYC or houston this winter. I d do houston. Screw that ugly snow up north.

Ask this same question in spring or fall. I d be all over NYC.

Hope, I was able to help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2014, 07:36 AM

29,546 posts, read 16,502,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris V View Post
As others have said, houston is not a tourist city. It's big and fun but only if you know where to go and how to get around. The weather, love it. i was in shorts and t shirts this last week. even took out my convertible for a drive. You can do a houston San Antonio Austin trip. Do all three in one week. Galveston is less than an hour from houston...
I think a lot of people who put down Houston have never been there. There are tons of tourist things to do in Houston, and maybe a wider variety than NYC depending on what you are interested in. Here are examples;

Great golf courses
Space center
Huge shopping venues
Very wide variety of restaurants along with very upscale options
Professional sports teams
A large number of museums (20 in one area alone including children's, space, etc)
A large number of parks
A zoo
Horse racing
Six Flags
Historic battlegrounds
Live music
Water parks
etc.

Many of these you would not find in NYC, so it all depends on what you are looking for.

Old 12-10-2014, 08:41 AM

1,624 posts, read 4,337,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
For me, this would be a no brainer. NY and DC are uninhabitable in the winter (I hate cold weather) and then you have the much longer drive. Also, staying in NY is VERY VERY expensive at Christmas time and might be totally booked up by now. Yes, the ocean will be too cold to swim for most people but go there anyway. Stop by the Space Center on the way to Galveston.

Go to NY or DC in the Spring or Fall.
I forgot. Christmas is high season time for tourists in NYC. It is a tradition for people in the Northeast to go to NYC to do holiday shopping, go see the Nutcracker, see the windows at Macy's on 34th street and meet Santa, go to Rockerfeller Center to see the big Christmas tree and go ice skating if you can stand the long wait in line, see the Rockette's holiday show or a Broadway musical. Tons of foreign tourists come too if the Euro or UK pound has a good exchange rate to the dollar.

It is super crowded, everything is expensive, but every place is all decked out for the holidays and you get a lot of cool pictures. It is very festive.

DC is different. It is a total slow time. There are no tourists and many DC area residents actually return home to where they grew up to visit their family. The museums will be decorated, but it isn't over the top like NYC. Also, in DC, they don't have the flagship type, mega-sized stores or department stores like they do in NYC. Most of the shopping in the area are based on malls in the suburbs. There isn't a lot of retail in the city. The nice thing about it, it is super cheap and not crowded. So it is a relaxed environment vs. NYC's bustle. In the spring, DC is a mad house with tour and school groups overrunning the city.

Old 12-10-2014, 09:29 AM

72,044 posts, read 83,705,236 times
Roadking is right, a lot of people do not realize what all there is to do in Houston and the surrounding area or maybe spend part of the trip in Houston and hen venture over o San ANtonio or up to the DFW area. Of course there isn't as much to see and do as in the DC/NYC area which is probably the most historical tourest area in the country. The weather in Houston will be or should be great and there won't be crowds. I think either would make for a great family holiday.

Old 12-10-2014, 02:12 PM

2,483 posts, read 3,540,573 times
DC is one of the best tourist destinations in the US and Houston is medicare at best... your choice. As for the weather... bring hats & jackets.

If you really want weather, there are plenty of nice spots outside of the major cities.

Quote:
Great golf courses
Space center
Huge shopping venues
A large number of museums (20 in one area alone including children's, space, etc)
A large number of parks
A zoo
Horse racing
Six Flags
Historic battlegrounds
Live music
Water parks
etc.
Other than the space center, isn't that describing virtually ALL major US cities? If those are the things you're going for, I can suggest at least a dozen other cities ahead of Houstin in just about every category.

Old 12-13-2014, 11:58 AM

2,853 posts, read 1,818,414 times
Quote:
I think a lot of people who put down Houston have never been there. There are tons of tourist things to do in Houston, and maybe a wider variety than NYC depending on what you are interested in. Here are examples;

Great golf courses
Space center
Huge shopping venues
A large number of parks
A zoo
Horse racing
Six Flags
Historic battlegrounds
Live music
Water parks
etc.

Many of these you would not find in NYC, so it all depends on what you are looking for.
Just to play devil's advocate, there are a lot of parks in D.C., Rock Creek being one of the largest and of course the National Mall. And about an hour west of here is Shenandoah National Park. Of course in NYC, you've got Central Park which you can spend a day in and not see it all. Historic battlegrounds? Again, a bunch around here from different wars. Zoo? Smithsonian National Zoo. And as far as live music, D.C. and NYC are some of the best in the county. Just go to Pollstar.com and compare Houston vs. NYC or D.C. Not even close.

Old 12-15-2014, 09:47 AM

3,625 posts, read 1,564,546 times
Go to DC. I was there during X-Mas and it was fun. The museums were open the day before and after and it wasn't crowded. NYC is fun anytime of the year. I live in Houston, usually people fly out of Houston for vacations.

But if you want to drive around, eat variety of international food and enjoy museums and shows, you can come to Houston

Its around 20 degrees in Houston now and good enough to roam around. .and that's the forecast till the end of the year. So I assume even Galveston beach should be good and warm enough..

Old 12-15-2014, 10:41 PM

412 posts, read 404,802 times
Neither from the choices in your title, but I'd go with DC since you said you'd be going to NYC as well in your post.

Old 12-22-2014, 11:36 AM

1,204 posts, read 332,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
Ok, so our family is going on a vacation in a couple weeks and we have decided on DC/New York vs Houston. As far as activities/sights go NYC/DC blow Houston out of the water, but considering the weather do you think it's a good idea to visit DC/New York during December, a couple weeks before Christmas? Either way we are driving, Houston is 13 hours vs 18 to DC, and another few to NYC. These destinations are the only options, the reason being is a little complicated, but it has to have a direct flight to Montreal, we aren't interested in any other city that has direct flights. Houston gets the advantage of weather, and despite not having as many sights, I don't for see us getting bored. Question though, I assume the ocean will be too cold to swim, but I honestly don't know? Do you think the cold weather in DC/NYC would make the trip too miserable, also we couldn't deal with getting stuck in a snow storm, we have to be back by a certain date. What would you guys do, is Houston a good city to visit, we will also be driving through Dallas and will probably spend a day there since I have some friends who live there. I'm definitely on the fence about which to visit, I'd really enjoy some warmer weather for a week, but I'd love to visit the capitol and NYC. I've never been to either city.
I can tell you, DC is 36 degrees right now. Although a warm up is coming. 60 on Wed/rain. 50's...so far, a good winter

Old 12-22-2014, 02:28 PM

13,891 posts, read 25,343,932 times
I lived in Houston for years and there isn't much to see and do there. Plus it will be too cold to enjoy the beach. DC will be more interesting but much more expensive too. And colder!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or