U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-13-2015, 07:54 AM
 
Location: New Bedford, MA
4 posts, read 2,753 times
Reputation: 12

Advertisements

Hey everyone! So, I am in desperate need of assistance. After graduation I plan to move to West Virginia from Massachusetts for college, and I have many questions.

First, how would I go about the job situation? As of right now I work at Subway, and I don't know how I would be able to find a job in West Virginia without having to drive down there for an interview or something until absolutely necessary. Do you guys have any tips?

Second, how would I go about buying an apartment and a mover? I don't plan on living on campus. My boyfriend is coming with me, and has lived on his own for a while. Since I haven't, I will go to him for some advice, but I don't want to go into it completely blind and without the guidance of someone who has moved out-of-state before, so any information would be very helpful. I'm working on a permit/license because I don't have one yet, and so driving down there would be kinda tough for the initial walk through.

Third, what's the best way to save up some money for the move, and how would you budget for it? I'm good at budgeting. In fact, I strangely love doing it. However, I wouldn't know how to do it for a move, and I don't really have the best money-saving skills, so I need to find a way to do so efficiently without having to go through my bank (if I do have to go through one I can't break up the money into categories like I need to, that's why I'm opting out of the whole savings-account thing).

That's pretty much it aside from setting up utilities before arriving and when I should do that by. Besides those four things, I've pretty much got all the small things under wraps, but any other tips or information is greatly appreciated, trust me. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-13-2015, 08:31 AM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,583,712 times
Reputation: 13019
Until you have a license and a car, don't even consider it.

I would ask your boss to call the local Subway franchisee in the town you are moving to ask put in a good word for you. If you are a good employee, I can't imagine they would refuse this request, and it might lead to a job without even being interviewed.

Are your bringing furniture and such? If so you'll have to budget for a truck or trailer. If not, just gas for the car. If you tow a trailer, deduct 50% of your fuel economy. A truck will get approximately 6mpg, don't let them tell you otherwise--they all lie. You will also need first and last months rent, deposits for your utilities, car registration and tag money, and I'd budget for a few nights in hotels.

My true advice to you is simple.

Leave the boyfriend in MA until you get settled and know the area and have a job. Live in the dorms the first year. You are putting far too many major life changes on yourself all at once, and I see nothing but disaster ahead at this point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2015, 09:24 AM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
13,343 posts, read 17,402,276 times
Reputation: 19654
1- for retail jobs, wait until you've relocated, then apply and go to interviews.
2- how much stuff do you have? weigh the cost of moving it versus just buying when you've moved or simply do without. Most college students move themselves.
3- the best way to save money is to not spend it. Have your paycheck direct deposited into your savings account and cut up your ATM and credit cards.
4- You say you're good at budgeting but "can't break up the money into categories like I need to" ... well, that's budgeting.
In your situation, simply save as much as you possibly can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2015, 09:49 AM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,583,712 times
Reputation: 13019
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
1- for retail jobs, wait until you've relocated, then apply and go to interviews.
2- how much stuff do you have? weigh the cost of moving it versus just buying when you've moved or simply do without. Most college students move themselves.
3- the best way to save money is to not spend it. Have your paycheck direct deposited into your savings account and cut up your ATM and credit cards.
4- You say you're good at budgeting but "can't break up the money into categories like I need to" ... well, that's budgeting.
In your situation, simply save as much as you possibly can.
That's got to be some of the stupidest advice I've ever heard. Just because a RESPONSIBLE person has ATM and credit cards, it doesn't mean they go on a spending spree with them. Perhaps YOU have poor money management skills, but there is nothing in the OP's post to indicate they do. Particularly with a long distance move, doing so without a credit card will be difficult and more costly. Having established credit makes life much easier and will save money. Unless you are irresponsible, in which case you will probably be poor forever, even if you makes six figures a year.

PS--I do agree with direct deposit. It saves time. I don't agree with putting it directly into a savings account. Have it deposited into checking and move your budgeted savings amount into savings each month when you go online to pay your bills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2015, 01:15 PM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
13,343 posts, read 17,402,276 times
Reputation: 19654
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
That's got to be some of the stupidest advice I've ever heard. Just because a RESPONSIBLE person has ATM and credit cards, it doesn't mean they go on a spending spree with them. Perhaps YOU have poor money management skills, but there is nothing in the OP's post to indicate they do. Particularly with a long distance move, doing so without a credit card will be difficult and more costly. Having established credit makes life much easier and will save money. Unless you are irresponsible, in which case you will probably be poor forever, even if you makes six figures a year.

PS--I do agree with direct deposit. It saves time. I don't agree with putting it directly into a savings account. Have it deposited into checking and move your budgeted savings amount into savings each month when you go online to pay your bills.

Ummm ... hyperventilate much? OP doesn't even think she needs a savings account and admits she doesn't have good money management skills. Reading is fundamental.

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliemaraccini
Third, what's the best way to save up some money for the move, and how would you budget for it? I'm good at budgeting. In fact, I strangely love doing it. However, I wouldn't know how to do it for a move, and I don't really have the best money-saving skills, so I need to find a way to do so efficiently without having to go through my bank (if I do have to go through one I can't break up the money into categories like I need to, that's why I'm opting out of the whole savings-account thing).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2015, 01:20 PM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,583,712 times
Reputation: 13019
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Ummm ... hyperventilate much? OP doesn't even think she needs a savings account and admits she doesn't have good money management skills. Reading is fundamental.
over spending and not understanding how to budget are two very different animals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2015, 01:21 PM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,583,712 times
Reputation: 13019
Make a list of your current monthly expenses. Make a list of the things you need to pay for to move. Determine the number of months between now and when you plan to move. Divide the amount you need to move by the number of months. That is the amount you need to save. Put that on the list of monthly expenses and put it into a savings account every month. The end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2015, 01:32 PM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
13,343 posts, read 17,402,276 times
Reputation: 19654
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
over spending and not understanding how to budget are two very different animals.

Again ... who said anything about over-spending? Reading is fundamental.

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliemaraccini
Third, what's the best way to save up some money for the move, and how would you budget for it? I'm good at budgeting. In fact, I strangely love doing it. However, I wouldn't know how to do it for a move, and I don't really have the best money-saving skills, so I need to find a way to do so efficiently without having to go through my bank (if I do have to go through one I can't break up the money into categories like I need to, that's why I'm opting out of the whole savings-account thing).
http://www.forbes.com/sites/nancyand...eeds-to-learn/

Last edited by jaypee; 01-13-2015 at 01:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2015, 01:48 PM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,583,712 times
Reputation: 13019
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Again ... who said anything about over-spending? Reading is fundamental.
Then give me a single reason she shouldn't have an ATM or credit card.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2015, 02:14 PM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
13,343 posts, read 17,402,276 times
Reputation: 19654
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Then give me a single reason she shouldn't have an ATM or credit card.

Well, from her post she admits to

- not knowing how to budget
- not having the best money-savings skills
- opting out of a savings account
- wanting to save up money for an important event

You really should try reading.

This thread is also mis-categorized ... should be in Personal Finance or something.

Last edited by jaypee; 01-13-2015 at 02:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top