U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 01:56 PM

9,678 posts, read 15,855,639 times

Advertisements

There you go.....$1000/day to wallow in tourist traps! Been there, done that.....there's nothing there I want to see again that bad! To each his own, guess you have to experience it at least once to know you haven't missed anything, except bragging rights!

Really, you can have a better experience via Google, and avoid the hassle! I've known of many people who have come back from such trips in such a state of exhaustion they had to be hospitalized, including my parents. I had to put them in the hospital to keep them from killing each other!

Instead, go to Epcot and get a day pass "around the world" or, go to Las Vegas, and try the Paris, that place with the gondolas, you get the idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2015, 02:01 PM

7,680 posts, read 16,095,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAtoFL View Post
Love Wagamama and pizza express!
I figured we had an acceptably authentic London experience when we found ourselves getting evacuated off the Tube because of a tripped fire alarm, and then decided to decamp to a Pizza Express across from the Tube station and watch the fire truck crews decide it was a false alarm.

Old 01-15-2015, 02:23 PM

2,935 posts, read 4,765,000 times
I would prolly budget US$2500-3000 for a 10 day trip to those places

Old 01-15-2015, 02:26 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,255,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Investor View Post
Check the website for Comfort Inn or Best Western and see what places in the historic areas of Paris cost in the summer. About $300 a night for a place that would cost $80 in Memphis TN.

Try booking.com. A 250sq feet studio apartment for two near the Pantheon or L'Opera costs $90 to $140 a night. Mid June. I am sure they are comparable to Comfort Inn.

Under $150 a night, there are at least 30 decent hotels/apartment suites to choose from in central Paris.

For $200 a night, you have 100 options, many are 500sf very nice apartment suites in prime locations.

Are these all not good enough for this middle class couple?

Old 01-15-2015, 02:34 PM

2,935 posts, read 4,765,000 times
Best Western and Comfort Inn are bottom tier brands in the US. Anything is better than them. Anyone who goes to those two websites to book hotels for international travel is doing it wrong.

Old 01-15-2015, 02:41 PM

12,267 posts, read 18,397,848 times
Quote:
Check the website for Comfort Inn or Best Western and see what places in the historic areas of Paris cost in the summer. About $300 a night for a place that would cost $80 in Memphis TN.
Those are "rack rates"....do you pay list prices for a car? Only businessmen who are stuck with certain schedules and places, or fools, pay that.
By the way on my vacations to Europe I make a priority of staying in the middle of all the action downtown. I enjoy it, I pay for that convenience... but still, I search for deals.

Old 01-15-2015, 02:44 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,255,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
Best Western and Comfort Inn are bottom tier brands in the US. Anything is better than them. Anyone who goes to those two websites to book hotels for international travel is doing it wrong.
It is moronic that someone has to stick with familiar American hotels chains when there are 1000 local hotels/B&Bs/apartment to choose from. He might stick to Starbucks coffee each and every day in France and Italy too.

Who in the world when searching for hotels go straight to Comfort Inn or best Western's website, instead of using booking.com, expedia etc?

Paris is not an expensive city. If one pays $300 a night for a Best Western, he is just stupid.

Old 01-15-2015, 02:56 PM

7,680 posts, read 16,095,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
Best Western actually has some really nice properties in Europe. Back in the pre-internet days, it was a good option for hotel owners who wanted their properties to have access to a global reservations and marketing program without turning into cookie cutter parts of the Accor borg.

You have to be careful with Booking and the like because they don't always include VAT in their quotes, so you need to make sure you're comparing like to like.

Old 01-15-2015, 02:58 PM

13,343 posts, read 17,399,181 times
Quote:

Well, summer is peak season in Europe ... you said your friends just returned from their trip.
Looking up the Best Western Ducs de Bourgogne (1 block from Notre Dame) for 10 nights the first week of Feb give a price of 1200Euros or almost $1400 and includes free breakfast! You can probably get a lower price from Expedia/Hotwire/Priceline.

Old 01-15-2015, 03:00 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,901,398 times
Quote:
A couple I know just returned from their first trip to Europe visiting France and Italy. After talking about how great of time they had, the conversation turned to how much money they spent. They insisted they traveled moderately and did not splurge at all, but the total cost for the ten day trip was about $10,000.

$3000 for Airfare ($1500 a piece)
$2500 for Hotel ($250 a night average at Comfort Inn quality spots)
$2000 for Food (An average of $30 for breakfast and lunch and $70 for dinner per person for ten days)
$1000 tours and attractions
$1500 for trains and buses and inter Europe (Paris, Venice, Florence and Rome)

TOTAL $10,000

Is this a logical number for a nice trip to Europe for a couple?
you need to check that airfare. My wifes sister just got back. They checked and airlines waned 1500 from Houston direct flight. they booked thru a service on line for 3000 total for both around trip on same flights.They said that trains even traveling a 100 miles was high cost everywhere as you state. You will be better booking a tour with all included if you just want to see the sites. you can stay at much better hotels and eat at better restaurants at my much lower cost. The best tours stay and eat at much higher rated places than your list. It would easily cost double to equal it all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or