Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2015, 06:17 PM

382 posts, read 862,440 times

Advertisements

For all you travelers driving in Virginia this spring and summer there are new rules and tolls on I-95 in Northern Virginia. If you use the H.O.V. lanes prepare for a shock, they don't really exist any more. From I-495 (Capitol Beltway) South all the way until the new end near Quantico Marine Base they are now called HOT Lanes. Yes, the lanes have been extended a few more miles.

The basics: The tolls are in effect 24/7 IN THOSE LANES ONLY and change amounts based on the amount of traffic. If you have 3 or more people in your car you MUST HAVE EZPass Flex activated to use them for free, if not activated you still pay. You can use a regular EZPass to pay or they will mail you a bill if you use the lanes w/o one. There are no toll booths, just cameras and computers to bill you.

Again, this only applies to the old HOV lanes in the center of the highway, the regular through lanes are NOT tolled. Check VDOT's website for more info and be careful, you just might get a surprise bill this summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2015, 08:10 AM

26,585 posts, read 61,854,793 times
No different than in South Florida near Miami. I also saw this someplace else in my travels last year, but I can't recall where--possibly California?

Old 01-08-2015, 10:09 AM

2,218 posts, read 4,352,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
No different than in South Florida near Miami. I also saw this someplace else in my travels last year, but I can't recall where--possibly California?
We have them on I-85 northeast of Atlanta. Long time commuters hate them because they took a 2+ HOV lane and turned it in to a HOT lane that's only free with 3+.

Old 01-10-2015, 07:25 PM

12,999 posts, read 18,815,662 times
That is a national trend. The HOV lanes were underutilized and many commuters wanted the privilege to drive them for a fee.

Old 01-11-2015, 08:40 AM

11,154 posts, read 15,927,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I don't believe that's true. We have express toll lanes on I-95 in Miami, but we don't have any HOT lanes that I'm aware of. And in the Ft. Lauderdale area, there is an HOV lane on I-95, but there's no toll.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel