U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 09:38 AM

15,504 posts, read 17,724,856 times

Advertisements

I am interested in history and geography so there is no country I wouldn't want to visit based on the something such as the country's politics. For this reason I would have no problem visiting countries like Iran, Cuba, Israel, or even North Korea.

The only thing that would keep me away from a country is a very high chance of risk to my personal safety such as being targeted for kidnapping, robbery, or even murder just because I am a foreigner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2015, 10:01 AM

13,104 posts, read 24,880,333 times
Personal safety, I also would not travel to a country that does not have an established diplomatic relationship with the US.

Old 01-06-2015, 10:10 AM

556 posts, read 761,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Personal safety, I also would not travel to a country that does not have an established diplomatic relationship with the US.
Same here. I accidentally posted to the Cuba thread, but lack of diplomatic relations is huge when ruling out travel destinations. I'm OK with unofficial relations, like what we currently have in Cuba, Bhutan, and Taiwan. If you get seriously ill or hurt, or need legal assistance (regardless of fault), it is incredibly important to have access to US State Department services (for a US citizen, of course). Fortunately, Iran and North Korea are the only places in the world that don't currently have official or reasonable unofficial diplomatic relations with the US.

Old 01-06-2015, 10:33 AM

6,773 posts, read 5,116,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpheels View Post
I'm OK with unofficial relations, like what we currently have in Cuba, Bhutan, and Taiwan.
Imagine how inconvenient it is for us to travel around, no "official relation" anywhere and even though they have constantly claimed that we're their precious part, Chinese fancy embassies won't answer if we Taiwanese are in need.

Countries that I have no intention of visiting:
a)I'm just not interested in them(China, SE Asia etc.)
b)There are countries where literally EVERY CORNER is dangerous, definitely not visiting those places, sorry.

Old 01-06-2015, 12:51 PM

1 posts, read 660 times
So the purpose of this thread is "to just find out from readers what kinds of reasons they harbor regarding travel to "bad" places."

I would first have to find out whose definition of "bad." For example, I would NEVER believe the U.S. State Department's warnings. Or the CDC's health warnings. I have lived in Costa Rica for over six years, and nothing the State Department or the CDC has said is true. I spent hundreds on recommended vaccines before coming. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY.

So I would turn to social media forums and listen to and talk with U.S./Canadian/European ex-pats who actually LIVE in those places. That would be accurate information, not political propoganda.

Old 01-06-2015, 01:39 PM

605 posts, read 466,826 times
The only countries I would avoid visiting entirely are those such as Yemen, Syria, Somalia, Liberia, Congo, or Afghanistan which have civil wars going on or are just recently recovering from armed conflicts and are still very unstable with non existent infrastructure such as roads and hospitals. So essentially that rules out much of the Middle East and Africa. That being said I have been to Colombia and even though they still have problems with drug gangs and armed guerrillas I felt perfectly safe walking around Bogota and Cartagena for example, since most of those groups have been pushed into isolated regions where tourists are unlikely to visit anyways.

Old 01-06-2015, 02:16 PM

834 posts, read 941,697 times
I would not refuse an all expenses paid trip to any country in the world. Of course that would include a security detail in war zones.

Aside Kashmir in Pakistan there's nothing on my list worthwhile seeing though. Nigeria I would completely avoid. And Venezuela I would avoid Caracas and any town with more than 1,000 people. The landscape, colonial towns, and beaches are stunning though.

Old 01-06-2015, 02:35 PM

2,125 posts, read 2,909,737 times
Since I'm a foodie, my main reason for eliminating a country from my to-go list is whether or not they have the type of food that I like. For that reason, Germany is out since I find their food bland. I'm sure the country is beautiful, etc, etc, but I will take other people's word for it. I'd much rather go to India than Germany.

Another reason is blatant discrimination. I'm of Asian descent so certain countries who are known to treat Asians poorly will not be on my list. For this reason, I have no desire to revisit Australia. I hope they treat their Asians better now but when I lived there 16 years ago, Asians were generally treated like second class citizens, much like the US treats their blacks.

Third reason is safety. Because of this I have no desire to visit Arab countries or certain African countries because as a woman who often travels alone, those places are just not something I feel comfortable visiting.

I do make a distinction between Arab / middle eastern countries and other non-Arab countries that are predominantly muslim (countries such as Indonesia, Malaysia, Brunei, Sri Lanka, etc). Not all muslim countries are the same, and how a muslim country applies their belief is influenced by said country's local culture. I will revisit Indonesia, Malaysia, etc in a heartbeat and will go there alone without compunction. I will avoid Arab countries for now. Maybe if I go with a group or someone local, but definitely not alone.

Old 01-06-2015, 03:13 PM

10,422 posts, read 12,412,038 times
Too...
Dangerous, Poor/Dirty, Religious (Restricted)

Old 01-06-2015, 05:22 PM

11,262 posts, read 8,421,299 times
No thank you. Safety reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel