Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2015, 02:38 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,948,820 times

Advertisements

If you have a favorite vacation spot, or particular hotel that you've liked in the past, do you check current reviews before returning? I was just checking out dates for a spot in the Caribbean that we've been to four times, and the latest reviews just aren't as good as I expected. It's been two years since we've last been .

We never thought this place was 5 stars by American standards (it's a popular spot for Europeans), but it was always well regarded by travel sites, and we overlooked the occasional glitch and ended up having a great time. I wonder how much credence to give current reviews over experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2015, 03:35 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,000,428 times
If I'm Going to be there for a few days, I will scan thru the reviews.

One times only places, on way to "Other" places, I generally will be in a chain flagged place. Like McDonald's I know what to expect.

But for places I've never been to, Been to but it's been a while, I will read thru the reviews, More or less I take a average of them, Discount the whiners, who have a long list of problems, and the one's who expect 5 star hotel @ 3 star price.

The review who were 1st time reviewers, that sound like it came from the marketing department, That give all 5 Stars and give glowing reviews.

Old 02-09-2015, 08:46 AM

32,638 posts, read 48,015,234 times
A lot can change in two years if there has been a change in management or a change in who is located next door.

Old 02-09-2015, 09:43 AM

11,794 posts, read 12,028,825 times
I think it's worth checking out to see what the buzz is about a property, as long as you know how to selectively read reviews. "Too far of a walk to the buffet" and "TV wasn't big enough" aren't legitimate, but anything to do with appearance, cleanliness and quality should be of concern.

I think it's worth checking to see when the last time was that a property was renovated, or if something is slated in the near future. Also, it helps to see if recent travellers have been and is there any construction at the resort or next to it that you should be aware of. I prefer to try different resorts, or at least a different hotel in that resort complex, but there is one in Jamaica that I loved and would be glad to go back to. That was 7 years ago so I would definitely check things out to see if it is worthwhile going again, or leave my great memories as they are and go somewhere new.

Old 02-09-2015, 09:53 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
If you have a favorite vacation spot, or particular hotel that you've liked in the past, do you check current reviews before returning? I was just checking out dates for a spot in the Caribbean that we've been to four times, and the latest reviews just aren't as good as I expected. It's been two years since we've last been .

We never thought this place was 5 stars by American standards (it's a popular spot for Europeans), but it was always well regarded by travel sites, and we overlooked the occasional glitch and ended up having a great time. I wonder how much credence to give current reviews over experience.
For the most part, no. I don't always check before my first visit as a matter of fact. Oh, I will check after I book, but before it totally depends on why we choose a place. We do usually check the accomodations though. I look at reviews this way; depending on where we get them, people are more inclined to write abut the negative than the positive. On the other hand, I can understand your concerns. Yes, properties, resorts, towns, ships, whatever can very from time to time. And yes, what was great 5 years ago could be the pits now and visa versa. If you are going to be swayed by what you are reading, think about the negative comments and see if these issues will really affect your enjoyment?

Old 02-09-2015, 12:31 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,414,536 times
Yeah sometimes I do, especially if it's been awhile.

Old 02-09-2015, 01:34 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times
I do, but I'm always on the lookout for reviews that appear to be fake or just plain unreasonable. It isn't foolproof, but I'm generally not giving much weight to a first time or infrequent reviewer or to reviews that are just plain bizarre. For instance, there's a review for a hotel I recently stayed at in London that is apparently from a repeat visitor to the hotel. Despite there being cheaper hotel options in the area, the reviewer (the reviewer also only had a handful of reviews to his name as well) claimed that the hotel has the worst/most uncomfortable beds he's ever slept on and, so, gave the place 2 of 5 stars; the review for was his multiple stays at this property. What strikes me as odd about that review, apart from the infrequency of the reviewer's reviewing activity, was that a traveler chose to spend good money on a hotel where the beds did not allow him to get a good night's sleep (the beds were very comfortable, by the way). That makes no sense to me! In another instance, a reviewer gave another hotel I stay at 1 out of 5 stars because they didn't have free toothbrushes and toothpaste in the rooms. Seriously? I sometimes wonder if many of these crock reviews are from an establishment's competition seeking to cause the establishment financial harm and direct business elsewhere.

Having written that, the reviews that give me the most insight into a place--the good and the bad--are often the middle of the road, average reviews from established reviewers. I value those most.

Old 02-09-2015, 02:22 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,000,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
. What strikes me as odd about that review, apart from the infrequency of the reviewer's reviewing activity, was that a traveler chose to spend good money on a hotel where the beds did not allow him to get a good night's sleep
Many time People who do multiple stays are not staying on there Dime. If they are traveling for work, it may be the only approved hotel in there system, So they have to stay there, (Does not mean they wont complain about being there.)

Had that happen few times when I travel for work, The Hotel I wanted to stay in was out of network, and would take high level approval to stay there, Not something that I wanted to push up to management level to get it approved, So I took the in network hotel that was there.

My Company get Discounts and end of year payout if they meet the total room night commitments they make with some chains.

Old 02-09-2015, 02:35 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Many time People who do multiple stays are not staying on there Dime. If they are traveling for work, it may be the only approved hotel in there system, So they have to stay there, (Does not mean they wont complain about being there.)

Had that happen few times when I travel for work, The Hotel I wanted to stay in was out of network, and would take high level approval to stay there, Not something that I wanted to push up to management level to get it approved, So I took the in network hotel that was there.

My Company get Discounts and end of year payout if they meet the total room night commitments they make with some chains.
Good point. And something that I will consider. Still, that alone didn't lead me to discounting the review in that particular instance. I know my method will lead me to discount some perfectly valid reviews, but that's a chance I'm willing to take.

Old 02-14-2015, 08:22 PM

403 posts, read 557,326 times
If I've been someplace (hotel, restaurant, etc.) and liked the place, why would I look at the reviews before going back? Most reviews are written by people who felt that the company didn't perform as expected, but that can also mean the customer had unrealistic expectations. All I need to know is that I enjoyed the place for me to return. If something has changed that makes me like the place less, then I will take that into account when deciding if I want to return again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel