U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 02:16 PM

14,188 posts, read 6,434,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post

One interesting rule of the road -- if you meet a temporary traveling companion, you never offer to treat them to anything. Everyone pays their own way, right to the penny.
Hmm, interesting tip. The female solo traveler I met was staying at the same place I was. This place wanted us to pay in cash because the island has no bank & she has to pay her employees, etc. In emails, she stressed this. My friend on the day she was leaving did not have the cash to pay for her stay, she wanted to pay with a credit card. The owner was a bit peeved, you could tell, but she said fine however there would be a pretty high percentage rate on the card. The girl went to her casita, was gone for a long time, came back & asked me if I was willing to give her the cash (she knew I had cash on me) & she would write me a check. Now I'm not saying she was sketchy by any means, we got along great, she lives in CA, seems legit but I was like, seriously? Um no, how can I trust that she'll have the money in her account when I cash the check, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2015, 02:07 PM

1,871 posts, read 1,667,704 times
I just thought of something else, when you travel by yourself you can singing along and blast the radio as loud as you want it. Love that part of traveling. Love listening to local radio stations across the country.

Old 01-07-2015, 02:46 PM

6,586 posts, read 3,674,133 times
I've taken several Amtrak trips alone and loved it. I always get a roomette which keeps my stuff secure if I roam around the train. I meet some very interesting people. I like the open seating in the dining car and meeting different travellers...you always have something in common to talk about.

I took a week-long solo trip to Santa Fe after thanksgiving and enjoyed it. Eating alone in restaurants doesn't bother me and I went to a few museums and galleries. It was rainy a couple days so I read two books - something I can't find time to do at home. It seemed like a nice way to get away between the holidays. I'm not sure I'd take a long international trip by myself but I'd probably go with a tour group.

Old 04-08-2015, 11:09 AM

21,964 posts, read 22,131,923 times
Hate it, hate it, hate it, hate it!

To me, a huge part of what I like about traveling is sharing experiences with someone I can relive those experiences with years later. I know it's some people's thing, but it's definitely not mine.

Old 04-10-2015, 02:00 PM

10,234 posts, read 13,991,715 times
I love to travel alone, and used to do it all the time. Because of it, I have spoiled myself against trying to travel with friends. (Did a weekend trip last year with two friends and my patience wore really thin.) I would much rather travel alone than with the wrong person(s); however, I'm not against trying a group travel with strangers sometime down the road.

My husband and I travel together more now than ever, but there have been a couple of times when I was very glad he was NOT with me. I spent almost 2 weeks in New York back in '09, and with his bad ankle we would have had a problem with all the walking.

Old 04-10-2015, 03:10 PM

5,468 posts, read 2,927,038 times
I like traveling alone. Yes, sometimes I wish I had a companion for about an hour a day

I just traveled with a friend for six days. Thought I was going to shoot myself on Day three.

Old 04-13-2015, 02:15 PM

1,579 posts, read 1,548,163 times
I love traveling by myself. While I would welcome having someone else with me, I would not have been able to do 80% of the traveling I have done if I needed someone else with me. I'm naturally an introvert, and I just love to immerse myself into something new. I'm the ideal solo traveler, but I do enjoy sharing experiences with others.

Old 04-13-2015, 04:06 PM

13,821 posts, read 18,803,182 times
I really like it and I usually talk to other people that are traveling as well . I usually travel to English speaking countrys anyways because you just never know being female and traveling by yourself . One year I fell down and a man that was on the tour bus with us helped me up and asked me if I was okay ? I told him I was fine but I thought it rude of the travel guide not asking me if I was alright . The man who helped me introduced himself and his fiancé and all three of us talked on the way back to the hotel . I honestly have never seen those people again but I did like them .

Old 04-14-2015, 09:22 AM

2,852 posts, read 1,816,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Hate it, hate it, hate it, hate it!

To me, a huge part of what I like about traveling is sharing experiences with someone I can relive those experiences with years later. I know it's some people's thing, but it's definitely not mine.
I do agree with you, it is a great shared experience. I've had a great time going solo and with a person I was in a relationship with. My s/o and I did a trip to Prague and Krakow a month and a half ago and I have to say it was a blast. I was a little nervous as it was our first overseas trip together but we only had a few minor disagreements.

Old 04-14-2015, 09:41 AM

1,188 posts, read 1,123,184 times
i like traveling alone mostly
i can enjoy traveling with a group, but only if I'm the one in charge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or