U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 04:06 PM

3,710 posts, read 2,198,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
While don't think anyone would get on a plane for ~100-200 mile trip - the equivalent of your timeframe - I'm in your ballpark when it comes to getting behind the wheel to get to someplace within a day's drive. (That would be 400-500 miles for the wife and me.)
I actually do know people who have flown such short distances. They have their reasons even though they sure don't make sense to me!

I keep my trips these days to a days drive (though I will definitely go over 10 hours if need be) but only because I really can't take off more than a week now. Some day I'm doing a cross country driving expedition
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2015, 04:32 PM

4,395 posts, read 3,561,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
I actually do know people who have flown such short distances. They have their reasons even though they sure don't make sense to me!

I keep my trips these days to a days drive (though I will definitely go over 10 hours if need be) but only because I really can't take off more than a week now. Some day I'm doing a cross country driving expedition
I took a real short flight from IAH Houston to College Station. Took off and landed about 25 minutes later. Only reason was it was connecting flight. Flew from Atlanta to Houston then College Station. It's a route I had driven numerous times with ease (about an hour and a half) but it just made sense. Wasn't expensive compared to ending in Houston , maybe 20 bucks more but didn't have to worry about a rental car. Took more time to taxi in Houston than fly!

Old 01-21-2015, 06:05 PM

2,702 posts, read 3,743,255 times
I enjoy plane travel.. I also enjoy driving depending on where I am going and what I am going to see on the way....

Old 01-21-2015, 06:36 PM

1,254 posts, read 1,307,111 times
OF COURSE, I enjoy flying........

As long as I am acting as Pilot in Command of the aircraft!

Flying commercially?? HELL NO!

UNLESS......I'm I were in first or business class on a foreign carrier with free drinks of course!!

Old 01-21-2015, 06:38 PM

1,254 posts, read 1,307,111 times
I hate flying commercially sooo much that for my next trip to the Bahamas from Connecticut, I'm going to drive 1300 miles/2 days to West Palm Beach, and then fly myself as PIC from there to Mayaguana and Great Inagua, deep in the remote southeast Bahamas.

I still wouldn't use the airlines for this trip if it were FREE!!

I think its a bunch of nonsense that we HAVE to fly in this day and age

Yes, with very few exceptions, we have to drive, but we do NOT have to fly. There are PLENTY of cool places to vacation within 500 miles of home, where you can drive in a single day.

Old 01-21-2015, 08:06 PM

366 posts, read 300,671 times
I tend to favor road trips. I hate airplanes. Being herded like cattle into an aluminum tube with 150 other people is not my idea of a fun vacation. Some of the drawbacks of flying...

your flight being bumped, from airline's tendency to overbook

ear pain from the air pressure, and not being able to hear for the next two days after you land

screaming children for 4 hours

Wifi that never works

rude airline employees. The days of the friendly and smiling flight attendants seem to be long gone.

TSA's, or Police Academy rejects that like to act like a holes.

mute pilots who never communicate during the flight, leaving you wondering where the hell you are at, or how much longer your destination is.

tiny bags of chips being the only in flight offering for meals.

People in the airplane who like to stand there and stuff an oversized suitcase into the overhead.

Yes, a car is so much better. You can see the sights from the ground, stop and eat whenever you want, be on your own schedule and not at the mercy of the airline.

Old 01-22-2015, 04:48 AM

5,823 posts, read 10,156,163 times
I hate the car. After 5 years of driving, you 're not even halfway where with the airplane you are already landed since 4 hours. The rain on the windscreen , the stops at windy (did you notice highways are always windy?) petrol stations which all look the same and where it stinks of...petrol, and where you are expected to buy overpriced junk food.
Environmentally also cars (esp SUVs) are a dead end. And efficient electrical cars are not going to happen before a long long time...

Old 01-22-2015, 06:13 AM

366 posts, read 300,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
I hate the car. After 5 years of driving, you 're not even halfway where with the airplane you are already landed since 4 hours. The rain on the windscreen , the stops at windy (did you notice highways are always windy?) petrol stations which all look the same and where it stinks of...petrol, and where you are expected to buy overpriced junk food.
Environmentally also cars (esp SUVs) are a dead end. And efficient electrical cars are not going to happen before a long long time...

True. there are drawbacks to road travel as well. Flying is good if you are in a hurry or don't want to waste a two week vacay on the road, but say....traveling 800 miles or even 1000, only takes around a day or two, and you can focus on the journey.

Old 01-22-2015, 07:00 AM

8,787 posts, read 7,707,284 times
I swore off air travel when they made the seat room smaller. They obviously don't want my business. I'm 6'4"

Pigeonhole wrote:
Quote:
Environmentally also cars (esp SUVs) are a dead end.
Last time I checked, a passenger airplane burns fuel at the rate that the mpg per person is about 15mpg. I don't doubt that this may have improved, but that means a car is actually much cleaner, and if you put more than one person in the car, the efficiency is vastly greater.

Last edited by augiedogie; 01-22-2015 at 07:09 AM..

Old 01-22-2015, 09:09 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,601,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekab23 View Post
I tend to favor road trips. I hate airplanes. Being herded like cattle into an aluminum tube with 150 other people is not my idea of a fun vacation. Some of the drawbacks of flying...

your flight being bumped, from airline's tendency to overbook
They ALWAYS ask for volunteers first, and if you aren't flying as a non-rev or on a buddy pass and have checked in and arrived in a timely manner, your risk of being bumped is almost nil.

Quote:
ear pain from the air pressure, and not being able to hear for the next two days after you land
Seriously you've never heard of taking a decongestant? Works like a charm.

Quote:
screaming children for 4 hours
Ear plugs or noise cancelling ear phones take care of this issue.

Quote:
Wifi that never works
? It's worked on every flight I've tried to use it on.

Quote:
rude airline employees. The days of the friendly and smiling flight attendants seem to be long gone.
Overall I disagree. Sometimes you get one having a bad day, but typically they are as pleasant to you as you are to them.

Quote:
TSA's, or Police Academy rejects that like to act like a holes.
Three years ago I would have agreed, but they seem to have weeded out the worst of them. If you are in the right and know it, simply ask for a supervisor and they will back down.

Quote:
mute pilots who never communicate during the flight, leaving you wondering where the hell you are at, or how much longer your destination is.
You know what time you land, look at your watch. I hate chatty-Cathy pilots, I want to sleep on my flight, not being woken up to learn I'm over Palatka.

Quote:
tiny bags of chips being the only in flight offering for meals.
Bring your own meal if you truly can't go a few hours without eating. Or buy one of the snack/meal boxes offered on most flights. Given the quality of food on most airlines, I can't believe this is even an issue with people.

Quote:
People in the airplane who like to stand there and stuff an oversized suitcase into the overhead.
More and more airlines are using sizers and stopping people with oversized bags. I agree that this can be an issue, but it seems to be less and less of one lately.

Quote:
Yes, a car is so much better. You can see the sights from the ground, stop and eat whenever you want, be on your own schedule and not at the mercy of the airline.
And take two days to get someplace that you can fly to in a few hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or