U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 05:15 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,985,944 times

Advertisements

Or maybe it's just me. Now don't get me wrong, I usually love my vacations but I seem to get a bit more excited exploring and planning the different hotel options, airlines, car rentals, and places to eat and explore prior to backing out of my driveway. Once on vacation, I guess the "caught in the moment" feel takes over and things seem a bit less exciting. I'm curious to know if others feel the same way or not?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2014, 06:53 PM

5,189 posts, read 13,345,274 times
Yeah...I get a real "high" from the booking process. I, too, enjoy my actual vacation, but sometimes, the "anticipation" is just as much fun!!!

Old 12-28-2014, 08:04 PM

11,660 posts, read 6,266,537 times
Agreed. I make sure to enjoy myself once I'm at my destination, but I am much more excited about the research and booking process. I feel like Sherlock Holmes browsing various forums and websites for travel advice, including information on finding the best fares and hotel bargains. For my trip next month to London via Oslo, I especially enjoyed learning more about budget European airlines (specifically, Norwegian) and about booking for Priceline for the first time for a hotel (there are some risks using Priceline for a bid or through their Express Deals program as you don't know where you're staying until the end of the process, but I was very lucky this time around). Next, I'm going to look into finding things to do and places to eat while in London/Oslo. I'm so excited!

Old 12-28-2014, 08:14 PM

6,312 posts, read 6,960,359 times
I am with everyone else. Wouldn't say MORE fun, but I sure do have lots of fun with the planning.

Old 12-28-2014, 09:05 PM

2,935 posts, read 4,763,635 times
Researching travel destinations is a hobby of mine. Rarely am I actually planning a trip, though. All my vacations are spontaneous, never book flights more than a few days in advance, and for hotels usually same day bookings. So whenever I actually arrive in a place, I have a general idea of what I want to do, but I never actually plan for more than a day or two in advance. Hotels in particular hate me because I never know if I am going to extend until late check out time lol

Old 12-28-2014, 11:37 PM

9,250 posts, read 10,900,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by santafe400 View Post
Or maybe it's just me. Now don't get me wrong, I usually love my vacations but I seem to get a bit more excited exploring and planning the different hotel options, airlines, car rentals, and places to eat and explore prior to backing out of my driveway. Once on vacation, I guess the "caught in the moment" feel takes over and things seem a bit less exciting. I'm curious to know if others feel the same way or not?!
No, I still enjoy the actual vacation, but I do LOVE the planning. I say that knowing people who hate the planning part. To me, the planning is just as exciting as the trip.

Old 12-29-2014, 07:02 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,565,311 times
I generally enjoy the planning, but definitely prefer the vacation.

Old 12-31-2014, 12:54 AM

7,721 posts, read 9,015,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by santafe400 View Post
Do you get this because you built a vacation up to be more than it turned out to be? I get excited for vacations but try not to do this, if that makes sense.

Old 12-31-2014, 01:10 AM

118 posts, read 127,916 times
I really enjoy the planning and work really hard at getting the best deal possible on every aspect of the trip. I am normally joined by 1 to 10 of my friends and they are alway thanking me for doing the planning. Truth is they would have to wrestle the fun of planning from me. We planners are not the norm, absolutely none of my friends want to have any input into the trip, they want it served to them like a restaurant meal, more fun for me!

Old 12-31-2014, 07:39 AM

2,069 posts, read 3,501,400 times
My wife sure does! She loves planning trips and finding things to do. She even puts together color-coded itineraries to plan out every day of the trip for the entire family: what we will do, where we will stay, where we will eat, etc.

It used to drive the family crazy until we reached an agreement with her. She is free to plan every detail of the trip and produce every planning chart she wishes, and during the trip we are free to ignore the plans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or