U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 01:06 PM

71,920 posts, read 83,551,069 times

Advertisements

I suppose I could go back and find a few that would be similar to Wyoeagle, especially when I was a kid and we the same, the small car, the family and didn't dad wasn't good about spending money on things he felt were not necessary. It wasn't a lack of funds, it was his idea of being practical.

As an adult, i think our worst vacation was a week spent in Florida and a short cruise. We spent 3 days with daughter and son in law in Orlando, had a nice time (thanksgiving with them) but really didn't do much. Then the day we left the rains greated us. We drove to Miami in the pouring down rain, spent 2 days in the hotel, watching it rain and 4 days on a ship, in an inside cabin, about the size of a small closet. We missed a port, there was a family with 2 very young kids that seemed to follow us everywhere. I love kids, but not crying babies. Then we had horrible table mates. It was the only time we have ever aksed to be moved. Except for a wonderful turkey dinner, I can't thimk of one thing about the trip i would want to repeat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2015, 01:40 PM

5,823 posts, read 10,147,934 times
Best : Venice Beach in 1970, first time I made love
Worst : Algeria 1974, was robbed and nearly killed

Old 01-01-2015, 02:05 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,250,780 times
I didn't have any "worst" vacations per se, but the trips that left me hugely unimpressed/unhappy/bored was Bangkok, Yosemite, Arle, France, Tamper Bay. Fortunately, no horrible experiences.

Old 01-02-2015, 05:30 AM

5,823 posts, read 10,147,934 times
Bangkok and Arles ? (I've visited both). Surprising. None of them both would be for me a first choice destination, but I had pleasant stays in both of them. Now I know some half dead villages in the flat ugly corn plain north of Paris (with large ugly commercial outlets along the roads)....the mere idea of living there would drive me nuts.

Old 01-02-2015, 07:38 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,250,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
Bangkok and Arles ? (I've visited both). Surprising. None of them both would be for me a first choice destination, but I had pleasant stays in both of them. Now I know some half dead villages in the flat ugly corn plain north of Paris (with large ugly commercial outlets along the roads)....the mere idea of living there would drive me nuts.
possibly due to poor planning.
In Bangkok it was the horrible traffic and difficulty of finding an honest taxi driver. In Arles, we were kind of in a rush and didn't find much particularly interesting after seeing a bunch of similar Roman towns (we probably should have gone to Aix-en-Provence instead).

Why did you go to north of Paris? Any city has bad areas. I will stick with the beautiful part only.

Old 01-02-2015, 07:52 AM

3,908 posts, read 4,644,145 times
Worst: Being in Amsterdam on our 2nd anniversary vacation and having a knock-down-drag-out public fight in a restaurant that led to a conversation about getting a divorce on the last morning of our trip

Best: Being in Hawaii during our 5th anniversary and spending time with our friends who lived there (obviously we did not divorce and will be celebrating 18 years this year).

Old 01-03-2015, 04:16 AM

5,457 posts, read 2,918,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
I can't think of worst experience at all. Even when things didn't look so rosy in the beginning, I managed to turn it around. To me, every chance I get to get away is a blessing and I refuse to let anything ruin that for me.
I am with you on that one!

I will say that some things have been surreal--riding a camel at sunset around the Great Pyramids. Standing in the middle of Vatican City. Standing in front of the Eiffel Tower. Watching the Northern Lights in Norway. Just surreal.

Driving from Portland, OR to Seattle, WA was a surprising, amazing, memorable road trip. Stopping at the beach towns along the way, watching the view of Mount St. Helens as we drove closer and closer to Seattle.
The glorious Christmas Markets in Germany, five days of hopping around the cities enjoying different ones.

Simple things, having coffee at an outdoor cafe in the Winter in Copenhagen. Love that they still enjoy the outdoors---nice blankets in the seats of the benches with the heaters from above and around you.

Old 01-03-2015, 04:23 AM

5,457 posts, read 2,918,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I didn't have any "worst" vacations per se, but the trips that left me hugely unimpressed/unhappy/bored was Bangkok, Yosemite, Arle, France, Tamper Bay. Fortunately, no horrible experiences.
Yosemite???? You must have not done the things that I did. I found it amazing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or