U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 06:13 PM

3,280 posts, read 3,830,230 times

Advertisements

No doubt air travel has gotten less high-class in the last 30 years, but it's gotten a heck of a lot cheaper (adjusted for infln) so it's a trade off.

I don't really mind it. It's one of the few opportunities I have to read a book cover to cover in one sitting. Not to mention looking out the airport windows is mesmerizing.

I'm 5'11 so I'm ok in economy class. Not great, but still comfortable enough.

I do not enjoy air travel on Southwest Airlines though, because the line for EVERYTHING is 10000 miles long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2015, 06:20 PM

6,545 posts, read 3,653,233 times
Commercial air travel is the most dehumanizing experience there is for travel. They have a lot of nerve charging us for the joy of standing in line two or three times for 45 minutes, getting squished into small seat, getting banged on the head by folks too weak to lift their oversized carry-on up to the overhead bin, being cheerfully served a lunch of a bag of peanuts, being seated next to people who are generally uncivil or too pissed off to carry on a conversation of more than two words, being told you have to change planes at the stop-over when your ticket is for a straight through flight, and being delayed by a late arrival. I think cattle on the way to the stockyards have a better trip...if only because it's one way.

Old 01-18-2015, 07:25 PM

8,930 posts, read 8,394,310 times
Air travel is a necessary evil.

It is the best method for traveling significant distances, but the traveling is not exactly pleasant. First class makes it better, but I still don't find it to be an enjoyable way to spend 6 hours.

Old 01-18-2015, 08:18 PM

2,847 posts, read 1,814,069 times
Domestic flights are pretty easy. Overseas are another story. Europe isn't bad, but flying to Asia can be really draining. A year ago flew 12 hours from Dulles to Tokyo, then another 7 to Singapore which was a bit much. However, it's always worth it once I get there.

Old 01-18-2015, 10:04 PM

4,562 posts, read 4,090,588 times
Used to love flying, but these days, I swear to God, a bus can be far more comfortable and faster for shorter distances. When you figure that you have to allow at least at hour before your flight, flight delays and waiting for luggage, a two hour flight turns into 4-5 hours. Not to mention the never-ending struggle of carry-on luggage vs. checked luggage. Ugh. I've gotten so I'll even check the Amtrak schedule -- unfortunately it's rarely running where I want to go at a time near when I want to go, but the times I've taken it, it was rather nice -- lots of leg room, basic security, room to move, free wi-fi, etc.

Lived in China one summer, and oh, boy, they have the trains down pat (of course, it's easier when the government owns all the land . . . :-) ) LOVED the bullet train from Shanghai to Bejing -- 750 mile trip would have been 13 hours by car, 2 hours by plane + check-in, security and luggage -- and was only 5-1/2 hours by the bullet train, with very comfortable seats. The MagLev from Shanghai to Pudong Airport was amazing, too -- 19 miles in 6 minutes. You had absolutely no sense of booming along at over 200 mph. You don't even have a seat-belt.

I always said that if I ever win one of those major windfall lotteries (the nine-digit ones :-) ), I'd buy nto a share of a G6 and never have to worry about TSA again.

Old 01-19-2015, 01:26 AM

6,773 posts, read 5,116,323 times
I hate flying. It makes me nervous.

Old 01-19-2015, 06:41 AM

11,262 posts, read 8,417,691 times
I don't enjoy flying but I enjoy not having to drive.

Old 01-19-2015, 08:18 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,571,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Commercial air travel is the most dehumanizing experience there is for travel. They have a lot of nerve charging us for the joy of standing in line two or three times for 45 minutes, getting squished into small seat, getting banged on the head by folks too weak to lift their oversized carry-on up to the overhead bin, being cheerfully served a lunch of a bag of peanuts, being seated next to people who are generally uncivil or too pissed off to carry on a conversation of more than two words, being told you have to change planes at the stop-over when your ticket is for a straight through flight, and being delayed by a late arrival. I think cattle on the way to the stockyards have a better trip...if only because it's one way.
I'm not sure how you stand in so many lines for so long. I typically travel carry on only, print my BP at home (or hotel), stand in line for security for between one and 15 minutes, and then get in line for a minute when they call my boarding zone.

As far as lunch, you are welcome to bring your own. I don't understand the need to be served a cafeteria style meal on a two hour flight. Even as a F passenger I often bring my own meal.

By the way, I don't usually care to carry on conversation with strangers on a plane. I am usually busy working, studying, or sleeping, all three of which are far more important to me than having random chit chat with someone who just happens to be seated next to me by luck of the draw. Fortunately I'm good at saying hello and then putting on my headphones. Unless you have the winning lottery numbers or are George Clooney, I see no reason to carry on idle conversation. I think it's far ruder to try to carry on a conversation with someone who is obviously not interested in speaking to you than to ignore the person who insists on rambling on.

Old 01-19-2015, 08:45 AM

32,060 posts, read 32,956,580 times
I like flying in general but commercial flying is becoming less enjoyable as the years go by.

Old 01-19-2015, 01:38 PM

2,267 posts, read 2,465,000 times
Takeoff and landing I kind of like. If you have a good view out the window and are flying over somewhere interesting it is cool. Stuck sqished bwtween to people hardly able to move for 8 to 12 hours sucks. Flying in small/private planes is great.

On the other hand if you consider how travel was in the pre airplane times it is at the worst not so bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or