Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 08:47 PM

1,161 posts, read 2,446,529 times

Advertisements

Tattoos originated in the South Pacific, I believe, and was taught to sailors from Europe. Tattoos are still prevalent among men in the Philippines and the South Pacific and New Zealand, but rare in other parts of Asia.

I'm not sure why or how tattoos suddenly became extremely popular, particularly in America. For a long time it was a fringe action, found among sailors, soldiers, bikers, and from there slipped into parts of the working classes, both in the UK and the US. It may surprise a number of younger people today but when I was growing up people were heavily contemptuous of tattoos. It wasn't until the mid 1990s that tattoos started becoming "popular."

The growth of tattoos' popularity neatly followed the growth pattern of any fads. They are no different. I think we have already plateaued but it will probably be another ten or so years before we start seeing any decline in public visibility as we have to wait for the next generation to grow older, and the next generation will reject tattoos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azurabug View Post
It's entirely a cultural thing. I'm not sure where it's more prevalent but I'd probably agree with the person who said the Anglo-Saxon type cultures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2014, 06:47 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,267,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpl1228 View Post
Then you, by all means, should have it. There's a personal connection to it.
My point is, that by looking at me you wouldn't know that I have a connection. So don't be so quick to pass judgement on other people's tattoos. The pasty white guy from Wisconsin may have some Maori connection that you don't know about.

Old 12-04-2014, 07:20 AM

2,794 posts, read 2,931,403 times
Hm... let's just say you've been alive for 20,000 days in your life... and of those days you've travelled oversees a total of 100 days. I think the odds are you're going to be exposed to a lot less people from other countries and witnessing their tattoos compared to the US.

So... with that logic... then yes, you're correct!

Old 12-04-2014, 07:43 AM

2,483 posts, read 4,370,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
it amuses me that people think tattoos are just a "fad" when tattoos have been around for how long?
Here is the Webster's online dictionary definition of fad:
a practice or interest followed for a time with exaggerated zeal
You can find an alternate definition if you like, but none of them require that the particular craze be the result of some new invention. The same can be said about fads in clothing, music or dance, since none of those things are new.

Incidentally, a scripture at Leviticus 19:28 contains a command for the people of Israel to not cover their bodies with tattoo markings. Scholars generally agree that that particular book was completed over 3500 years ago. So we know they've been around for at least that long, and were probably not anything new then either.

Old 12-04-2014, 01:33 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,663,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Office Politics View Post
One of the things I like to do when I travel is people watch. In America it seems like half the people 18-35 have visible tattoos. But as I traveled in South America and in Europe this year, I saw some visible tattoos but not many at all. Is it because they can't afford them or are they smarter overseas?

What countries other than America do the majority of young people have tattoos?
We noticed the same thing when we visited Canada a year or so ago. We rode the subway a lot in Toronto and we all know how liberal Toronto is and yet, we remarked about this, especially girls. It was refreshing to see so many without their arms, legs, necks or whatever filled with what they think is art work. Sorry if I am coming down hard on those with them, it is just one of my biggest pet peeves.

Old 12-04-2014, 01:48 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,550,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
We noticed the same thing when we visited Canada a year or so ago. We rode the subway a lot in Toronto and we all know how liberal Toronto is and yet, we remarked about this, especially girls. It was refreshing to see so many without their arms, legs, necks or whatever filled with what they think is art work. Sorry if I am coming down hard on those with them, it is just one of my biggest pet peeves.
Tattoos in general or people who have full sleeves? Because I don't see a lot of people w/full sleeves. A few tattoos? All the time. Not sure why it angers people so much, it's not like those tattoos have any sort of affect on them.

Old 12-04-2014, 03:00 PM

6,908 posts, read 7,663,357 times
Tattoos are disgusting. They are mostly found on high school dropouts who are dumber than a door knob.

Nobody I know has them, or at least not in visible regions (arms, legs).

If you take public transit in a rougher area of this city you will see the white trash people covered in them.

Old 12-04-2014, 03:20 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,034,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsNHL View Post
Tattoos are disgusting. They are mostly found on high school dropouts who are dumber than a door knob.

If you take public transit in a rougher area of this city you will see the white trash people covered in them.

Do you issue an IQ test to people you see who have tattoos? Demand to see a high school diploma? You must clutch your pearls quite a bit if you have to deal with the aesthetic choices of other people when taking the subway.

Old 12-04-2014, 03:32 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,550,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsNHL View Post

Hahaha! Your assessment is so wrong I can do nothing but laugh.

Old 12-04-2014, 08:43 PM

1,161 posts, read 2,446,529 times
People with tattoos will of course disagree. No one wants to be called stupid and uneducated and trashy.

People of all income levels and education levels have tattoos. But, and this is an important but, there does seem to be a visible connection between the amount of tattoos and socio-economic factors. The higher up the education/income scales, the less likely you are to have tattoos. And not just that, but the type of tattoos you are likely to have and how you display that tattoo to the public does also seem to be affected by where you are placed on the socio-economic scales.

In a way, the type of tattoo you have and how it's displayed is probably a much stronger indicator of how you are socially classified than whether you have a tattoo or not. I'm sure this is an uncomfortable notion that Americans would prefer to dance around and ignore, but it's real.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Hahaha! Your assessment is so wrong I can do nothing but laugh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel