Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2014, 06:04 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,986,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
I second (or third, or fourth, whatever) the ATM idea. Make sure your ATM card has the kind of 4-digit PIN that European ATM's require. And as mentioned above, let your bank and credit card issuer(s) know before you go that you will be traveling overseas.
Yes, this.
I learned this the hard way many years ago- not one of my better travel moments
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2014, 06:46 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
And then there is Amex, who, when I called to inform them I'd be out of the country, had a robo-response to not worry, they already knew. (I assume because I'd bought German train tickets with the card online.) Even though they don't have the coverage that MasterCard and Visa have, they're a good back-up card because they've got excellent customer service if anything goes wrong.

Old 12-06-2014, 06:50 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,936,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
I disagree. He should budget at least $10,000

per week
Hopefully this is sarcastic otherwise it sounds stupid....

Old 12-06-2014, 06:55 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,116,906 times
Your program covers the main expenses you will incur on your trip - accommodation, food, weekend trips. That said, I don't think you'll need $1,000 a week, unless you want to lug a ton of gifts home or plan up on breaking up with your host family. Maybe 250 or 300 euros / week, and that includes shopping money (Spaniards have more of a dress sense than Americans).

Use ATM to debit your savings account. Don't bring oodles of cash. Also, remember to say "Buenos Dias" when entering a store.

Old 12-06-2014, 08:31 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
Why don't you check with the school?
I agree that the school should know what is the typical amount that other students have spent. If you have it in your account you can remove as much as you need when you are in Spain.

If you have three meals a day, at your home stay, plus the weekend trips & school supplies included in your fees you may not need a lot of extra cash. You would need money for souvenirs, postcards and extras like treats/candy/soda/ice cream/coffee/wine/whatever/depends on your age. But, be sure to check out to see if you need to pay for the meals & lodging for the weekend trips (as that could add up fast).

Have fun.

Last edited by germaine2626; 12-06-2014 at 08:42 PM..

Old 12-06-2014, 09:40 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,790,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
Whenever I have budgeted in the past I have noticed I tend to spend around 50% more than I originally budget, on average. I see a lot of people on this forum talk about budgeting extremely low amounts on study abroad trips. My advice? Don't shoot yourself in the foot by limiting your budget. Try to have some fun
Agree here. I studied in Spain and wanted/needed to spend WAY MORE than I brought. It was kind of depressing.

Remember you will be in an exciting new place and this experience is a one and only experience. I suggest you bring double what you think you will need, and bring credit cards too. Speak to your parents about possibly borrowing money. Go prepared.

Remember that unexpected things always happen (extra money spent for school, missed train or bus, etc...) that can cost you money.

Old 12-07-2014, 12:37 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
Go, do, and see everything. Eat everything! And remember you can mail stuff home. I went to school in France and I literally gave away/threw away most of my clothes to get all my purchases in my suitcase! And I don't regret a single thing I bought! But read the rules on customs duty before you go! Lots of things are duty free, so if you have choices buy the stuff you can bring back free.

I was way underfunded. I took the amount of money the school told me to take and it was not enough. Luckily I found an under the table job and won some money on the horses. But I was there much longer than 4 weeks so our trips are not equivalent. My best advice is save/take as much money as you can!

Do research ATMs in Cadiz! Take several extra passport photos and some copies of your passport. And pack them separately. Just in case. Don't carry lots of cash. Do NOT even think about traveler's checks. About the only place you can cash them in Spain is AT an American Express office and that's in Madrid.

Old 12-07-2014, 08:25 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,336,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
ATM in 100-200 euro amounts is generally the way to go- that amount generally puts you at enough but not too much cash in your pocket. Let your bank & credit card issuer know beforehand you're going overseas so they don't freeze your account for irregularities. Also if a bank or merchant offers you something called' dynamic currency conversion' as an option, tell them you don't want it- it usually gives you a slightly worse exchange rate that way.

At the least, your handbag should have a zipper top & zip pocket for money and important documents storage and a strap long enough to carry it cross-body. (I don't bother with money belts and the like but know others prefer them in a country like Spain that does have a pickpocket problem in some areas.)
I agree, always use ATM to avoid local fees for currency exchange. ATM will charge whatever the bank in the USA charges.

There is no violent crime in Spain, streets are generally quite safe. Much safer than any major USA city. However, pickpockets take advantage of tourists in crowded areas.

Old 12-07-2014, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Use ATM to debit your savings account. Don't bring oodles of cash. Also, remember to say "Buenos Dias" when entering a store.
Or just Hola!!!!

Old 12-07-2014, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbenoit View Post
Hello everyone, I have already booked a flight to study abroad in Spain for 4 weeks in June 2015. I haven't done a lot of traveling at all in my lifetime and I'm trying to anticipate what all I will need. I know it's still a long way off, but can anyone give me any advice about how much spending money I will need to bring? I will be in Cadiz, Spain. The program includes the weekend trips, homestay with 3 meals a day plus laundry every week, class materials, etc. I want a ballpark figure so that I can start saving up my money from work. Also, since this will be my first time flying and traveling internationally, feel free to throw in any other tips that I may need to know .
Whatever, you do: Don't eat in McDonalds (some American college kids go there). Not worth it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel