U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 02:52 PM

917 posts, read 1,054,202 times

Advertisements

I am looking for a late return flight next month. I found some through Kyack and Expedia. I checked on US Airways and it's 196.00

I checked American Airlines and this same flight is 272.00!! It states that it's operating through US Airways..

Kinda confusing why AA is charging so much.(Im obviously going through US Airways if I cant find anything else). My only problem is I have to switch flights and I'll be dealing with a 2 hr layover as well..
Luckily, I was able to get my first ticket for 55.00 thanks to some points I had on SW.(Didnt get round trip with SW because I need a late return and the latest they had was 7)

Anyone know where I can get a decent one way airline ticket?

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2014, 03:09 PM

556 posts, read 762,604 times
Where are you flying to/from, and on what dates? For travel around Christmas and New Years, you're going to have a hard time finding flights for much less than what you already have, especially if you are trying to book to separate one-way flights on separate airlines.

Southwest is generally the best option for one way flights. As far as I know, they are the only major carrier that doesn't show up on Kayak, so what you're finding on Kayak is as good as it gets. You are going to have a hard time finding a great price on a one way ticket, especially around the Holidays. If it has been less than 24 hours since you booked your flight with Southwest, you can cancel for a full refund without penalty. I suggest you search for round trip flights as well, and see if you can get something round trip for less that the separate one-way flights.

As for the airlines and conflicting fares, what your seeing is likely AA "owned" seats on a UA operated flight. Each airline sells their seats independent of the other (more or less now that the two are merging), and according to their own price schemes. AA has probably already sold most of their seats, so you are seeing the remaining tickets in the most expensive bucket. Meanwhile UA still has seats available in cheaper buckets.

Old 12-02-2014, 03:12 PM

9,130 posts, read 17,164,373 times
AA is being merged into USAir, to Form one airline, Called American Airlines.

But they within the two airlines (website) code share all the flights between them. But both AA and US website run more or less different (yield management Programs) pricing systems, that price the seats.

There is not super secret way of finding a one-way ticket, other then keep looking, and lock when you think its low.

Old 12-02-2014, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpheels View Post
Where are you flying to/from, and on what dates? For travel around Christmas and New Years, you're going to have a hard time finding flights for much less than what you already have, especially if you are trying to book to separate one-way flights on separate airlines.

Southwest is generally the best option for one way flights. As far as I know, they are the only major carrier that doesn't show up on Kayak, so what you're finding on Kayak is as good as it gets. You are going to have a hard time finding a great price on a one way ticket, especially around the Holidays. If it has been less than 24 hours since you booked your flight with Southwest, you can cancel for a full refund without penalty. I suggest you search for round trip flights as well, and see if you can get something round trip for less that the separate one-way flights.

As for the airlines and conflicting fares, what your seeing is likely AA "owned" seats on a UA operated flight. Each airline sells their seats independent of the other (more or less now that the two are merging), and according to their own price schemes. AA has probably already sold most of their seats, so you are seeing the remaining tickets in the most expensive bucket. Meanwhile UA still has seats available in cheaper buckets.
San Antonio to El Paso.. I already have my El Paso to San Antonio ticket.. it's on Dec 22 that I'd be coming back. I found some flights for 350 for a one way Economy! Seemed a bit pricey to me.. I booked my first flight to SA a while back.. But like I said, I need the latest flight possible and SW didnt offer any. Looks like my best bet is to buy the flight I saw for 200.

Old 12-02-2014, 05:38 PM

9,130 posts, read 17,164,373 times
There is a 535p-1045p for 115$ on the 12/22 right now on AA (connect thru DFW)

Old 12-03-2014, 08:27 AM

6,319 posts, read 6,983,961 times
Yikes...that's a pretty unique route and I imagine there aren't very many options, even without your after 7pm constraint.

You'll want to book the best price you can get right now...very likely that by tomorrow afternoon you won't see any price that low again.

Old 12-03-2014, 08:31 AM

6,319 posts, read 6,983,961 times
The only other decent option I can think of is Amtrak, but it departs in the middle of the night (2:15a). Currently only $83 for a basic reserved seat, which tend to be comfortable enough to sleep in. I'd be wary of taking Greyhound overnight.

Old 12-03-2014, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
There is a 535p-1045p for 115$ on the 12/22 right now on AA (connect thru DFW)
I saw that flight as well but thats too early considering I'd have to be there at about 430... I am just going to buy that ticket I saw on US Airways before the rate goes up

Old 12-03-2014, 09:04 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,632,643 times
You are trying to travel on a one way ticket on one of the busiest travel days we will see this year with very specific parameters regarding your travel times and between non-hub cities. Any of those will generally result in a higher priced ticket. In combination I'm surprised it's not higher.

The US ticket connecting through PHX leaving at 9:30 for $196 will be the best bet.

Old 12-03-2014, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
You are trying to travel on a one way ticket on one of the busiest travel days we will see this year with very specific parameters regarding your travel times and between non-hub cities. Any of those will generally result in a higher priced ticket. In combination I'm surprised it's not higher.

The US ticket connecting through PHX leaving at 9:30 for $196 will be the best bet.
Thats the one I am looking into buying!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or