U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 05:24 PM

318 posts, read 645,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramercy View Post
The only "bad" countries I wouldn't visit are ones where I feel my personal safety would be at risk, like kidnapping or a high risk of being sexually assaulted. I have no problems visiting a country where their politics or philosophy are vastly different, but I value my personal health and safety.

Agreed. Out of the three countries mentioned, I might consider Venezuela one day, but Nigeria and Pakistan? No way. Would be afraid for my life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2015, 06:50 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,846,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Suppose you had an opportunity to visit, say, Venezuela or Nigeria or Pakistan. Be specific -- exactly what are your reasons for not wanting to go? what are you afraid of, that might happen to you if you spent a couple of weeks visiting there?

Are your reasons political, or economic, or philosophical, or do you actually fear that you might come to some harm? Or that people will be inhospitable? Or that your time will be wasted if not spent at a beach or resort or museum? Is learning about a new place not one of your reasons for traveling? Do you trust the media to tell you about those places and then consider yourself already knowledgeable?

Imagine that you are in such a place as a tourist or visitor today -- what do you think your day would be like?

The purpose of this thread is not so much to discuss the pros and cons of such reasons, but to just find out from readers what kinds of reasons they harbor regarding travel to "bad" places. So explain your motives, but don't be argumentative or comment on other people's reasons, please.
Years ago I visited some "bad" countries in Africa, and also a few years after that, Guatemala.

Prior to visiting I'd maybe be more worried about danger, etc. However, now I would be more worried about it simply being boring. That was what surprised me. Many of these dangerous places are just kind of dull on a day to day basis. The other main thing I didn't like was that it gets irritating being constantly asked for money and getting targeted for rip off schemes.

Old 01-06-2015, 09:43 PM

3,289 posts, read 3,162,578 times
I only have so much time and money to spend on travel, so I use my available resources wisely, choose not to travel to places where I will be unsafe, constantly uncomfortable, or might not come back from. I'd also prefer not to support regimes that oppress their citizens.

I've spent weeks in southeast Asia, and I agree that the heat and humidity are oppressive. Some discomfort is worth it for a country with wonderful food and history and sights, but there's just not enough different about Cambodia to make it worth the risk to choose that country over it's neighbors.

Given my preferences in tourism, food, and climate, I'll never visit India nor Pakistan.

Old 01-07-2015, 12:21 AM

451 posts, read 386,980 times
This question is easy to answer. I haven't visited all 50 of our states yet! And there are so many places that I have visited that were so much fun I want to do it again! I've only left the country once and that was to go to Puerto Rico. (That's not exactly leaving the country, but you know what I mean).

Old 01-07-2015, 03:44 AM

1,231 posts, read 1,059,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWEvergreen View Post
This question is easy to answer. I haven't visited all 50 of our states yet! And there are so many places that I have visited that were so much fun I want to do it again! I've only left the country once and that was to go to Puerto Rico. (That's not exactly leaving the country, but you know what I mean).
On a side note, how did you like Puerto Rico? I'm planning to visit there and even considered relocating some years in the future (given I like the visits). What did you think about it? Is it costly? Too hot? Muggy? Filled with thugs, bugs or drugs?

Or.. relatively decent?

Old 01-07-2015, 06:44 AM

35,324 posts, read 25,365,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
I only have so much time and money to spend on travel, so I use my available resources wisely, choose not to travel to places where I will be unsafe, constantly uncomfortable, or might not come back from. I'd also prefer not to support regimes that oppress their citizens.

I've spent weeks in southeast Asia, and I agree that the heat and humidity are oppressive. Some discomfort is worth it for a country with wonderful food and history and sights, but there's just not enough different about Cambodia to make it worth the risk to choose that country over it's neighbors.

Given my preferences in tourism, food, and climate, I'll never visit India nor Pakistan.

Huh, having spent weeks there, I can't say that. The history, especially Ankgor Wat. It is why I chose Cambodia over its neighbors (I've since been to some of the neighbors) and its in no way dangerous, unless you plan on hiking off trail in areas that may have no been cleared by mines. The recent history of the Khmer Rouge is also fascinating, though I'm more into ancient history than recent.

What surprised me the most was the unbridled capitalism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzzz View Post
Years ago I visited some "bad" countries in Africa, and also a few years after that, Guatemala.
My brother lived and worked in Chad and the CAR in the 90s. I totally regret not visiting him. Never sounded boring there (but you might be referring to other places), but we may have other interests.

Old 01-07-2015, 07:40 AM

14,755 posts, read 8,575,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Suppose you had an opportunity to visit, say, Venezuela or Nigeria or Pakistan. Be specific -- exactly what are your reasons for not wanting to go? what are you afraid of, that might happen to you if you spent a couple of weeks visiting there?

Are your reasons political, or economic, or philosophical, or do you actually fear that you might come to some harm? Or that people will be inhospitable? Or that your time will be wasted if not spent at a beach or resort or museum? Is learning about a new place not one of your reasons for traveling? Do you trust the media to tell you about those places and then consider yourself already knowledgeable?

Imagine that you are in such a place as a tourist or visitor today -- what do you think your day would be like?

The purpose of this thread is not so much to discuss the pros and cons of such reasons, but to just find out from readers what kinds of reasons they harbor regarding travel to "bad" places. So explain your motives, but don't be argumentative or comment on other people's reasons, please.

This thread reminds me of the thread vision33r started about the Japanese woman who was gang raped in India. Someone (who shall remain nameless LOL) asked something to the effect of what is the purpose of going to India regardless of whether gang rapes were occuring or not. My response is below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
Even if that wasn't happening, why would anyone want to go there?[India]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Typical American ethnocentric response. How about the beauty many areas of India offers? How about curiosity? Or enjoying learning about another culture? My father is from India, and someday, when I can afford it, I will go there and explore my roots. Crime happens in all areas of the world, including your very own home.
I do agree with what someone said that going to a place that is actively involved in a military conflict would be a bad idea. And there are many places I would like to go that I just can't afford to go (including the country where my dad is from, India). Countries I'm not interested in also qualify, but there are few of those, as I have traveled many areas of the world, seeking information and knowledge about worldviews other than my own. Although I have not always had good experiences, I try to keep an open mind, and I think we can always learn something from other people.

Old 01-07-2015, 07:52 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,479,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
Third reason is safety. Because of this I have no desire to visit Arab countries or certain African countries because as a woman who often travels alone, those places are just not something I feel comfortable visiting.

I do make a distinction between Arab / middle eastern countries and other non-Arab countries that are predominantly muslim (countries such as Indonesia, Malaysia, Brunei, Sri Lanka, etc). Not all muslim countries are the same, and how a muslim country applies their belief is influenced by said country's local culture. I will revisit Indonesia, Malaysia, etc in a heartbeat and will go there alone without compunction. I will avoid Arab countries for now. Maybe if I go with a group or someone local, but definitely not alone.
If you have an interest in visiting the Middle East, I can highly suggest United Arab Emirates, specifically Dubai, and Muscat, Oman. I recently went with another female friend of mine and we had an amazing time! On a few occasions, we went our separate ways and were alone in Dubai, and both felt totally safe, whether walking the streets through the business or residential sections, or traveling the metro or by cab. We had more people than we could count tell us that a woman is safe there, alone, day or night. I can totally agree. I felt WAY more safe in Dubai than I do in downtown Austin, Texas!

Old 01-07-2015, 03:55 PM

29,582 posts, read 16,576,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramercy View Post
The only "bad" countries I wouldn't visit are ones where I feel my personal safety would be at risk, like kidnapping or a high risk of being sexually assaulted. I have no problems visiting a country where their politics or philosophy are vastly different, but I value my personal health and safety.
I agree. I've only been to 37 countries which means I have more than 150 more to choose from and most of them don't have significant safety issues. So why choose countries that put you at risk?

Old 01-07-2015, 05:28 PM

3,565 posts, read 1,888,695 times
My "no-go" list is basically active war zones, active epidemics, and North Korea (for the recent imprisonments and the decidedly undesirable requirement that the NK government basically stage manages all tourist vacations there).

I'd love to visit Yankari National Park and the Osun-Osogbo Sacred Grove in Nigeria, the Venezuelan Andes and rainforests, and in Pakistan: the Himalayan region, Pakistani Kashmir, Taxila, Lahore, Hunza Valley, Sukkur, Thatta, Moenjodaro. I'd also love to visit Khyber, but not now--it falls under the active war zone exception.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel