U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 07:44 AM

29,557 posts, read 16,533,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
To each their own. I'm certainly not offended by someone wishing me a Happy :insert name of holiday here:. I take it as a sentiment of good cheer.
That's because you are probably a normal mature adult.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2014, 07:51 AM

24,503 posts, read 35,508,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Why would any normal adult be offended by someone saying "Merry Christmas"?
I can't answer why. But someone tried this and people got offended. Saying "Happy Hanukkah" and "Happy Diwali", etc. might just offend people. Whether it does or not doesn't really matter. What matters is that most people are sane enough not to flip out when hearing one of these.

Old 12-27-2014, 09:26 AM

4,852 posts, read 2,004,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Bah, humbug!
A passenger was tossed off a plane at La Guardia Airport on Tuesday after flipping out — because airline workers wished him a merry Christmas.

Passenger tossed after flipping out over staff’s ‘Merry Christmas’ | New York Post
The Guardians of Tolerance (my name for hypocrites) don't seem to realize that tolerance is not selective. The war on Christmas continues.

Old 12-27-2014, 09:32 AM

5,833 posts, read 4,871,492 times
If you flip out when someone offers you a happy greeting, there is more going on than not celebrating that particular holiday in your religion (or lack of a religion). This man is either a total jack-hole, or something else was eating at him, or possibly he was drunk. Whatever the reason, a person who cannot control his emotions in the face of someone offering him cheer really shouldn't be confined in a small metal tube 30,000 ft in the air with innocent people. Imagine if they told him they couldn't accommodate his oversized carry-on! All hell would break loose! Or what if they are all out of Kosher meals, or the latrine malfunctions, or a little kid starts kicking the back of his seat, and G*d forbid someone reclines their seat into his space. No thank you! This guy is clearly too immature to shut up and sit still for a couple hours so others are not inconvenienced by his "problem".

Old 12-27-2014, 09:35 AM

24,503 posts, read 35,508,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
The Guardians of Tolerance (my name for hypocrites) don't seem to realize that tolerance is not selective. The war on Christmas continues.
This isn't a war on Christmas. This is an idiot, and perhaps, a mentally unbalanced individual overreacting to a small mistake.

Old 12-27-2014, 09:35 AM

3,280 posts, read 3,848,456 times
Mr. Ebenezer Scrooge celebrates festivus.

Old 12-27-2014, 10:06 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,677,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
This isn't a war on Christmas. This is an idiot, and perhaps, a mentally unbalanced individual overreacting to a small mistake.
Or a small something else.

Old 12-27-2014, 10:28 AM

1,330 posts, read 1,333,977 times
There are two sides to every story, something I learned from being a cop for 40 years.

Playing the devil's advocate, not everyone flies commercially for happy occasions. Perhaps this individual was on his way to visit a very ill family member/acquaintance or attend a funeral. Some people do get seriously sick or die at the Holidays. 38 years ago, I buried my wife on Christmas Eve and needless to say, I did not have a very Merry Christmas and haven't had one since.

Old 12-27-2014, 10:33 AM

11,293 posts, read 8,474,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
So what? Their rights do not supersede mine or anyone else's.

Besides, if simply being told Merry Christmas makes your blood boil to the point of a DEFCON 5 freakout, you really should seriously consider getting a CAT scan. Maybe the flight attendant should have just punched him in the mouth instead.

It is. Only a complete idiot or total nutjobber would think otherwise.
Awesomely said!

I told a "friend" on the phone "Tell your mom Merry Christmas and give her a hug" She turned to her mom and said "she said Happy Holidays". YOU LIE! That did sort of make my blood boil - I'll admit. Probably wouldn't have been a good airline passenger at that moment.

Old 12-27-2014, 10:45 AM

7,694 posts, read 16,142,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrolman View Post
Playing the devil's advocate, not everyone flies commercially for happy occasions. Perhaps this individual was on his way to visit a very ill family member/acquaintance or attend a funeral.
I've done the funeral flight surrounded by people connecting down to Atlanta for spring break partay! Are We having fun yet? Joy! Joy ! Headed to Cancun/Key West/San Juan/Miami for the break like us?

And managed to be quietly polite and not insulted by those having fun around me. If that was the case here, a mumbled 'not too merry-my brother just died' would have in all likelihood gotten a polite 'I'm sorry for your loss' and on a lot of airlines and routes, a quiet offer of an extra drink or two from a sympathetic FA. The customer-facing employees know that a lot of people do indeed travel with grief and the majority of them are decent enough human beings to not want to make the final visit to X worse for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or