U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 06:03 PM

836 posts, read 856,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCollege View Post
It's a flat fare JFK to Manhattan. $52 before toll and tips, so about $70 total.
^^this

I wouldn't pay $70 for a one way stop when I could pay about $55 for round trip transportation and unlimited metro card where I could go all around. I guess it depends on your budget. If you have money to spend go for it. I'd rather spend the money on a nice dinner, museum or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2015, 06:06 PM

11,673 posts, read 6,277,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
I highly recommend NOT using TKTS unless you are on a really tight budget and don't care what shows you see. On my first trip there (as an adult) we waited well over an hour in the TKTS line and ended up seeing some goofy nudist rave show we'd never heard of. The second time we went there, we booked ahead online and saw the show of our choice with a nice dinner package and some other perks to go along with it. Oh and no lines. It cost more but was well worth it. Every NYC tourist thinks they're onto some secret deal with TKTS, but in reality 3/4 of the tourists in the city are in line with you. The ones who know enough to show up hours early get all the preferred show tickets anyways, but is the savings worth all that time to you? Skip it, and find some other way to save a buck.
I don't know. I've had great luck using TKTS, specifically at their booth Downtown Brooklyn, which is much less crowded than the booths in Manhattan and especially less crowded than the Times Square booth. When in Brooklyn, it's rare for me to wait more than 10 minutes in line. And it makes sense as Downtown Brooklyn isn't the tourist destination as Times Square is, yet both locations sell the same tickets with a few restrictions (i.e. you can't buy same day matinee tickets in Brooklyn and you can't buy next day matinee tickets in Manhattan). When I use TKTS, there are a wide array of options of available shows. And TKTS will tell you to come with a list of shows you want to see, so you shouldn't be going in there blind anyway. But if you can't find what you're looking for then try another day or look into other options; but other options probably won't be your first choice if you're using a discount service to begin with. I'd agree that Time Square's TKTS booth can be a mess, but I don't use that booth for a reason; though at one time I had no choice but to use it.

Old 01-20-2015, 06:54 PM

5,574 posts, read 5,832,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
I highly recommend NOT using TKTS unless you are on a really tight budget and don't care what shows you see. On my first trip there (as an adult) we waited well over an hour in the TKTS line and ended up seeing some goofy nudist rave show we'd never heard of. The second time we went there, we booked ahead online and saw the show of our choice with a nice dinner package and some other perks to go along with it. Oh and no lines. It cost more but was well worth it. Every NYC tourist thinks they're onto some secret deal with TKTS, but in reality 3/4 of the tourists in the city are in line with you. The ones who know enough to show up hours early get all the preferred show tickets anyways, but is the savings worth all that time to you? Skip it, and find some other way to save a buck.
I used TKTS this past weekend, and we got our first choice (Kinky Boots) at 50% off. We had planned to show up an hour before it opened, but were running late and got there 30 minutes before. And we actually enjoyed our time in line talking to lots of other people about all the different shows.

I've used it before, and I'd use it again.

Old 01-20-2015, 08:46 PM

22,592 posts, read 12,332,190 times
May I also suggest:

MOMA - the Museum Of Modern Art (probably the best modern art museum in the world)

The Tenement Museum - housed in a real 19th Century tenement apartment house. Interprets the lives of poor immigrants to NYC in the 19th Century. Fascinating!

If the weather is nice the round trip ferry ride to Staten Island takes you right past the Statue of Liberty.

Chinatown.

Little Italy.

Central Park.

World Trade Center and "Ground Zero."

In my opinion the things I mentioned are not just nice ... they are "MUSTS" ...

Old 01-20-2015, 08:52 PM

10,830 posts, read 26,410,486 times
There is an app you can use as well, if you are flexible on the shows, for discount tickets and the lottery. You do not always have to go to the box office anymore. It's on Apple and Google and is free, called Today Tix, and works for last-minute tickets.

TodayTix - Free iOS & Android app for discount NYC theater tickets

The TKTS booth can be a good place as well, again, if you are flexible. I especially like TKTS if you are on the spur of the moment and have flexibility because proceeds support the non-profit Theatre Development Fund. There is also a TKTS app for your phone that lets you browse shows.

https://www.tdf.org/nyc/7/TKTS-ticket-booths

Check Broadway.org for a listing of shows, and availability of tickets if you have specific shows that you want to see. There is an app for Broadway.org and another for Broadway.com, both of which will give you good information on shows.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 01-20-2015, 11:20 PM

2,388 posts, read 2,953,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiKate View Post
Thanks. How much do you think the cab fare from any of the airports to say Central Park would be?
If you're staying in Manhattan I would suggest flying into EWR. It's really quick and easy to get the train from the airport into Penn Station and I feel like EWR in general is slightly more manageable than JFK.

If you are flying into JFK don't take the airtrain to the subway - that subway ride takes a year and a day to get into the city. Take the airtrain to Jamaica Station then get on the next LIRR train to Penn Station. The ride from Jamaica takes about 15 minutes and is well worth the extra $4.

