U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 01:07 PM

4,562 posts, read 4,090,588 times

Advertisements

TSA is a minor annoyance, mostly because the lines are full of anxious people who haven't allowed enough time to deal with long security lines and are in danger of missing their flight.

Give yourself plenty of time, and that will take care of the majority of the annoyances.

mpheels has good advice -- do NOT "dress up" for TSA! Leave jewelry in your purse and put it on after you go through security. Easy slip-on shoes. Avoid a belt, and make sure your pockets are empty (no lipstick, etc.).

Frankly, though, if you are going to be gone a month, just pay to check the bag -- you already have the free flight, buying all new clothes and paying to ship clothes back is CRAZY. Then you can pack as much as you want (keep it under 50 pounds, which is a large suitcase packed to the gills) and you don't have to worry about carry-on limitations for cosmetics -- you can bring full bottles of shampoo, etc. without worrying about TSA carry-on restrictions. Take a big suitcase, leave room for new purchases, and you'll be fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2015, 02:50 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,344,068 times
Great advice. .

Appreciate it..

Old 01-05-2015, 02:55 PM

12,265 posts, read 18,393,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shh1313 View Post
My best friend purchased a round trip ticket for me to visit her. .

Question wher do you purchase those see through bags for toiletries?

Since I'll be gone a month I'll purchase clothes when I get there and mail them back..

Will the airline allow a 30 ml of liquid make up?

Any tips appreciated. .
TIPS -
- DO NOT stand in front of the gate boarding entrance waiting for your row to be called and blocking others from boarding the plane. It's really irritating. We call these people "gate lice". Just stay seated.
- DO NOT bring your humoungous suitcase on board as "carry on" luggage. I know there are luggage charges, but really there is limited space on the plane, and all these people with their kitchen sinks delay the boarding process. Pack lightly as an alternative.
- DO NOT recline your seat unless a midget or small child is seated directly behind you.
- DO NOT expect food to be served, unless it's a long haul flight. Water and feed yourself before the flight accordingly.
- DO NOT overthink the TSA process. Yes it's a pain but not one to dwell over. For example - the "see through bags for toiletries" can simply be a grocery store sandwhich or frozen food baggy.

Old 01-05-2015, 03:11 PM

14,191 posts, read 6,419,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
TIPS -
- DO NOT stand in front of the gate boarding entrance waiting for your row to be called and blocking others from boarding the plane. It's really irritating. We call these people "gate lice". Just stay seated.
- DO NOT bring your humoungous suitcase on board as "carry on" luggage. I know there are luggage charges, but really there is limited space on the plane, and all these people with their kitchen sinks delay the boarding process. Pack lightly as an alternative.
- DO NOT recline your seat unless a midget or small child is seated directly behind you.
- DO NOT expect food to be served, unless it's a long haul flight. Water and feed yourself before the flight accordingly.
- DO NOT overthink the TSA process. Yes it's a pain but not one to dwell over. For example - the "see through bags for toiletries" can simply be a grocery store sandwhich or frozen food baggy.
Lol, I agree with all of this. Granted I don't fly often at all but when I do, I see nothing wrong with the security process. Not sure why so many people complain about it.

Old 01-05-2015, 03:30 PM

100 posts, read 98,957 times
I travel all the time for work and I've never had an issue getting through with my makeup. I usually pack my makeup in my checked bag in a cosmetic bag wrapped with clothes to protect it from bumps and I'm sure they throw luggage around. I've never had an issue. I've probably gotten away with too many gels and liquids.
I honestly leave my 3-1-1 quart bag inside my carry on and put my shoes and laptop through in the little buckets.

Old 01-05-2015, 07:48 PM

5,189 posts, read 13,347,698 times
A quart sized zip-lox bag is what you need....all of your liquids MUST fit into that bag. If you are carrying a container that is bigger than 3.4 oz...they will take it, so make sure all your little containers are 3.4 oz or smaller.

You can put ANY size liquids into a CHECKED bag.....you can put your cans of deodorant or hairspray, shampoo, etc, into your checked luggage.

Old 01-06-2015, 04:46 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,537 posts, read 39,914,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shh1313 View Post
My best friend purchased a round trip ticket for me to visit her. .

Any tips appreciated. .
I hope your friend got you a SWA ticket (free baggage, free changes, EZ / fast boarding, friendly staff).

I fly many times / month and many times / year in and out of TX. I have only been severely hassled by dishonest TSA in Denver and San Diego (frequently). Even the supervisors are thieves and support their thieving staff there. Just carry minimal stuff, and avoid confrontation with TSA (and don't act nervous or cocky).

I just use a ziplock baggy, but have never been checked (except DEN and SAN) where they will calculate volumes of liquids.

Get on a go and have a blast. (I luv flying, in spite of worthless USA TSA), Other countries have had excellent security for decades of terrorism, but the USA had to invent their own. They failed.

Old 01-06-2015, 05:20 AM

32,060 posts, read 32,956,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post

It is okay to recline your seat a little bit but definitely not fully back as there is simply no room for the person behind you.

Old 01-06-2015, 05:49 AM

6,322 posts, read 4,755,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
It is okay to recline your seat a little bit but definitely not fully back as there is simply no room for the person behind you.
Lol. They go back like a whole 2 inches.

Old 01-06-2015, 06:38 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,298,666 times
I quit flying after I retired from the military 24 years ago. Have traveled a lot since but nothing overseas.
Have driven oven 700,000 miles since then and enjoyed every mile... There's no place I need to be bad enough to fly again. They will not let you fly the damn plane and you never know where you are headed until you land somewhere.
Enjoy your flight...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel