U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 07:09 AM

744 posts, read 609,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
My point was I don't consider anywhere in Central or South America "overseas".
Not overseas? It certainly feels like you are overseas the moment you get in line to enter with the Policia Federal. Brazil is a different culture than the U.S. and so is Uruguay and Argentina (more Euro-centric). Their customs and traditions vary greatly than the U.S., UK or Australia (further overseas).
I agree with you about Central America since Americans are retiring in a few of those countries but not so much So. America.

Last edited by frankrj; 12-02-2014 at 07:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2014, 07:17 AM

131 posts, read 150,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankrj View Post
My sister moved there and hasn't looked back. After doing some research of my own, I agree with you. It is an attractive place to go and live.
After visiting Australia I was happy to go back to America where it was not so expensive!

Old 12-02-2014, 07:36 AM

605 posts, read 468,159 times
When I was in Istanbul, Turkey last week I ran into a very intelligent Syrian refugee in front of the Blue Mosque, who was once an engineering student but fled to Turkey when their civil war broke out and is now currently in Istanbul selling boat tours to tourists and his entire family practically lost everything and had to start over from scratch. So even though I am not a fan of the US government, I will always be grateful to live in a politically stable country. At the same time he mentioned that what's more important is that he and his family are alive and to place less emphasis on material goods, since you can easily lose those items due to some unforeseen event.

Old 12-02-2014, 07:44 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,798,692 times
I love Jamaica. But the availability of first class emergency medical care just does not come near what we have here in the U.S. Do not expect an ambulance and paramedics if you are hurt.

Old 12-02-2014, 11:28 AM

336 posts, read 418,737 times
The personal bubble people give each other in public space. In Europe and Asia, the concept does not really exist and often people stood too close to me while standing in line.

Old 12-02-2014, 12:51 PM

2,088 posts, read 2,114,553 times
After living for three years in Germany I came home and realized how much I missed Country Music on the radio. Of course, this was before the Internet and Pandora.

Old 12-02-2014, 02:05 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,278,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post

In USA, we have reduced working hours (as compared to Asia).

In Asia you appreciate Saturday, since you only have to work 1/2 day (12 hrs), not a full day (24hrs).

After returning from living in Europe I ran to Burger King to get a $.99 Whopper and to Wendy's for a $0.99 Frostie.

I miss Thailand and Singapore food ~ $3/ day and excellent. I eat much more healthy in USA for less than $3/day, but not as tasty / ez as Asia)

But... Asia did not have Hot Beef Sandwiches and Chicken Fried Steak!
you talk as if Asia is one homogenous country when you should be more specific about which country you were referring to.

In which countries you have to work 1/2 day? I know in China, Korea, Japan etc one doesn't work on Saturdays.

Asia not having beef sandwiches? you mean the entire Asia?

Old 12-02-2014, 02:08 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,278,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
Driving on the CORRECT side of the road after Australia and UK.
how do you feel about going back and using the WRONG metric system?

Old 12-02-2014, 03:11 PM

148 posts, read 150,862 times
Originally Posted by Mandalorian
Driving on the CORRECT side of the road after Australia and UK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
how do you feel about going back and using the WRONG metric system?
Or just being plain wrong in the first place!!

Old 12-02-2014, 04:07 PM

3,044 posts, read 4,020,756 times
Getting a straight answer out of just about everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or