U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-19-2015, 07:49 PM
 
Location: Maui, Hawaii
679 posts, read 620,651 times
Reputation: 1357

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Is plane travel your favorite way to reach long-distance locations? Do you think flying has become better or worse over the years?
No it is Not enjoyable for me now but back in the 1970's when I first started flying it was much nicer with more comfortable seats, free meals, friendly service and no pat downs, removing shoes, etc.

Flying used to be fun, now it is more of a necessary evil!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-19-2015, 07:51 PM
 
580 posts, read 608,130 times
Reputation: 740
Like flying, because we are going on a trip.

TSA Precheck helps quite a bit.

Overseas flights, business class helps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2015, 08:26 PM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,719,544 times
Reputation: 13024
Back in the 70's when I took my first flight the food was awful, the seats were barely padded, and the smoke from cigarettes was overpowering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2015, 09:42 PM
 
Location: Niceville, FL
7,703 posts, read 16,160,716 times
Reputation: 7736
I flew, I think, twice before deregulation. Back then, you had to get government approval for different routes, and it wasn't a given. IIRC, getting from my parents home in Michigan to Disneyplanet was something like a Grand Rapids-Lansing-Detroit-Cincinnati-Atlanta-Orlando routing on Republic.

The stewardesses then could manage a full beverage service on a flight that was about 20 minutes from wheels up to wheels down. I suspect my seven year old self was very well caffinated by the time we finally made it to Orlando. Later trips post-deregulation were often on Piedmont and were a one stop connection in Dayton, Ohio.

I still like flying despite the inconveniences. I love airports large and small. There is a magic to looking out the windows there and seeing all the different liveries of airlines heading out to so many different places in country and world I love the departure monitors showing what seems to be an infinite number of possibilities, though I wish that more than a handful of airports still had an old school Solari board rattling along as it flipped from listing to listing. (Hey, it's a steampunk sort of device, and steampunk is in, so someone should go for a new one as a sort of art display) I love people-watching at airports. The new crossroads of humanity is either on the Tube ride between Terminal 2 and 4 at London Heathrow or the Atlanta Plane Train between Terminals B and D. And there is a beauty to watching the dance of the airplanes small and large taking off and landing in quick, strict rhythm during peak hours at the high volume airports.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2015, 05:47 AM
 
5,823 posts, read 10,182,557 times
Reputation: 4537
I liked flying before Mr O'Leahy and his ilk ruined the experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2015, 07:09 AM
 
2,043 posts, read 2,440,577 times
Reputation: 2100
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeable View Post
Like flying, because we are going on a trip.

TSA Precheck helps quite a bit.

Overseas flights, business class helps
You're right about the TSA precheck, much better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2015, 08:09 AM
 
Location: Taipei
6,795 posts, read 5,159,116 times
Reputation: 4602
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
How can you travel without taking the plane?
You can't, so I always bring sleeping pills with me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2015, 09:38 AM
 
5,006 posts, read 7,347,948 times
Reputation: 8028
It's definitely gotten worse.
The whole experience is a borderline nightmare.

From the long lines and the hoards and masses laying all over the airport floor, to the gross bathrooms and the what seems like constant delays and just poor customer service in general. It's awful. I loathe flying...and not because im afraid to fly, rather I hate the whole charade of physically getting on the plane....the security line alone makes me wanna go cray.

U stand in line...and wait...and wait and wait and finally some slack-jawed, half brain-dead individual takes ur ID and ticket out of ur hand, looks u in the face, looks at ur id and then writes some BS on ur ticket...signalling you've cleared the initial ID check. Oh, how cutting edge! Then u run to where the plastic bins are....and u have to take out ur laptop and put it separately, then ur shoes, belt and other misc items are throw it in the bin. Then u stand in an orb with ur hands above ur head and have another moron tell u when it's ok to leave. U wait 10 secs and they say "go"....as if I didn't already know i was gonna be fine to travel. Gee, thanks.


then u walk an endless distance to ur gate where half the people are either laying across 3 to 4 chairs or are on the floor charging whatever device they have their greasy paws on.

To make it tolerable, I try and have a good playlist going and my earbuds in and if I can grab a good starbucks coffee and pastrie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2015, 12:09 PM
 
Location: Cedar Park, Texas
1,601 posts, read 2,477,864 times
Reputation: 1159
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
It's definitely gotten worse.
The whole experience is a borderline nightmare.

From the long lines and the hoards and masses laying all over the airport floor, to the gross bathrooms and the what seems like constant delays and just poor customer service in general. It's awful. I loathe flying...and not because im afraid to fly, rather I hate the whole charade of physically getting on the plane....the security line alone makes me wanna go cray.

U stand in line...and wait...and wait and wait and finally some slack-jawed, half brain-dead individual takes ur ID and ticket out of ur hand, looks u in the face, looks at ur id and then writes some BS on ur ticket...signalling you've cleared the initial ID check. Oh, how cutting edge! Then u run to where the plastic bins are....and u have to take out ur laptop and put it separately, then ur shoes, belt and other misc items are throw it in the bin. Then u stand in an orb with ur hands above ur head and have another moron tell u when it's ok to leave. U wait 10 secs and they say "go"....as if I didn't already know i was gonna be fine to travel. Gee, thanks.


then u walk an endless distance to ur gate where half the people are either laying across 3 to 4 chairs or are on the floor charging whatever device they have their greasy paws on.

To make it tolerable, I try and have a good playlist going and my earbuds in and if I can grab a good starbucks coffee and pastrie.
Funny -- I jump through all those hoops with a smile on my face and kind words for the people doing the jobs, and I don't get a "slack-jawed half brain-dead moron" response from them. I get pleasantries and smiles in return. In fact, I recently got an arm around the shoulder and a pat on the back from a TSA supervisor in Miami when I complimented one of his staff on a polite, pleasant job done!

But then again, I don't act (or think) as though I'm superior to them just because I'm flying and they're working...maybe that makes quite a difference in the response I receive? Hmmm...

And regardless of their attitude, it's still better than the alternative...at least you make it to your destination intact.

And finally, "greasy paws"? Seriously. You're really a piece of work!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2015, 12:26 PM
 
5,006 posts, read 7,347,948 times
Reputation: 8028
Quote:
Originally Posted by RooCeleste View Post
Funny -- I jump through all those hoops with a smile on my face and kind words for the people doing the jobs, and I don't get a "slack-jawed half brain-dead moron" response from them. I get pleasantries and smiles in return. In fact, I recently got an arm around the shoulder and a pat on the back from a TSA supervisor in Miami when I complimented one of his staff on a polite, pleasant job done!

But then again, I don't act (or think) as though I'm superior to them just because I'm flying and they're working...maybe that makes quite a difference in the response I receive? Hmmm...

And regardless of their attitude, it's still better than the alternative...at least you make it to your destination intact.

And finally, "greasy paws"? Seriously. You're really a piece of work!
lol.
While I may not be looking for hugs and kisses from TSA agents I do display basic courtesy and say please and thank-you, but I travel very often for business and I just get so sick of the often times ill-managed security lines, hold-ups, and random "searches" ...

And believe me, I dont think im better than anyone cuz im flying.... i'd rather not be flying. I dont like flying. I don't think it's glamorous or anything at all. It's awful. I've just encountered many rude TSA agents and a lot of them quite frankly are not very professional and to be quite honest...they look like crap. They look like a rent-a-cop or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top