Also, IMO, mid April to late May is the best time of year to go. You'll get temps that are consistently in the 60s and 70s which is great for walking around/exploring. Later and the city starts to get a little swampy. Before then it can be cooler and you're more likely to run into a rained out weekend.

Old 01-21-2015, 03:59 AM

32,063 posts, read 32,962,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
May I also suggest:

MOMA - the Museum Of Modern Art (probably the best modern art museum in the world)

If the weather is nice the round trip ferry ride to Staten Island takes you right past the Statue of Liberty.
If you can manage to go to the MOMA on a Friday afternoon after 4PM, I believe there is a suggested contribution instead the regular admission price.

The advantage of the Staten Island ferry is that it is free and runs approx. every 30 minutes. Although they make everyone can off the boat on the Staten Island side, if one rushes one can usually make the departing ferry back. Alternately one can go see the nearby 9/11 Memorial for the Staten Island residents which is approx. a 5 minute walk outside the terminal building while waiting for the next ferry back to Manhattan.

Old 01-21-2015, 08:03 AM

3,603 posts, read 1,556,409 times
Fly into EWR and depending on your budget you can get cheaper hotels in NJ . You can then take a train to Penn station.

But within New York, have a map, just keep walking around. that's the most fun. Or for longer distances, just hop in to the metros.

Old 01-21-2015, 09:29 AM

2,483 posts, read 3,534,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I don't know. I've had great luck using TKTS, specifically at their booth Downtown Brooklyn, which is much less crowded than the booths in Manhattan and especially less crowded than the Times Square booth. When in Brooklyn, it's rare for me to wait more than 10 minutes in line. And it makes sense as Downtown Brooklyn isn't the tourist destination as Times Square is, yet both locations sell the same tickets with a few restrictions (i.e. you can't buy same day matinee tickets in Brooklyn and you can't buy next day matinee tickets in Manhattan). When I use TKTS, there are a wide array of options of available shows. And TKTS will tell you to come with a list of shows you want to see, so you shouldn't be going in there blind anyway. But if you can't find what you're looking for then try another day or look into other options; but other options probably won't be your first choice if you're using a discount service to begin with. I'd agree that Time Square's TKTS booth can be a mess, but I don't use that booth for a reason; though at one time I had no choice but to use it.
That sounds completely reasonable. I've only been there as a tourist so of course I got sucked into that Times Square booth which was hours of waiting and almost no shows when we got there. So the OP should just be aware of that. It sounds like there are a lot of other options theses days. Still, if you have your heart set on a particular show, especially a very popular one, you should consider just paying whatever you have to to make sure you get what you want without a lot of hassle. Even with a direct online purchase at essentially full price, they offered discounts and packages that made it seem like a decent deal. Also the convenience of having tickets in hand well ahead of time is worth a lot when you only have limited time and a lot to do.

Other than that, the most enjoyable things I've done in NYC were walking in Central park, going to the Met (in limited doses), and eating. The most memorable eating experiences I had were when we were just walking down the street and went into some random place and it was excellent. This is why, even though I'm not a big fan of NYC as a whole, I've said it is the best food destination in the US (and I lived very near SF for many years). Because it's not just that their notable, famous, fancy restaurants are the best, but because you can pick a random place on a random street in a decent neighborhood, and chances are that it'll be great. And that's not even counting the Delis!!! Also, I had what was by far the best sashimi I've ever had in my life there (and I've had a lot of sashimi in various places), but it was like $80 for one entree, so you get what you pay for there.

Old 01-21-2015, 09:46 AM

10,830 posts, read 26,410,486 times
If you are a Bank of America or Merrill Lynch card holder, don't forget the Museums on Us promotion. The Metropolitan Museum of Art, MoMA, and Queens Museum of Art are among the participating institutions in the city. Check the details on the website for days that an institution participates. I think MoMA has restricted participation in 2015, possibly only through January; however, Friday nights from 4-8PM are free, sponsored by UNIQLO, just be sure to get a ticket from the museum office on the Friday you wish to visit.

The Museum of Natural History and The Met are suggested donation institutions, owing to the nature of the land lease, i.e., they are on public land, so may not fully operate as a private institution with a fixed price like MoMA or The Guggenheim.

There are passes available where you can gain free/discounted admission to attractions for a fee, which can work well for a tourist who wants to see many attractions. The Guggenheim participates in a few of the passes, and has links on their website: Offers & Savings . To make a pass work, you need to plan your days, so that you maximize the benefit. For a few attractions, you may not save as much as you would without the pass.

Friends of mine from Australia love to visit the city, and they tend to prefer buses because they can actually see the city, as opposed to the subway, especially for shorter distances. Some buses are slower, but you can experience more of the city, but for a longer distance, say to go to Queens for the Noguchi Museum or to Flushing for the Queens Museum, especially to see the Panorama of New York, which dates to the 1964 World Fair and has been updated since.

Panorama of the City of New York | Queens Museum

If you plan to take the Statue of Liberty or Ellis Island tours, you can sometimes save much time by accessing via the New Jersey side. You would take the PATH train from Lower Manhattan or 33rd Street to Liberty State Park where a shuttle meets you to go to the docks. You can leave the islands via boat to New York, as you do not have to go back through New Jersey.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or