Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 12:43 PM

8,864 posts, read 8,435,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
if the cost of a visa is a real concern to you, you can't afford the trip.
+1.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2015, 12:51 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,485,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
it is probably 20% of the hassle the Chinese need to go through in order to get a US visa.
Not a surprise. There are even Chinese coming in illegally through Mexico. How many Westerners want to immigrate illegally to China ? The U>S. is simply too attractive. You can't just give anyone who walks in a visa. China could. So do many other countries ( see "visa on arrival").

Just because Argentina is upset that they didn't make the visa waiver list, I'm not gonna pay 150 Dollars for their retaliatory fee.Especially Brazil. If I remember correctly, half of Brazilians in the U.S. live there illegally.
The U.S. visa fee might be high, but at least it's genuine and they actually do something.

Quote:
If the cost of a visa is a real concern to you, you can't afford the trip.
That's simply false.

Egypt Cancels Visa Fee for Russians as Tourism Wanes | Business | The Moscow Times

Thailand ponders visa fee waiver for Chinese tourists - The Nation

Budget Revision: Visa fee waiver for tourists - Nation | The Star Online

Visa fee waiver boost to tourism, says RHB Research | Daily Express Newspaper Online, Sabah, Malaysia.

I certainly is a consideration for a lot of people You can't charge people high fees and expect them to shut up and pay up. That works only to a certain degree for countries that are very attractive to tourists.
5 Dollars isn't a lot of money, but it is when you have to pay 5 Dollars for a slice of bread. You want to get what you pay for, right ?

And Brazil seems to realize that ripping off (American) tourists isn't good for business.

It might get easier to travel to Brazil soon -- Fusion

Old 01-23-2015, 01:46 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,716,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
Not a surprise. There are even Chinese coming in illegally through Mexico. How many Westerners want to immigrate illegally to China ? The U>S. is simply too attractive. You can't just give anyone who walks in a visa. China could. So do many other countries ( see "visa on arrival").

Just because Argentina is upset that they didn't make the visa waiver list, I'm not gonna pay 150 Dollars for their retaliatory fee.Especially Brazil. If I remember correctly, half of Brazilians in the U.S. live there illegally.

The U.S. visa fee might be high, but at least it's genuine and they actually do something.

And Brazil seems to realize that ripping off (American) tourists isn't good for business.
I agree you can't let anyone in the USA as many may choose to stay illegally.

But I don't understand why you claim Brazil is ripping off Americans. You charge Brazilians $150 and ask them to fill out complicated forms, don't you? Or you think just because I am from a rich country, I should receive better treatment, the thing is, America has 315 million people and not everyone is well off. There are plenty of Americans China and Brazil don't want into their country and there needs to be a screening process. Imagine a completely jobless American with $200 in his pocket can travel freely to China or Brazil to "teach English", while hundreds of wealthy Chinese and Brazilian people might not receive American visa due a variety of reasons. Do you think that's fair, that people should be judged solely based on the passports they hold?

True not many Americans will stay in those countries illegally. But that's NOT the only concern for visa purposes. China and Brazil need to know if this person has a legitimate reason to enter their country, whether he might cause trouble, and whether he has enough money to finance its travel. Do you think these shouldn't be considered? Or just because you are American, everything should be made easy? Not every country looks up to America like that.

Old 01-23-2015, 02:52 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Quote:
I agree you can't let anyone in the USA as many may choose to stay illegally.

But I don't understand why you claim Brazil is ripping off Americans. You charge Brazilians $150 and ask them to fill out complicated forms, don't you? Or you think just because I am from a rich country, I should receive better treatment, the thing is, America has 315 million people and not everyone is well off. There are plenty of Americans China and Brazil don't want into their country and there needs to be a screening process. Imagine a completely jobless American with $200 in his pocket can travel freely to China or Brazil to "teach English", while hundreds of wealthy Chinese and Brazilian people might not receive American visa due a variety of reasons. Do you think that's fair, that people should be judged solely based on the passports they hold?

True not many Americans will stay in those countries illegally. But that's NOT the only concern for visa purposes. China and Brazil need to know if this person has a legitimate reason to enter their country, whether he might cause trouble, and whether he has enough money to finance its travel. Do you think these shouldn't be considered? Or just because you are American, everything should be made easy? Not every country looks up to America like that.
Life isn't always fair, is it?

Old 01-23-2015, 02:55 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,716,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Life isn't always fair, is it?
No, it isn't. I get that. so there is no point complaining "Why do we Americans even have to go through the humiliating visa process like those poor country people". Other countries respect US's visa policy and Americans should respect theirs.

Old 01-23-2015, 03:00 PM

7,775 posts, read 10,152,240 times
Yes, I skipped Vietnam last year and went to Thailand instead.

Old 01-23-2015, 05:21 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Quote:
No, it isn't. I get that. so there is no point complaining "Why do we Americans even have to go through the humiliating visa process like those poor country people". Other countries respect US's visa policy and Americans should respect theirs.
You're preaching to the choir.

Old 01-23-2015, 06:39 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,235,896 times
I've never considered the visa fee. In fact, I never know what it is until I've already committed to the destination!

Old 01-24-2015, 12:14 AM

2,918 posts, read 5,605,540 times
If I was travelling to the southern cone and Brazil/Bolivia I would use my Mexican passport instead of my US passport to avoid the ridiculous visa fees. Otherwise I don't really pay attention to visa fees. For my long-ish trips to Asia I assume US$200-ish in total visa costs when I am making my rough draft budgets, and that is what it typically comes out to. Not a major part of the budget.

Old 01-24-2015, 07:51 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Quote:
If the cost of a visa is a real concern to you, you can't afford the trip.
That's not your call. It's like saying if you can't afford a 5-star hotel, you can't afford the trip.

In the case of, say, Bolivia, the visas cost as much as about five days hotel and meals. Nigeria, maybe two or three weeks. Doesn't a traveler get to decide for himself which of those are more in line with his purposes of travel?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel