Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 10:53 AM

7,829 posts, read 11,787,380 times

Advertisements

Anyone here been to Cuba and willing to admit it? How was your experience and which country did you go through?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2014, 12:48 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
US citizens can go there legally through various channels. No need to sneak in.

Old 12-27-2014, 03:00 PM

24,484 posts, read 17,226,594 times
A friend of my wifes has been there twice and she loved it. I believe she went out of Canada to get there.
She said the Cuban people are friendly and happy to see tourists ( and their money too I'd say) It seems it is the Governments that have a problem with each other not the people.

Old 12-28-2014, 11:01 AM

1,409 posts, read 2,740,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
US citizens can go there legally through various channels. No need to sneak in.
Well I think you do. Most of those legal channels are quite pricey compared to, say, a package deal from Canada.

I'm interested to know how risky it would be for an American. If, for instance, you flew to Toronto or Cancun from somewhere in the States, and lied to the immigration people about where you were going and where you had been when you flew back. Like when you have to give the phone number of the hotel where you're staying. Sounds pretty risky to me.

Old 12-28-2014, 12:32 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,608,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wwanderer View Post
Like when you have to give the phone number of the hotel where you're staying. Sounds pretty risky to me.
What? I was redflagged for years and pulled to the side for secondary screening every time I re-entered the US. Not once was I ever asked for the phone number of the hotel I stayed at on my trip.

Old 12-28-2014, 01:37 PM

1,409 posts, read 2,740,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
What? I was redflagged for years and pulled to the side for secondary screening every time I re-entered the US. Not once was I ever asked for the phone number of the hotel I stayed at on my trip.
It happens often when you're entering a country. Of course, if you're leaving the U.S., then I guess you're right, they don't care.

Old 12-28-2014, 03:20 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,608,002 times
Only ever seen that question on custom cards for your destination country. Never seen the US ask which hotel you stayed at when you're abroad. Are you saying Canada does this? Wouldn't surprise me, a couple of my friends have been hassled by customs at the airport in Vancouver when flying back to Asia. Laptops searched and everything. Won't use Canada as an exit/entry point for this reason.

Old 12-29-2014, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Well I think you do. Most of those legal channels are quite pricey compared to, say, a package deal from Canada.

I'm interested to know how risky it would be for an American. If, for instance, you flew to Toronto or Cancun from somewhere in the States, and lied to the immigration people about where you were going and where you had been when you flew back. Like when you have to give the phone number of the hotel where you're staying. Sounds pretty risky to me.
From Canada you'd be beyond stupid, as US CBP routinely stand with their Canadian counterparts to see who is coming off a plane from Cuba. Considering you pre-clear US CBP in most Canadian airports that have flights to the US, it's no big deal for them to do so, and the Canadians cooperate fully.

It's my understanding that Brasil is the best entry point to and from embargoed countries. The cost of flying to and from Brasil negates any additional expense you'd have by going legally.

Old 12-29-2014, 07:23 AM

Quote:
It happens often when you're entering a country. Of course, if you're leaving the U.S., then I guess you're right, they don't care.
I've never been asked for the phone number of my hotel. I've been asked how long I intended to stay, the purpose of my visit, and that's about it. In Italy they have never even spoken to me, just glanced at my passport and waved me on.

Old 12-29-2014, 09:19 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
We have many friends who are ex pats living in Mexico who fly to Cuba all the time. I've never been interested enough in visiting Cuba to inquire about it.

We also have two neighbors who visited Cuba directly from the US on one of those rather expensive, government approved 'cultural or educational' tours. One couple loved it (they travel to many third world countries) while the other, also very well traveled lady did not enjoy the trip. Her inability to move about the country on her own was her primary complaint. She was required to stay in the resort or with her chartered tour group at ALL times. The other couple had the same requirements, but accepted them better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel