U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 04:56 AM

15,092 posts, read 19,047,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equal-Opp. View Post
This is her first time flying.
Even easier, then. She has nothing to compare it to so she won't be disappointed.

You should tell her in advance that NO airline seat in coach is comfortable. At best you get tolerable seating. And no airline serves great food in coach. At best, you get eatable.

Reasonable expectations = Reasonable results.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2014, 07:22 AM

14,253 posts, read 15,345,435 times
Quote:
This is her first time flying.
The flight itself will be fine. If she is flying American she will be going in to Terminal 3 at Heathrow. That is where a lot of the non-British Airways long-haul flights (and a few BA ones) arrive and leave from. Immigration might be slow depending on which flights come in at around the same time. With luck she will not be behind the flight from Lagos, Shanghai or Bombay

If she is being met at the airport no problem. If not, and she is going into London, best choice of transportation will depend on where in London she is going. There are essentially three options; taxi (very expensive), train (Heathrow Express) which is quick and less expensive, or the subway (cheap but slow depending on where you are going).

She will also need UK currency. You can get this before she leaves or she can use an ATM or Bureau de Change at the airport.

Last edited by Jaggy001; 12-02-2014 at 07:49 AM..

Old 12-02-2014, 11:43 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,632,643 times
Quote:
Daughter heard the food was bad and seats are uncomfortable.
No better or worse than economy on any other carrier. If she's flying first, BA would be the best choice, if for no other reason, Concorde Room Access.

Old 12-02-2014, 12:52 PM

1,601 posts, read 2,472,802 times
If she's never flown before, the whole experience will be nothing but exciting for her, regardless of which airline she's on. I, personally, try to only fly non-US carriers on overseas flights (Emirates and British Airways are my favorite so far) but if I had nothing to compare it to, any of them would be okay....free food, free snacks, free drinks, maps to track your progress, just the thought of an airplane flying through the sky?!? Tell her to take books/magazines/games/music to kill the time in case the plane she's on doesn't have a good entertainment system, and to grab pillows and blankets as soon as she gets on the plane. I survived a 17-hour direct flight to the Middle East in September (in economy, at that) so she'll be fine! (I would also suggest that she let the flight attendants know this is her first flight -- they'll likely spoil her and treat her like a queen!)

Old 12-02-2014, 04:24 PM

Each seat will have a small pillow and blanket. No guarantee they were cleaned between passengers (probably not.) It would be beyond rude to take a pillow/blanket from another seat unless AFTER the flight was in the air, no one was sitting there.

I wouldn't count on flight attendants spoiling her. With 50 other passengers to take care of, they really don't care.

Old 12-03-2014, 08:19 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,472,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Each seat will have a small pillow and blanket. No guarantee they were cleaned between passengers (probably not.) It would be beyond rude to take a pillow/blanket from another seat unless AFTER the flight was in the air, no one was sitting there.

I wouldn't count on flight attendants spoiling her. With 50 other passengers to take care of, they really don't care.
I never said anything about taking pillows and blankets from other seats. I said for her to be sure she got one for herself when she got on the plane.

And actually I've had quite the difference experience with most of my flights, because I'm actually NICE to the flight attendants and I treat them like people, not my personal slaves. We've received first class service (literally -- all the goodies the first class people get, extra food, $60 worth of free champagne when Emirates usually charges $15/glass for economy, etc) just by being nice. This has happened on three of our most recent long-haul flights, although not to the extent that it did on Emirates. I was even given a special birthday cake over the North Pole by the flight attendants! So yes, I believe if she tells them it's her first flight, they'll be extra nice to her...flight attendants were even extra nice to my niece and nephew when it was their first flight and that was only on a 3-hour Southwest flight.

It all depends on how you treat them - if you approach them with a snobby attitude as though they are lesser than you and their only purpose in life is to serve you, yeah, they probably don't care and won't do anything special for you. People who are snotty to flight attendants are probably the ones who expect to be served by those they view as lesser than them in other areas of their lives, and that's just wrong.

Old 12-03-2014, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RooCeleste View Post
I never said anything about taking pillows and blankets from other seats. I said for her to be sure she got one for herself when she got on the plane.

And actually I've had quite the difference experience with most of my flights, because I'm actually NICE to the flight attendants and I treat them like people, not my personal slaves. We've received first class service (literally -- all the goodies the first class people get, extra food, $60 worth of free champagne when Emirates usually charges $15/glass for economy, etc) just by being nice. This has happened on three of our most recent long-haul flights, although not to the extent that it did on Emirates. I was even given a special birthday cake over the North Pole by the flight attendants! So yes, I believe if she tells them it's her first flight, they'll be extra nice to her...flight attendants were even extra nice to my niece and nephew when it was their first flight and that was only on a 3-hour Southwest flight.

It all depends on how you treat them - if you approach them with a snobby attitude as though they are lesser than you and their only purpose in life is to serve you, yeah, they probably don't care and won't do anything special for you. People who are snotty to flight attendants are probably the ones who expect to be served by those they view as lesser than them in other areas of their lives, and that's just wrong.
I pointed out there will be one for each seat, so no need to worry about finding one, not sure why you even mentioned doing so. That said, I will reiterate, they are not washed between customers and, well, yuck. (First and business class do get fresh linens.)

Who said anything about being snobby? I take an average of 100 flights a year, and can guarantee that you got lucky, and FA's do not have the time to pamper economy customers. I have several friends who are flight attendants, and they are over worked and underpaid. Did you know they don't even begin to get paid until that door closes? They aren't there to coddle, they are there for safety. Anything else they do is over and above the real reason they are there and the reason that the FAA demands no more than 50 passengers per FA. Half the people on any given flight are celebrating something, flying for the first time, afraid to fly, etc. They simply can't acknowledge them all. They are far more likely to spend their time with the family accompanying HR, the teen who was summoned home from college after her parent unexpectedly passed, the elite FF who ended up in economy due to some airline error, or the child flying alone.

Also, you can't compare Emirates to American. That's like comparing the Four Seasons to the Days Inn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or