U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 11:20 AM

729 posts, read 1,255,064 times

Advertisements

Every time we travel to Europe, I end up with a head cold. It really ticks me off. I'm healthy for the first day or two then it's all snotty nose and kleenex and a slight fever. I still push on and enjoy my vacations but geez, it sure would be nice to be healthy for once when we travel!

The two months leading up to the trip I up my Vit C intake. I'm typically a healthy and fit person as it is and rarely get sick - except when traveling oversees. Does anyone have any successful methods to avoiding head colds when traveling?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2015, 11:32 AM

2,143 posts, read 3,639,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by young92 View Post
Every time we travel to Europe, I end up with a head cold. It really ticks me off. I'm healthy for the first day or two then it's all snotty nose and kleenex and a slight fever. I still push on and enjoy my vacations but geez, it sure would be nice to be healthy for once when we travel!

The two months leading up to the trip I up my Vit C intake. I'm typically a healthy and fit person as it is and rarely get sick - except when traveling oversees. Does anyone have any successful methods to avoiding head colds when traveling?
Staying hydrated, washing your hands regularly and taking vitamins.

Old 01-16-2015, 01:41 PM

3,160 posts, read 8,209,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DomRep View Post
Staying hydrated, washing your hands regularly and taking vitamins.
Agreed. Planes are filthy so don't put anything near your eyes, lips or nose without either first washing your hands or wiping them with a sanitizer or something similar (I never use hand sanitizer...except when flying). I can assure you, those tray tables, chair fabric, and arm rests have not been properly cleaned between most flights!

I fly often and the way I stay healthy is acting like a germaphobe from the second I enter the airport to catch my flight until the second I can wash my hands and leave the airport when I arrive at my destination.

Old 01-17-2015, 09:43 AM

26,590 posts, read 55,498,222 times
Wash your hands faithfully, every chance you get--even if it's only to rinse at a water fountain.

On the plane keep your face away from your hands, and any pillows or blankets provided by the carrier unless you are in first where everything is cleaned between each passenger and provided in a plastic wrap. Wash hands before eating always, especially on planes and trains. Use a paper towel to open the lav door and take it back to your seat with you to open the tray table.

Keep your sinuses and nose hydrated. Use a moisturizing nasal spray. Moist sinuses and nasal cavities keep germs at bay. Dry ones offer easy access to germs to get into your body.

If you need to touch your eyes, use a clean tissue over your fingers.

I agree with the poster above about hand sanitizer. I use it for three things only.

1. I am force to use a Portolet with no handwashing facilities
2. I am at a trade show and shaking hands with hundreds of people every day--I use sanitizer every half hour or so because I simply can't run to wash that often.
3. When I travel where I am in areas with a lot of "new" germs that my body might not have resistance to such as in foreign countries and on airplanes.

Old 01-17-2015, 11:58 AM

1,774 posts, read 3,260,469 times
We take a small package of clorox wipes and wipe down the plane arm rests, tray table, seat belt buckle, headrest and anything else that's deemed touch-worthy. Some people roll their eyes, others have asked to use it when we're done.

Old 01-17-2015, 12:09 PM

3,276 posts, read 3,850,923 times
Used to be the same for me. It's because of being in close contact with hundreds or thousands of people in confined spaces like trains, buses and subway stations. I noticed a drop in my frequency of falling ill when I began taking 8x the recommended dose of Vitamin C, every day of the trip. I know that the link between Vit. C and colds has not been proven but my anecdotal experience does suggest a link. The other important factor is sleep. Make sure you are well-rested every day.
My favorite is a raspberry-flavored Acerola cherry-based vitamin C pill, available in European pharmacies.

Old 01-19-2015, 09:48 AM

33,090 posts, read 34,026,301 times
Drink plenty of water and wash your hands with soap and water as often as necessary!

Old 01-19-2015, 10:27 AM

29,818 posts, read 17,025,127 times
As others have said, hand washing is important. I also avoid late nights to ensure I'm well rested. So far, I've never had a problem with health issues.

Old 01-19-2015, 05:57 PM

5,574 posts, read 5,994,959 times
I've actually found that Vitamin D positively affects my immune system much better than Vitamin C. But not just taking for a few days ... Longer term maintenance of Vitamin D levels has really helped me stay healthy.

Old 01-20-2015, 01:32 PM

3,160 posts, read 8,209,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
I've actually found that Vitamin D positively affects my immune system much better than Vitamin C. But not just taking for a few days ... Longer term maintenance of Vitamin D levels has really helped me stay healthy.
There is a lot of medical literature that agrees with you! Vitamin D deficiency has been linked with increased susceptibility to colds and viruses (weakened immune system response). Funny enough, people gulp down Vitamin C but there is little scientific proof that it does anything for colds!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel