U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 11:36 AM

28,229 posts, read 47,666,499 times

Advertisements

A 68-year-old woman is suing United Airlines for $5 million because, she says, she spent three days in jail simply because she switched seats on a plane. Jean Mamakos of New York had changed planes in Seattle en route to Alaska, and after the doors closed for takeoff, she attempted to move to an empty row. Flight attendants told her that if she wanted to sit in the emergency exit row seat, she would need to pay for an upgrade. "At that point, I decided no, I'm not paying $109 and went back to my seat," Mamakos tells CBS New York.

Woman Switches Seats on Plane, Spends 3 Days in Jail
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2014, 11:52 AM

12,351 posts, read 18,454,883 times
I guess the article forgot to mention the "heated argument". John, please post the original source, which doesn't offer much more detail, but suggests at least that something much more went on then simply changing seats.

United dragged me off flight after argument: lawsuit | New York Post

Old 12-26-2014, 12:01 PM

28,229 posts, read 47,666,499 times
CBS2 Exclusive: LI Woman Sues United Airlines Following Arrest On Flight

CBS2 Exclusive: Jean Mamakos Sues United After Arrest On Flight CBS New York

Another source

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...days-jail.html

Old 12-26-2014, 12:14 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,664,791 times
Something is just really wrong here. It sounds like the FA's COMPLETELY overreacted. People change seats every day. If it was going to cause a weight/balance issue (HIGHLY doubtful on a large jet) the FA could have just said so. I'm guessing that the FA was looking to pick a fight and the woman wasn't having it. Both were wrong, but I'm not reading anything that warranted her being hauled off to jail.

I've changed seats many, many times on airplanes, and have never been told I couldn't as long I remained in the same class of service.

Old 12-26-2014, 04:29 PM

7,689 posts, read 16,136,434 times
Exit row is a premium priced seating area for a number of carriers outside of Southwest. If you don't get comped into an 'enhanced' economy seat by virtue of frequent flyer status, then you're expected to pay for that seat. I have paid for enhanced economy seating a fair number of times because I'm a very leggy broad and all. (And when I do fly Southwest, I pay extra for early boarding so I have a chance for an exit row seat.) So yeah, I'm on the FA's side in the sense that the passenger was attempting to take an enhanced service she hadn't paid for, but think the three days in jail was overkill.

Old 12-26-2014, 05:21 PM

13,343 posts, read 17,445,075 times
I'm sure she was headed off to a few hours in jail when she didn't voluntarily get off the plane when the police asked her to. It turned into 3 days in jail because the event happened on a Friday and the courts weren't open on the weekends.

Quote:
Officer: “Do you want to come willingly or be arrested for trespass?”
Mamakos: “Whatever you have to do.”
Officer: “OK.”
Mamakos said she resisted the arrest because she had paid thousands in airfare for the round trip flight, and claims unfriendly flight attendants overreacted when she tried to move to an empty row after the doors closed for

Old 12-27-2014, 08:25 AM

29,557 posts, read 16,526,654 times
I suspect there is much more involved here than just changing seats.

And changing to another seat within your pricing category is quite different than changing to a higher priced seat.

Old 12-27-2014, 10:08 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,664,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Exit row is a premium priced seating area for a number of carriers outside of Southwest. If you don't get comped into an 'enhanced' economy seat by virtue of frequent flyer status, then you're expected to pay for that seat. I have paid for enhanced economy seating a fair number of times because I'm a very leggy broad and all. (And when I do fly Southwest, I pay extra for early boarding so I have a chance for an exit row seat.) So yeah, I'm on the FA's side in the sense that the passenger was attempting to take an enhanced service she hadn't paid for, but think the three days in jail was overkill.
Once boarding is complete and the door is shut, as long as people remain in their class of service, I have NEVER seen a FA have a problem with someone switching to an extra fee seat--most even encourage it.

Old 12-27-2014, 11:18 AM

15,109 posts, read 19,078,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Once boarding is complete and the door is shut, as long as people remain in their class of service, I have NEVER seen a FA have a problem with someone switching to an extra fee seat--most even encourage it.
Maybe the FA wanted to give the seat to a very tall passenger, or a frequent flyer.

Old 12-27-2014, 11:35 AM

5,481 posts, read 2,936,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Moving to an Emergency Exit seat is not just another seat.

One has to verbally agree to helping out in an Emergency situation. Those questions the FA asks of the people sitting there is just not something they do for fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or