Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 02:08 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Look to getting a cheap flight to NYC and then taking Norwegian into Gatwick via Oslo if you're so inclined as you'll save a lot of money. Yes, you'll have a layover and, yes, you'll give up some comfort if you take Norwegian's budget/low fare (I got a roundtrip to London via Oslo late January for under $400), but that seems to be the trade off for getting a great financial deal nowadays.
In my case, I live in an area that's an outstation for any carrier we're lucky enough to get service with. By the time you figure in $300 or so per person and the significant risk come irregular operations of flying on two different tickets if I'm trying to connect through some place like DC or NYC, (possibly a hotel to be 'safe in that regard) or the cost of a couple nights in a hotel plus parking and gas if we drive the six hours to Orlando to pick up a LCC option, we end up at the point where we're usually better off just flying from our local airport on a single PNR and having a friend handle drop off and pick-up so we'll save $100-$200 in parking right off the bat.

Only reason why I was trying to work out one of those Wow! Air specials a while back was because they're flying BWI-LGW and I've got some SWA gift cards I could have used to cover getting to BWI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2015, 06:45 PM

1,596 posts, read 2,059,032 times
Thanks for all the advice and information about LHR taxes, and alternative routes and days. Because I'll be meeting up with friends in London, I wanted to meet with them on the Friday and Saturday time frames because of their work schedules.

I'll figure something out, but I think I'm leaning towards flying into Dublin, taking the train to Killarney in Co. Kerry, train it back up, and fly to the UK for a few days that way.

I'll post an update once I firm up plans.

Old 01-01-2015, 07:19 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,131,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MItoBH View Post
Thanks for all the advice and information about LHR taxes, and alternative routes and days. Because I'll be meeting up with friends in London, I wanted to meet with them on the Friday and Saturday time frames because of their work schedules.

I'll figure something out, but I think I'm leaning towards flying into Dublin, taking the train to Killarney in Co. Kerry, train it back up, and fly to the UK for a few days that way.

I'll post an update once I firm up plans.
I was in Cork a while back ... loved that part of Ireland. Nice people, great food, lovely country.

Old 01-02-2015, 12:18 PM

276 posts, read 330,612 times
I booked my ticket from EWR to Heathrow for $950 R/T ticket in spring flying out on a Saturday.

Book on Kayak.com or Expedia.com

Old 01-02-2015, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Valentino- View Post
I booked my ticket from EWR to Heathrow for $950 R/T ticket in spring flying out on a Saturday.

Book on Kayak.com or Expedia.com

You're flying from the East Coast! and by Spring, do you mean late March, April? I used to live in Maryland, NJ and NYC and kicked ass on East Coast flights to London too. But now that I'm in flyover country Michigan, it's around $2k! It doesn't matter if I use Kayak or Expedia, which I do refer to, it's where I'm based from and the monopoly that Delta has at Detroit which drives ups the cost. Your very low ticket cost is half that for DTW to LHR, and with the flying distance between DTW and EWR being around a measly hour, I'm being ripped off.

Old 01-02-2015, 09:59 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,125,272 times
At the same time, can anyone tell me why it's been so cheap as of late to fly into IST (Istanbul)? I've seen R/T rates regularly go down to $800 and even below including taxes and fees and this is from DLH (Duluth, Minnesota)!

Old 01-03-2015, 08:56 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
Turkish Air has been trying to break into the American air markets in a big way ($600 fares from their US gateway cities to IST are not uncommon) and the American carriers have felt pressure to match those prices.

If you're near a Turkish gateway city, you can also sometimes find quite good prices for connecting through Istanbul to places like Venice, Italy.

Old 01-03-2015, 08:58 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MItoBH View Post
You're flying from the East Coast! and by Spring, do you mean late March, April? I used to live in Maryland, NJ and NYC and kicked ass on East Coast flights to London too. But now that I'm in flyover country Michigan, it's around $2k! It doesn't matter if I use Kayak or Expedia, which I do refer to, it's where I'm based from and the monopoly that Delta has at Detroit which drives ups the cost. Your very low ticket cost is half that for DTW to LHR, and with the flying distance between DTW and EWR being around a measly hour, I'm being ripped off.
Have you considered traveling to a different airport? It might be worth a few hours in a car.

Old 01-03-2015, 08:59 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
At the same time, can anyone tell me why it's been so cheap as of late to fly into IST (Istanbul)? I've seen R/T rates regularly go down to $800 and even below including taxes and fees and this is from DLH (Duluth, Minnesota)!
Because when Turkey began have problems with terrorists last year, a lot of people cancelled travel plans to the region. Supply and demand.

Old 01-04-2015, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Have you considered traveling to a different airport? It might be worth a few hours in a car.

Sadly, in my region, DTW is the largest airport. It's not worth it to drive to Toronto or Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel