Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 09:41 PM

621 posts, read 1,033,029 times

Advertisements

I am not a traveler so I don't travel. But my friend recently went to Vegas for XMAS through New Years Eve, and supposedly she left her cell phone at home, and barely made it home today January 1st 2015. To me, I call this BS, really you really left your phone at home, something people usually carry with them 24/7.

How many of you travelers have had this happen to you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2015, 09:54 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,454,442 times
When I traveled to Europe for two and half to three weeks multiple times I did not take my cell. I relied on email to check in with family and had ATT calling card for any emergency call needs.

Domestic travel I usually take my cell phone with me, but I can readily see someone forgetting their cell. Especially if they are not a constant mobile device connected type person. Remember not everyone desires 24/7 connectivity. A few times I've left mine at home when I am out and about my everyday activities or sometimes left in auto overnight.

Has this person had their cell for a long time? I know each time I got a new one, it took me a while to remember to take it with me everywhere especially since I had ATT phone card always with me in my wallet for emergencies.

So, I can see this happening especially with someone middle aged and older. The tone of the way you are asking makes me think you feel that this is an excuse for not contacting or responding to you.

Someday we'll all have those personal communicators (or some variant maybe an implant) like on scifi movies so we can simply raise our hand to our ear and connect.

Old 01-01-2015, 10:46 PM

Haha this friend is 26 this year, and she's only left her phone at home a few times but again I think it's just BS haha.

Old 01-01-2015, 10:54 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times
I can see it happening. I've left many things in the rush of getting things together and heading out the door. Sometimes when I've realized that I left something, I'm already halfway to the airport and can't turn around without risking missing my flight. Even if I am on a road trip, if I'm more than an hour outside of my home-base, I'd have to think really hard about turning around to go back and get my phone (I almost always have my laptop/iPad, so being phoneless isn't such a big deal as long as I have internet connection at some point).

Old 01-02-2015, 12:32 AM

Haha yeah well this friend never called me like she said she would oh well. And I guess she did leave her phone but I don't know, she's the type of friend that talks to you when SHE WANTS TO type of thing so yeah haha.

Old 01-02-2015, 03:50 AM

3,352 posts, read 2,823,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I can see it happening. I've left many things in the rush of getting things together and heading out the door. Sometimes when I've realized that I left something, I'm already halfway to the airport and can't turn around without risking missing my flight. Even if I am on a road trip, if I'm more than an hour outside of my home-base, I'd have to think really hard about turning around to go back and get my phone (I almost always have my laptop/iPad, so being phoneless isn't such a big deal as long as I have internet connection at some point).
Totally agree..Last yr my husband left all his meds on the kitchen table... Just forgot to pack them...THAT was a real pain!!!!

Old 01-02-2015, 04:04 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disneygogetter View Post
I am not a traveler so I don't travel. But my friend recently went to Vegas for XMAS through New Years Eve, and supposedly she left her cell phone at home, and barely made it home today January 1st 2015. To me, I call this BS, really you really left your phone at home, something people usually carry with them 24/7.

A. Why do you even care?

B. Not all of us are obsessed with our phones. I can actually go hours without even being in the same room with it.
I know...horrifying to most people!!!!!

Old 01-02-2015, 04:10 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,950,527 times
Quote:
Haha yeah well this friend never called me like she said she would oh well. And I guess she did leave her phone but I don't know, she's the type of friend that talks to you when SHE WANTS TO type of thing so yeah haha.
She didn't want to talk to you haha!

Old 01-02-2015, 04:22 AM

61,691 posts, read 87,077,794 times
Quote:

Why does it bother you? Why are you calling it BS? Do you feel lost, or naked, or discombobulated without your phone?
Not everyone is attached to the phone 24/7. Not everyone carry it with them all the times.
You would be surprised to learn that there are people not addicted to it. Some people like to go out or travel without their phones. They want to enjoy themselves, be free, have a face-to-face conversation with people, be unreachable or need to be disconnected. Some like to be more than two feet away from a screen.

Old 01-02-2015, 04:55 AM

45,359 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linda814 View Post
Totally agree..Last yr my husband left all his meds on the kitchen table... Just forgot to pack them...THAT was a real pain!!!!
I've done that. Have also forgotten to pack clothing items or even a belt. Also my phone for short periods like overnight. I'm involved in things that require me to be pretty much available all the time so I try to be good with the phone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel