U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-26-2014, 08:01 AM
 
32,055 posts, read 32,950,797 times
Reputation: 14937

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTarge13 View Post
Silly airline????? I think they responded perfectly. I would not have wanted that idiot on any flight I was one.
I disagree as I think it is a stupid reason for the airline to make someone get off the airplane. If the guy has a good lawyer, he will probably sue the airline for this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-26-2014, 08:09 AM
 
Location: Northern VA
241 posts, read 197,509 times
Reputation: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
I think it is insulting and arrogant to assume everyone celebrates Christmas
I tend to agree. I usually err on the side of saying "Happy Holidays" just in case. But no rational person should get angry over someone saying Merry Christmas just because they don't celebrate it.
I wouldn't have an issue if someone said Happy Hanukkah to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2014, 08:17 AM
 
5,574 posts, read 5,830,046 times
Reputation: 16489
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
I don't think it is appropriate to say Merry Christmas, I think it is insulting and arrogant to assume everyone celebrates Christmas (I do celebrate Christmas).
Whether it's appropriate or not, if someone wishes someone else "Merry Christmas," the correct response is "Thank You." Because whether one celebrates the holiday or not, they should recognize the intent behind the statement, which is simply to wish someone well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2014, 09:09 AM
 
Location: Brooklyn,NY
10,608 posts, read 13,135,231 times
Reputation: 16152
What an idiot. With all the strife in society right now he goes planters crazy nuts over a greeting meant to wish someone well. I myself say happy holidays esp at work but got numerous "Merry Christmas" greetings straightforward and it was all good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2014, 09:26 AM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,565,311 times
Reputation: 13019
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Whether it's appropriate or not, if someone wishes someone else "Merry Christmas," the correct response is "Thank You." Because whether one celebrates the holiday or not, they should recognize the intent behind the statement, which is simply to wish someone well.
This.

The guy deserved to not be allowed to fly. His response was inappropriate. I was wished Happy Hanukah last week. My response was, "Thank you! Same to you." I am not Jewish. I was also wished Merry Christmas many times, and my response was always the same, "Thank you! Same to you!" I am not Christian. My goodness, people need to lighten up and be in the spirit of a season of good will towards all mankind instead of Grinch's who need a little Cindi Lou Who to actually give them a heart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2014, 11:03 AM
 
Location: Niceville, FL
7,678 posts, read 16,089,040 times
Reputation: 7689
There are probably times in theory where it's a good idea to get into it with a flight crew, though I can't think of a single one right now, and this definitely wasn't it.

If you're that insulted by this kind of thing, bottle up the rage until the trip is complete, write a letter to the airline's customer service expressing your extreme outrage, and not only will you avoid getting put on the 'no fly' list, you'll also likely get a modest number of frequent flyer miles for expressing your anger in a more constructive way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2014, 11:13 AM
 
Location: Long Neck,De
4,792 posts, read 6,786,111 times
Reputation: 4768
After the outburst I certainly would not have wanted to fly with this guy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2014, 12:15 PM
 
Location: the Permian Basin
4,196 posts, read 3,079,802 times
Reputation: 5892
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
I don't think it is appropriate to say Merry Christmas
I think it's inappropriate to NOT say Merry Christmas - unless you know that the person to whom you are speaking celebrates Hanukkah.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2014, 12:37 PM
 
Location: San Francisco, CA
88,054 posts, read 3,668,635 times
Reputation: 7493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
I think it's inappropriate to NOT say Merry Christmas - unless you know that the person to whom you are speaking celebrates Hanukkah.
Really?? With all this controversy over what to say, you want to penalize someone for opting to be on the safe side and choosing to say nothing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2014, 01:34 PM
 
Location: Long Neck,De
4,792 posts, read 6,786,111 times
Reputation: 4768
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
I think it's inappropriate to NOT say Merry Christmas - unless you know that the person to whom you are speaking celebrates Hanukkah.
There are also others who do not celebrate either Christmas or Hanukkah.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top