Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 04:22 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,122,956 times

Advertisements

So, I've got a friend in North Ireland who's been pestering me to come stay a week.

I'm a Retired Marine, so I can catch a cheap-to free military flight (if I'm not on a schedule) but rather than going for a week I've decided to make it a part of a much longer trip.

I know I want to see Germany and itally and most things to the west.
I'm undecided if I want to see eastern europe and Norway etc this go round.

A europas would figure heavily into it, as would cheap lodging such as hostels.... But some times I'd get a much nicer room. (or might rent a place for a week or three)
So, trying to be relatively cheap, but not shoestring.

I would however basically have 2 pair of pants and a few changes of underclothing. I'm used to living out of a pack.

Biggest issue will be walking, I can't do great distances due to injuries.
Thats ok, I'm in no rush and have no agenda. I might find a little place I like and stay a week or a month.

Don't know if it will be next winter or the following one. (depends on hitting a couple financial goals first, and how long it takes to plan.)
This is just the "what should I see" and "do you have any websites of people who have done this" you'd recommend.

So basically: you have between a month and forever,
After the bills at home are taken care of, you have an income of ~$2,500 left
You may spend another $10k, $5k, couple grand, or nothing. Depends on how much fun your having!
You do not have any obligations to come back to.

What would you do?
Research resources?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2014, 08:47 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,981,726 times
Other than Italy (Venice is my favorite city), and Germany (Berlin!), I'd highly suggest Prague, CZR. That was one amazing city!!

Enjoy your trip -- I'd LOVE to spend a solid three months in Europe!!

Old 12-19-2014, 09:54 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,728,778 times
Czech Republic, Hungary and Poland are much cheaper than Western Europe and have tons of wonderful things to see. If your funds are limited, you should go to eastern Europe. However, I would not go during the winter.

Old 12-19-2014, 12:12 PM

556 posts, read 945,975 times
I strongly recommend Portugal - Lisbon and Porto are both great, and you can get a reasonably nice apartment on airbnb for about $30/night. The are both very affordable (or down right cheap) for food and drink. I spent most of 3 days in Porto just sitting along the water front, drinking wine and watching the world go by.

Old 12-19-2014, 07:39 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
I would rent a furnished place for a month each in 3 'hub' areas you want to enjoy.

I have been using Hospitality Guest homes for 30+ yrs. $10 - $20 / night worldwide. excellent stays. (usually the best part of the trip is meeting my hosts and learning from them)
I eat cheap by going to produce section early in morning and getting discarded produce.
Can you bike? That is a cheap way to transport.

Hospitality exchange - Wikitravel

Old 12-19-2014, 09:45 PM

7,775 posts, read 10,152,240 times
airbnb is another budget option (though not as cheap as hostels or hospitality exchange)

Yes, good cheaper alternatives are central/eastern european cities. I agree Prague is awesome.

Old 12-19-2014, 10:46 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,358,171 times
If you are taking a Space A military hop to Europe, probably the best and easiest place to get to is Ramstein AFB in Kaiserslautern, Germany. You have probably read all the details: Air Mobility Command - AMC Travel

The largest collection of US military personnel and posts remaining in Europe are within an hour of that base, so that means there are likely to be more flights to Ramstein than to other US bases in Europe, which have fewer US personnel. The other good thing is Kaiserslautern is only about 30 miles west of Mannheim and the east-west trains between Paris and Frankfurt run that route frequently. Mannheim is a good place to start your travels in Germany and Western Europe. Mannheim is a big hub for the main rail lines in Germany that go in all directions - see map:
http://www.bahn.de/p/view/mdb/bahnin...nnetz_2015.pdf

The most difficult part of your trip is deciding where to go from Mannheim, but I think it's a good place to start. Good luck.

PS, I also endorse stealthrabbit's suggestion of setting up a home base for a month or so in 3 different places that you might enjoy, and just do day trips from your home base. Instead of constantly looking for a different place to stay in a different city, and all the hassles that go along with that, you can settle in and sort of feel like a local after a week or so. It is also more economical because there are good deals to be had for month long rentals. In Germany it is very easy to rent monthly vacation studio apartment (Ferienwohnung) for a reasonable cost.

Last edited by recycled; 12-19-2014 at 10:56 PM..

Old 12-20-2014, 12:29 AM

16,069 posts, read 10,726,642 times
That sounds like the perfect chance to pick a few places and melt in to the rhythm and culture of the local scene. I'd want to visit larger tourist cities for a couple days but pick smaller towns for longer stays. Take time in Ireland to decompress and shake off the feeling that you need to be running from place to place. Pick a hill town in Umbria and a place by the sea in Spain or Portugal and spend ten days being a local at each place. Eastern Europe might be cheaper or maybe someplace in the Balkans. Try to stay in the older part of town. I spent almost week in a little town south of Turin, Italy, called Bra (for a wedding) and enjoyed the place no end. Having access to the raiload is essential wherever you stay. Don't drive if you can help it.

Old 12-20-2014, 02:37 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,122,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Czech Republic, Hungary and Poland are much cheaper than Western Europe and have tons of wonderful things to see. If your funds are limited, you should go to eastern Europe. However, I would not go during the winter.
Limited is a relative term... And I can always go back! (gotta love Space A)
I DON'T want to try to do too much and end up seeing things "on the run" I'd rather spend a month in a single country than do that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpheels View Post
I strongly recommend Portugal - Lisbon and Porto are both great, and you can get a reasonably nice apartment on airbnb for about $30/night. The are both very affordable (or down right cheap) for food and drink. I spent most of 3 days in Porto just sitting along the water front, drinking wine and watching the world go by.
Please understand, I don't mean " see Portugal" Or even "Lisbon"
What I'm looking for is more:
"When your in Spain, be sure not to miss the fort of XYZ in Gibraltar"
"allow a day minimum for the Louvre in Paris"

Etc.

I'd hate to get back and find out I walked past something I'd regret not seeing 3 blocks away!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I would rent a furnished place for a month each in 3 'hub' areas you want to enjoy.

I have been using Hospitality Guest homes for 30+ yrs. $10 - $20 / night worldwide. excellent stays. (usually the best part of the trip is meeting my hosts and learning from them)
I eat cheap by going to produce section early in morning and getting discarded produce.
Can you bike? That is a cheap way to transport.

Hospitality exchange - Wikitravel
Thank you, ats the type of link I expect to be most helpful.
And I'm DEFINATELY open to the "hubs" idea.... But would I really be able to go see things, and get back to the room each night?! (haven't tried euro rail travel before)

I can ride a bike, won't be any tour de France, but I can manage with the right orthotics.

I'm definately more of a "small town and countryside" type person. Don't plan on renting a car unless it's for a day or 3 here and there.

Thank you all, and please, keep it coming.

Old 12-20-2014, 11:40 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
Limited is a relative term... And I can always go back! (gotta love Space A)
I DON'T want to try to do too much and end up seeing things "on the run" I'd rather spend a month in a single country than do that!

... would I really be able to go see things, and get back to the room each night?! (haven't tried euro rail travel before)

I can ride a bike, won't be any tour de France, but I can manage with the right orthotics.

I'm definately more of a "small town and countryside" type person. Don't plan on renting a car unless it's for a day or 3 here and there.

Thank you all, and please, keep it coming.
I am countryside / small town centric myself (a farm kid). I have loved the euro farm stays and agritourismo in Spain. Southern France was friendliest and very fun staying on farms and helping with animals and crops/ talking with farmers and helping them with markets.
Many econo places (small towns on fringe of metro, but near train, you can find a furnished flat or sleeping room (boarder) for $500-$800/month).

When living in Spain, We used Eurorail as such:

After 10 PM travel counts as the next day, so...
Board a class B sleeper at 10 pm and go to your furthest destination overnight (shared w/ 6 / no extra charge) . Get there early and enjoy it, and work your way back toward home(or another destinations) on return 'day' trains until midnight using the same ticket (one day's punch).

Do be advised you can only buy Eurorail OUTSIDE of Europe, or at commissaries. Some folks think they can come to Europe and then but Eurorail tickets. Nope!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel