Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 07:53 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,977,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
N Korea has no interested in beheading you.
Those countries don't "hate" western countries. It is western countries who simply can't tolerate different political systems. You have it totally backwards.
When I was in the Middle East earlier this year, my travel companion got into some political conversations with various people we met throughout the two weeks. Her typical question was "What do you think about America?" to which every single one of them -- and they were all unrelated and in two different countries -- replied with some variation of "We love American people but we do not like the American government. They are pushy and intrusive." I believe the word intrusive was used several times, actually.

While I can't necessarily disagree totally with them, I do believe there are quite a few countries in the world where just being an American puts you at a rather high risk. I want to travel anywhere possible all over the world, but when my life is in grave danger just because I'm American, I'll hold off until things are calmer. I definitely don't want to be one of the news stories back home!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2015, 08:05 AM

321 posts, read 291,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Your post is so ignorant. Countries that hate westerners are dangerous. You will never see me on TV being beheaded in Iran. I won't give N Korea the opportunity to imprison me.

I didn't say crime. It's their governments that are dangerous.

Iran is perfectly safe for US citizens to visit. I've known several people that have. All loved it. The only issues arise is if you have dual citizenship (Iran / U.S.). If you're just an American, there is no issue at all.

Really, your post is the ignorant one.

Old 01-06-2015, 08:10 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,699,239 times
Quote:
N Korea has no interested in beheading you.
I never said they did.

Quote:
Those countries don't "hate" western countries. It is western countries who simply can't tolerate different political systems. You have it totally backwards.
Tell that to this guy.

BBC News - US detainees freed by North Korea

Old 01-06-2015, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustelid1971 View Post
Iran is perfectly safe for US citizens to visit. I've known several people that have. All loved it. The only issues arise is if you have dual citizenship (Iran / U.S.). If you're just an American, there is no issue at all.

Tell that to the US Dept of State:

The Department of State warns U.S. citizens to carefully consider the risks of travel to Iran. Dual national Iranian-American citizens may encounter difficulty in departing Iran. U.S. citizens should stay current with media coverage of local events and carefully consider nonessential travel. This Travel Warning updates without change the Travel Warning for Iran issued November 21, 2013.

Some elements in Iran remain hostile to the United States. As a result, U.S. citizens may be subject to harassment or arrest while traveling or residing in Iran.

Iran Travel Warning

So, really, your post is the ignorant one.

Old 01-06-2015, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustelid1971 View Post

And tell that to these three hikers.

On July 31, 2009, three Americans, Joshua Fattal (27), Sarah Shourd (32), and Shane Bauer (28) were taken into custody by Iranian border guards for crossing into Iran while hiking near the Iranian border in Iraqi Kurdistan.

At the time of their detention by Iranian troops, the three Americans were on vacation from their jobs in the region in a relatively stable, autonomous region of Iraq known as Iraqi Kurdistan. On the recommendations of locals, they hiked to see a popular local Iraqi tourist destination near the Iraq-Iran border, the Ahmed Awa waterfall.

Following the hikers' capture on the Iraqi-Iranian border, a wide range of outside voices, including the Secretary-General of the United Nations, Ban Ki-moon, and the human rights group Amnesty International, had called for the hikers' unconditional release.[1]

Iran subsequently claimed the three were spies[2] but was never able to offer any evidence to support its contention.[1]

Old 01-06-2015, 09:03 AM

556 posts, read 944,200 times
I guess I should add to my list that I will not visit countries that do not currently have diplomatic relations with the US - I'm OK with informal relations like those in Taiwan or even Cuba. I'm not OK with visiting Iran and N Korea in part because there is no access to an embassy or an equivalent support system. If something goes wrong, even something totally unrelated to politics such as a sudden illness or unintentional injury the US embassy can be a crucial in facilitating appropriate care and repatriation. If you into legal problems, regardless of the cause of the problems, the US embassy should be your first call, and if the country you're visiting doesn't talk to the US Dept of State, then you're SOL.

Old 01-06-2015, 03:05 PM

26,585 posts, read 61,946,815 times
Quote:
that's only your preference. N Korea doesn't have much in terms of tourism to offer to start with. But is it because of politics? How much do you know about North Korea? And what political reasons make it unfit for visiting?

Like in any country, if you live by local laws and rules, you will be just fine. I know at least 3 people who have been to North Korea and nothing bad happened to them.
Goody for you. It doesn't mean I have any intention or desire to visit there.

Old 01-06-2015, 08:10 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,856,772 times
Quote:
Tell that to the US Dept of State:

The Department of State warns U.S. citizens to carefully consider the risks of travel to Iran. Dual national Iranian-American citizens may encounter difficulty in departing Iran. U.S. citizens should stay current with media coverage of local events and carefully consider nonessential travel. This Travel Warning updates without change the Travel Warning for Iran issued November 21, 2013.

Some elements in Iran remain hostile to the United States. As a result, U.S. citizens may be subject to harassment or arrest while traveling or residing in Iran.

Iran Travel Warning

So, really, your post is the ignorant one.

Fail. The US DOS warns against a ton of totally safe countries. They have warnings against most of latin america! Those are political, not factual.

Try talking to people that go there. Or stay ignorant.

US DOS warnings are next to useless.

Old 01-06-2015, 08:12 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,856,772 times
Quote:

On July 31, 2009, three Americans, Joshua Fattal (27), Sarah Shourd (32), and Shane Bauer (28) were taken into custody by Iranian border guards for crossing into Iran while hiking near the Iranian border in Iraqi Kurdistan.

They didn't visit Iran. They crossed the border without authorization. They entered illegally. Not at all the same. Most countries, including ours, don't take kindly to that.

Old 01-07-2015, 11:50 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,686,067 times
Quote:

At the time of their detention by Iranian troops, the three Americans were on vacation from their jobs in the region in a relatively stable, autonomous region of Iraq known as Iraqi Kurdistan. On the recommendations of locals, they hiked to see a popular local Iraqi tourist destination near the Iraq-Iran border, the Ahmed Awa waterfall.

Following the hikers' capture on the Iraqi-Iranian border, a wide range of outside voices, including the Secretary-General of the United Nations, Ban Ki-moon, and the human rights group Amnesty International, had called for the hikers' unconditional release.[1]

Iran subsequently claimed the three were spies[2] but was never able to offer any evidence to support its contention.[1]

the question to be ask is: did the three enter Iran legally (with proper visa etc.)?
If not, there is nothing to complain. Try cross the US border illegally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel