U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 01:38 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,273,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
I think the only difference there is that "vacationer" includes the element of purpose, while "traveler" does not. (i.e. business vs. pleasure).

The one going to a gated community is still a traveler. They have traveled to get there.
This weekend I am going to my friend's place to have dinner about 30 miles away in a difference city. By your loose definition, I will be a traveller since I will travel to get there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2014, 02:03 PM

5,574 posts, read 5,840,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
This weekend I am going to my friend's place to have dinner about 30 miles away in a difference city. By your loose definition, I will be a traveller since I will travel to get there?
Technically, yes, you are a traveler. It's not a loose definition, it IS the definition.

Do you have a dictionary that shows your definition of traveler?

Old 12-22-2014, 05:17 PM

2,483 posts, read 3,539,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirty All View Post
But notice, in the definition of vacationer, to relax OR travel. So yes, there is a difference. The one in the gated community is there to RELAX--therefore a vacationer
The one exploring the outside is there to TRAVEL--therefore a vacationer and a traveler.
They're both travelers. If someone really needs to make a distinction, they can use terms like business traveler, adventure traveler or seasoned traveler instead of tourist or vacationer. Just know that you will sound pretentious if you always make a point to classify yourself that way.

Old 12-22-2014, 08:00 PM

16,411 posts, read 26,250,996 times
Nope, I don't like resorts.. but to each their own. I don't care how other people want to enjoy themselves.

Old 12-23-2014, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Nope, I don't like resorts.. but to each their own. I don't care how other people want to enjoy themselves.
People judge and are judged every minute on everything. Why can't we accept that instead of pretending "I don't judge people"? You do.

The difference is some people say it and others don't.

Old 12-23-2014, 07:43 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,620,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
They're both travelers. If someone really needs to make a distinction, they can use terms like business traveler, adventure traveler or seasoned traveler instead of tourist or vacationer. Just know that you will sound pretentious if you always make a point to classify yourself that way.
I'm not sure that using "business traveler" is pretentious. It signifies that a person has a schedule that too often unfortunately leaves no time to see more of any given area then the route between airport, hotel, office or convention center and return. It also typically signifies that someone else is paying the bill and setting the parameters for accommodations and overall travel budget. The other terms if used now and then as appropriate to the conversation, no problem. But to constantly identify yourself as a "seasoned traveler" I agree is pretentious.

Old 12-23-2014, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I'm not sure that using "business traveler" is pretentious.
You're right, that term is often just used as a matter of fact. I was trying to come up with common sorts of identifiers used with he word 'traveler'. The point was that if a person is always using some sort of qualifying label to separate oneself as a superior traveler, it sounds pretentious.

Old 12-23-2014, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
People judge and are judged every minute on everything. Why can't we accept that instead of pretending "I don't judge people"? ...The difference is some people say it and others don't.
There's some truth to that and it's pretty insightful and honest of you to bring it out. But some people really dwell on the decisions of others, whereas other strive to accept that we all have different ideas and perceptions.

A lot of it has to do with experience. There was a time where I always insisted on traveling to places on my own and getting as far off the grid as possibly. I would scoff at the herds of tourists for not knowing any better. But then my circumstances changed and there were times where I became the herded tourist and realized it makes sense in certain circumstances. So now I see people like that and I just figure they're at a place in life where that works for them. And then I truly don't care, because it could just as easily be me in their place.

Old 12-23-2014, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
There's some truth to that and it's pretty insightful and honest of you to bring it out. But some people really dwell on the decisions of others, whereas other strive to accept that we all have different ideas and perceptions.

A lot of it has to do with experience. There was a time where I always insisted on traveling to places on my own and getting as far off the grid as possibly. I would scoff at the herds of tourists for not knowing any better. But then my circumstances changed and there were times where I became the herded tourist and realized it makes sense in certain circumstances. So now I see people like that and I just figure they're at a place in life where that works for them. And then I truly don't care, because it could just as easily be me in their place.
some are part of the herds because that suits their need (based on their own research), while most are so just because they are lazy and simply follow whatever everyone else does. So it seems everyone is heading to the Caribbean islands during Christmas holidays, therefore I should too. It seems others are buying those all inclusive packages, sounds nice, I will do it too.

You are right people have different needs and any form of travel can be ideal for certain people. But you can't help wondering whether it is laziness or sheer stupidity when a couple in their 20s decides to join an organized tour to visit Paris or Rome, or a family repeatedly visits highly similar tropical islands year after year as if it were a ritual and there were nothing outside this small region that is worth seeing. I personally know people who have visited Cuba or Cancun 4 times, not because they LOVE it so much, but because they are familiar with it and it is the easiest thing to do.

Why can't we judge? Stupid people should be made to feel stupid.

Old 12-23-2014, 12:12 PM

5,574 posts, read 5,840,183 times
Thank you for confirming that it's all about establishing superiority. Definitely pretentious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel